Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now What?

So are we done for the Class of 2014? It would seem so, but I guess you never know for sure.

I think Coach Marshall is pretty pleased with the character he has on this roster.

I'm thinking the focus now turns toward the Class of 2015 and beyond:

Tekele Cotton and Darius Carter will be our only seniors next year and, of course, Ron Baker could very well decide to declare for the NBA.

Not sure how you replace a Tekele Cotton and a Ron Baker (if it comes to that) when you weigh the entire package of tangible skills, intangibles, BBIQ, maturity, leadership etc., etc.

Darius ain't none to shabby himself and it will be interesting to see what he brings to the table next year especially if he hits it hard this summer.

I am so excited to see who we sign this fall for c/o 2015.

A smaller class lets the coaches focus a little more intensely on their top candidates. Whoever we get is going to be pretty dadgum good.

Comment

Now we sit back and wait! Discuss possible line ups and red shirt candiates!

Comment

What I've heard seems to indicate that we may not be done for 2014, for what it's worth.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
          What I've heard seems to indicate that we may not be done for 2014, for what it's worth.
          Interesting.

Comment

Last edited by choida; April 25, 2014, 02:44 PM.

Comment

You better find the forensics coach and tell her what you know right now.

Sorry SN. That is an inside joke

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                Now we sit back and wait! Discuss possible line ups and red shirt candiates!
                I want to bring the redshirt a juco debate from the Tevin topic over here . . .

I wasn't the first to bring up redshirting BWam, but I want to explore that idea here. Let me first say I'm not suggesting it should be done or that it's even likely. I'm just putting out a potential scenario.

First, I think we can mostly agree that Marshall doesn't like wasting a year of eligibility on a player who might only get spot minutes. If that were not true, I don't think Holland would have redshirted. We also know that redshirt decisions aren't made until close to the first game. So the idea that summer practices (which coaches can't watch anyway) determine such things is ridiculous.

Now, let's first examine Bush's experience. He played a season of NAIA, which I don't think is anywhere close to the competition in D1 juco, especially for big men. So his first real taste of good competition was this past season. His numbers were Ok, but not eye-popping. But as we know with jucos, it's hard to base much on big-man stats. I watched a couple of his games. He has strengths and weaknesses. I thought he fumbled the ball too much at times. He's good defensively on ball screens. He rebounds OK, and blocks fairly well. Foot work was mediocre. He scored so little I have no idea if he can hit anything outside of a layup. The big question is how well will his strengths transition to D1 and how much more will his weaknesses be exposed?

Now let's look at the competition for minutes. I'm going to presume that Glass and Carter will start at the 4 and 5, respectively. I expect Kelly to back up the 4 and possibly Carter to get some minutes there. The real question is, who backs up Carter at the 5? Shaq has had a year in the system. If he has his "motor" and endurance issues fixed and can hold his own on defense, he could serve as a guy who can play 12-15 minutes a game there. If so, then Wamukota would have to be good enough to eat into those minutes.

If Bush comes in having improved considerably over this past year, then this discussion is futile. But if not, he may be only looking at spot minutes or garbage time. Why waste a year of eligibility on a guy who, with another year of development and teamed with Shaq, could be a major force in the paint for two years? The redshirt could always be taken off in the event of an injury.

I don't think we've had the luxury of bringing in a juco guy when there were two others at their position. Because of that, and if Shaq is a serviceable backup, I can see a plausible scenario for redshirting Wamukota.

Comment

Based upon certain curious circumstances, I wondered, if something else was in the wind.

I emailed a tried and true insider about my wonder and he did not respond.

Your post has heightened my wonder.
                  "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

All in for Seventh woods!!

Comment

I believe Woods is class of 2016, unless he reclassified.
                      The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                        Based upon certain curious circumstances, I wondered, if something else was in the wind.

Ricky, have you been e-mailing Danny Ainge again?

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                          All in for Seventh woods!!
                          Might as well add 'Heartbreaker', Thon Maker...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

@RoyalShock:,

Shaq has come a long way, and based on the last practice I was able to catch part of is a viable 5 at this point.

He is still young, but practicing against Lufile and Coleby has been much to his benefit, and he matched up well on Darius (ok, he got blown by a couple times, but he is a Freshman) and scored at will when he wound up with Cle on him.

Im have my concerns, but motor and desire arent two of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post

Sullentrop even indicated in his article this morning announcing the signing of Glass that there may be more to come. That's intriguing as I didn't think we had any shollies available.

Comment

Working...
                              X