Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yessssss! Excellent!

Comment

This is wonderful signing and Coach IB was the catalyst. Maybe we can utilize Kenny at the front/top of a Syracuse type zone to pester the guards we face. I also like the various versitilities of our bigs we now have that we can utilize on both sides of the court.
      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

A Fr big looked like the best possible use for one of the last three scholarships. I wasn't really expecting Pohto to be that guy. I thought that was too much to expect from the recruiting of a first-year head coach in his first recruiting class, especially after not being able to effectively recruit as long as he had the interim status.

About everybody who's seen him talks about his high BBIQ. That goes a long way on the court and seemed to be missing from Poor Bear and Bilau. Didn't play AAU ball, which I think is a plus. He got that level of competition at Sunrise. Sometimes the AAU players are unhappy if they're not immediately "the guy". Pohto seems more likely than most to stick around his entire college career.

Haven't seen a lot of these guys play, but the Shox are starting to look like a team that will be able to sub deep and keep fresh legs on the court.

At this point, I'd be happy with Thiam, the JuCo sniper who seems a little one-dimensional. With the players already on the roster, taking a bit of a risk on a guy who hits nearly 50% from deep might be worth using a scholarship.

Comment

HCIB succeeded in keeping the Shocks relevant this year. Maybe more than they had been the previous 2 years.

That was major for the program, going forward. It appears to have paid off, so far...

Comment

I am very excited about adding Pohto and McFarlane to the roster for next year and the fact that they will both be just a Freshman and Sophomore.

Comment

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
              A Fr big looked like the best possible use for one of the last three scholarships. I wasn't really expecting Pohto to be that guy. I thought that was too much to expect from the recruiting of a first-year head coach in his first recruiting class, especially after not being able to effectively recruit as long as he had the interim status.

About everybody who's seen him talks about his high BBIQ. That goes a long way on the court and seemed to be missing from Poor Bear and Bilau. Didn't play AAU ball, which I think is a plus. He got that level of competition at Sunrise. Sometimes the AAU players are unhappy if they're not immediately "the guy". Pohto seems more likely than most to stick around his entire college career.

Haven't seen a lot of these guys play, but the Shox are starting to look like a team that will be able to sub deep and keep fresh legs on the court.

At this point, I'd be happy with Thiam, the JuCo sniper who seems a little one-dimensional. With the players already on the roster, taking a bit of a risk on a guy who hits nearly 50% from deep might be worth using a scholarship.
              Agree with all of this.

The only remaining question, and it's not a small one, is who is going to be the point man for the Shocks next year? I'd like to see 'em come up with a good young point guard, unless Qua can give them 20-25 minutes at the point.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                HCIB succeeded in keeping the Shocks relevant this year. Maybe more than they had been the previous 2 years.

That was major for the program, going forward. It appears to have paid off, so far...
                I don’t think the importance of winning the AAC regular season and going to the dance this year can be understated. It showed potential recruits that WSU is still a place you go if you want to compete for championships. The returning players plus this recruiting class look like they can continue that momentum.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I don’t think the importance of winning the AAC regular season and going to the dance this year can be understated. It showed potential recruits that WSU is still a place you go if you want to compete for championships. The returning players plus this recruiting class look like they can continue that momentum.
                  I'd say...

Comment

All I'm hearing is crickets from the usual downers. Where you at?

Comment

Agree with all of this.

The only remaining question, and it's not a small one, is who is going to be the point man for the Shocks next year? I'd like to see 'em come up with a good young point guard, unless Qua can give them 20-25 minutes at the point.
                      I think you are underestimating Craig Porter. He is a true point guard who was a juco all American.

Comment

Agree with all of this.

A Fr PG would be the next "priority" recruit, but it would have to be a guy good enough to play in the AAC and willing to wait his turn to lead the team. That might be a tough combo of ability and attitude to find. Porter and Grant will both be Jr's, so a Fr PG would have to be mighty salty in year 1 to see much court time.

who is going to be the point man for the Shocks next year?
                        Good question. The competition for starting should be intense. I suspect we will have PG by committee next year. Grant seems to be hard to beat. Porter has a year in the system. With the different look in the front court, it's going to be a different look needed from the PG.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                          All I'm hearing is crickets from the usual downers. Where you at?
                          Who cares....lol
                          It's a great day to be a SHOCKER!!!!!!!
                          FINAL FOURS:
                          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                          Number of Times Ranked: 157
                          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                          #3 - Dec. 2017
                          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                          #2 ~ March 2014
                          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Welcome to WSU Mr Pohto. As fans we won't let you down. Go Shocks

Comment

Originally posted by WeWillShockU View Post

I think you are underestimating Craig Porter. He is a true point guard who was a juco all American.
                              JUCO guards tend to make a big jump their second year.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                                It'd be nice if we could get him. He has a lot of skills. It appears he is starting all over with his recruiting. He knows Wichita, which may or may not be good (depending on his experiences).
                                Kenny Pohto was at the top of my Christmas Recruit Wish list.

He was obviously Recruiting Plan A as Shoxlax would put it, and the reason we passed on Muscadin.

He comes from a Top 5 Prep Program and likely is higher than the 140’s ranking he received from 247.

He is probably the jewel recruit of this class, and has a really high ceiling. I would suspect he plans to contribute immediately, although often Freshmen aren’t as prepared as they think. However, I doubt he will be patient enough to wait two years to be a significant contributor. I hope he develops fast.

IB hit a Homerun out of the park on this one. He will have to manage the problem of talent, possible lack of PT, and personalities but that’s a nice problem to have. He did a nice job of that this year, but next year with the infusion of new talent, he will for sure earn his 1 Million + dollars.

Comment

Working...
                                X