Akolda Manyang 7-0, Class of 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shocker91 View Post
    I saw Akolda Manyang play live in Kansas City at one of the Tom Tietze events at Okun Fieldhouse. Very nice 7-ish footer. Maybe more like 6'10"-6'11", though, if we're being honest (in spite of what that body analyzer printout says; not quite Garrett's height).

SUPER long wingspan. I don't think the video above does it justice. Incredible shot blocker. May be one of the best in his class. Very natural timing and gets off the ground quick. Offensively, he is limited but has lots of tools. Gets buckets purely from his activity (offensive boards/putbacks, loose ball plays, transition, etc.). However, the highlight is obviously just that--a highlight. The kid probably ran the floor for a bucket twice in the two games I saw him, so bear that in mind. While he runs the floor hard, he normally isn't going to be out in front; he'll be there for trail putbacks. He also plays strong; so even though he's lean, he doesn't shy from contact at all.

Overall, my impression of Manyang from that tourney was that he was a high-major talent. He needs some work offensively, but he's so active, rebounds so well, and blocks shots so naturally that he could be a contributor early in the right place. Upon leaving, I honestly told someone I thought he was the kind of kid you could develop and bring along slowly to play the middle of the zone at 'Cuse or Baylor. He's that kind of shotblocker and athlete. His AAU team (Howard Pulley) also had a couple others whose offers/looks were mid-level that I thought could be system HM guys.

Lastly, a funny story: Tubby Smith was at the first of his games that I saw. Manyang got back on D quickly on a fastbreak and waited at the rim for this 6'3" wing from Team Illinois who didn't care about the big man. The wing slow-stepped, cocked it back, and went right at Manyang. Manyang barely even needed to jump to swat this kid's dunk attempt five rows deep in the coaches' section. All the other coaches kept poker faces, but Tubby went into a full-on belly laugh.
    Nice review.

Did you play college ball? Are you a coach?
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

this guy. sign him.

Comment

Yes sir!!!

Comment

I've made some inquiry but the only info back is expect him to decide in the Spring which is no surprise. His facebook says he's living in Jacksonville, Florida. I believe Coach Heiar is our lead recruiter for Manyang.
          Last edited by tropicalshox; October 7, 2012, 05:00 AM.
          In the fast lane

Comment

This guy gives a whole new meaning to Man-yang

Comment

Bump

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                Bump
                Things that make you go hmmmm...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

He must be decent; read on 'Twitter' that he's also being recruited by K-Who and OU.

Comment

Now that it's known his coach is headed to Arizona State, what are the odds he ends up there?

Comment

Looks like he is in the 2015 class, not leaving early this year:

"Akolda Manyang, a 7’0 center at Indian Hills CC, is now being actively recruited by Kansas. Manyang, who is one of the top 2015 prospects in the JUCO ranks, has the ability to change the game on both ends because he can block and alter shots and score the ball around the rim."

The full article is here:

Comment

Probably going to Kentucky.
                        FINAL FOURS:
                        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                        Number of Times Ranked: 157
                        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                        #3 - Dec. 2017
                        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                        #2 ~ March 2014
                        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                            Probably going to Kentucky.
                            Why you do dis?

Comment

so class of 2013 now?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                                Why you do dis?
                                You haven't figured it out yet? I think @AZ Shocker: had a bet with someone on the Wichita State vs Kentucky game and lost the bet. Now he's required to mention Kentucky in all his posts.

Comment

Working...
                                X