No announcement yet.

Brandon Gardner - 6'7" SF Class of 2023 Offered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've kinda lost our way, but I sorta recall Antoine at about 7, Cliff at 37, Ozell Jones at 90. Dreiling was 2 I think, with Sherrod at maybe 10. X was not top 50, his classmate that went to DePaul was tho. Evans at 65-70, but I'm less certain about him than the others

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      We've kinda lost our way, but I sorta recall Antoine at about 7, Cliff at 37, Ozell Jones at 90. Dreiling was 2 I think, with Sherrod at maybe 10. X was not top 50, his classmate that went to DePaul was tho. Evans at 65-70, but I'm less certain about him than the others
      I’ll take Tyrone Corbin for $500. I used to by the magazines with the player rankings. Either you’re using a cheat-sheet (kept your old mags) or your memory is off the charts. X was barely in the top 100 IIRC.
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I was thinking Evans was in the 30’s, but it was quite a while ago, I could be way off

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I’ll take Tyrone Corbin for $500. I used to by the magazines with the player rankings. Either you’re using a cheat-sheet (kept your old mags) or your memory is off the charts. X was barely in the top 100 IIRC.
          sometimes it is

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            I was thinking Evans was in the 30’s, but it was quite a while ago, I could be way off
            I could have also sworn he was right around the 25 mark and a borderline Burger Boy.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Sherrod was top 10, at worst.

Evans was a consensus top 50 for sure. Surely he was top 25 in a few.
              Sherrod was the MVP, and therefore received notoriety for his play during the 1981 Burger Boy game which was played in the Roundhouse at Wichita State. Other notables included Michael Jordan and Chris Mullin.

The game was not televised, but highlights were aired by NBC Sports during Sportsworld on April 12. The East roster included the best big man in the 1981 class, Patrick Ewing (who did not play in this game), guard Michael Jordan and forward Chris Mullin. The West team could count on local stars Greg Dreiling, a 7-1 center who averaged 26.7 points for his high school team, and guard Aubrey Sherrod, the only player who was still undecided regarding his college choice. Both players went on to attend Wichita State. The West team also had more size, having 7 players standing 6-9 or taller, while the East had two of the best guards, Jordan and Milt Wagner. The game started at 8 PM and initially saw the West team take the lead, with the East team scoring their first points on a Jordan jumpshot with 7:54 minutes left in the first quarter. Jordan's basket started a 10-point run for the East, which outscored the West 21-12 in the first quarter. The second quarter ended 31-28 in favor of the West team, and at halftime the score was East 49, West 43.[1] The East kept the lead until the fourth quarter, when the West went ahead 81-80 on a Hurt layup with 6:34 left. Aubrey Sherrod scored on a jumpshot with 22 seconds remaining, and the score was West 95, East 94. When the East regained possession of the ball, Jordan was fouled, and scored both free throws bringing the score to 96-95 for the East team. The West could win the game but Mark Acres missed the decisive free throw, shooting it short, and the game ended with the East win.[1] Jordan set a new scoring record with 30 points on 13/19 shooting (4/4 from the free throw line): the record lasted for 18 years, until the 1999 game when Jonathan Bender scored 31 points. Despite Jordan's scoring effort, the MVP award went to Adrian Branch and Aubrey Sherrod.[2][3] Of the 25 players, 14 went on to play at least 1 game in the NBA.

During those years in the City League, there were several Division 1 players with Karl Papke, and a player from West who went to Iowa State, etc.There were more that I'm just not remembering now.
              Last edited by Shockm; March 23, 2021, 09:41 AM.

Comment

I went to see Collegiate play that year, a couple of times, and to be honest, I was disappointed in Evan's play. But 23 years ago, there was still a big discrepancy in athletes in 3A vs. 5A basketball (not shooter but athlete and at 6'5 and 210 and he could jump out of the gym ), and Evans was such a great athlete, he didn't have to work very hard to be the best athlete/player on the floor. Today, probably less true, but Evan's could get a shot from wherever he wanted to at that time.

Whatever, Evans did in High School, he exploded at Wichita State.

Comment

My memories of Ozell was that he was the 6th Best Center coming out of high school. While he wasn't at the rating of Levingston, he was still around a Top 10S0 player who was an eraser on the defensive end but really raw offensively. Slight of build at 6'11 and 210 or so, but really long arms. He couldn't shoot at all (<50% free throws), but he could block shots.

Ratings wise, Aubrey, Antoine, and Dreiling would have all been 5* players (Ricky Ross too but he didn't come to WSU), but the rest would have been high 4* players.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                    My memories of Ozell was that he was the 6th Best Center coming out of high school. While he wasn't at the rating of Levingston, he was still around a Top 10S0 player who was an eraser on the defensive end but really raw offensively. Slight of build at 6'11 and 210 or so, but really long arms. He couldn't shoot at all (<50% free throws), but he could block shots.

Ratings wise, Aubrey, Antoine, and Dreiling would have all been 5* players (Ricky Ross too but he didn't come to WSU), but the rest would have been high 4* players.
                    My memory of Ozell Jones includes him coming out of the tunnel wearing a hair net.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Sherrod was the MVP, and therefore received notoriety for his play during the 1981 Burger Boy game which was played in the Roundhouse at Wichita State. Other notables included Michael Jordan and Chris Mullin.

The game was not televised, but highlights were aired by NBC Sports during Sportsworld on April 12. The East roster included the best big man in the 1981 class, Patrick Ewing (who did not play in this game), guard Michael Jordan and forward Chris Mullin. The West team could count on local stars Greg Dreiling, a 7-1 center who averaged 26.7 points for his high school team, and guard Aubrey Sherrod, the only player who was still undecided regarding his college choice. Both players went on to attend Wichita State. The West team also had more size, having 7 players standing 6-9 or taller, while the East had two of the best guards, Jordan and Milt Wagner. The game started at 8 PM and initially saw the West team take the lead, with the East team scoring their first points on a Jordan jumpshot with 7:54 minutes left in the first quarter. Jordan's basket started a 10-point run for the East, which outscored the West 21-12 in the first quarter. The second quarter ended 31-28 in favor of the West team, and at halftime the score was East 49, West 43.[1] The East kept the lead until the fourth quarter, when the West went ahead 81-80 on a Hurt layup with 6:34 left. Aubrey Sherrod scored on a jumpshot with 22 seconds remaining, and the score was West 95, East 94. When the East regained possession of the ball, Jordan was fouled, and scored both free throws bringing the score to 96-95 for the East team. The West could win the game but Mark Acres missed the decisive free throw, shooting it short, and the game ended with the East win.[1] Jordan set a new scoring record with 30 points on 13/19 shooting (4/4 from the free throw line): the record lasted for 18 years, until the 1999 game when Jonathan Bender scored 31 points. Despite Jordan's scoring effort, the MVP award went to Adrian Branch and Aubrey Sherrod.[2][3] Of the 25 players, 14 went on to play at least 1 game in the NBA.

During those years in the City League, there were several Division 1 players with Karl Papke, and a player from West who went to Iowa State, etc.There were more that I'm just not remembering now.
                      Sherrod was well established before the McDonald's game. Top 10 (at least) going into his senior season at Heights. He proved it by being MVP of the Capitol Classic.

Eddie Smith from West High. Was one of Lute's first recruits after taking over at Arizona (don't remember if He went the juco route though).

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

My memory of Ozell Jones includes him coming out of the tunnel wearing a hair net.

Hoppy was good one! Truly, he was a crowd favorite.

Hated to see him transfer. WSU could have used him in 81 (ineligible right before post-season play). They might have gone farther than the Elite 8. Who took his place in the starting rotation during the tournament? Was it the freshman Papke?

hoppy.jpgOzell-Jones.jpg

Last edited by ShockingButTrue; March 23, 2021, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Sherrod was well established before the McDonald's game. Top 10 (at least) going into his senior season at Heights. He proved it by being MVP of the Capitol Classic.

Eddie Smith from West High. Was one of Lute's first recruits after taking over at Arizona (don't remember if He went the juco route though).
                          Eddie Smith was from South.

Comment

Are you thinking of Lester Pace from West. I believe he spend some time playing at OU.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

Are you thinking of Lester Pace from West. I believe he spend some time playing at OU.
                              Got the High Schools mixed up for sure. Eddie Smith, who played at Arizona under Lute Olsen, played at South High. I played basketball with his brothers Ronnie and Dexter.

The player from West High who went to Iowa (not Iowa State) was Kent Hill, whom I did want him to go to WSU out of High School. I believe Iowa got to Number 1 in the country Kent's junior or senior season (BJ Armsrong anyone?).
                              Last edited by ShockingButTrue; March 23, 2021, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Got the High Schools mixed up for sure. Eddie Smith, who played at Arizona under Lute Olsen, played at South High. I played basketball with his brothers Ronnie and Dexter.

The player from West High who went to Iowa (not Iowa State) was Kent Hill, whom I did want him to go to WSU out of High School. I believe Iowa got to Number 1 in the country Kent's junior or senior season.
                                Kent Kill was a beast. Loved watching him play, although as a Titan rooting for anything to do with the Pioneers was blasphemy.

Comment

Working...
                                X