Kuluel Mading 6'9 PF 2021 to Buffalo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim Ratt View Post
    Yes, as long as you haven't sneezed on them, or wiped your nose or mouth.
    There are options that you missed.

Comment

I've seen a few people hint there is a good chance we land this guy. Is there any evidence to substantiate his interest in WSU beyond tweeting his offer?

Comment

Playing for 2A state title on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

In case you aren’t being sarcastic, those are usually given out at showcase events so that coaches can keep track of the players from all the teams.
          That is good because I was concerned it might be his weight. Rivals and 247 list his as at 190 and both have him as a 3-Star. VC lists him at 175 and has him as a 2-star but his stock seems to be rising in terms of the schools who have inquired about him since he decomitted from Howard.

https://n.rivals.com/news/suitors-li...g-decommitment

I think his skill set and quickness make him attractive. At what weight he could play at in college without diminishing that skill set is hard to say. Not sure how dated this information is on his weight but in his highlight videos he doesn't look more than 190 at most and the 175 reported by VC might be more accurate. I tried to find a roster for The Butlington School. I saw a roster on Max Preps that has him listed as a 6-10 senior but not weights were listed.

Interesting prospect who might benefit from a redshirt year to build up his body a little. And if we get all players back next year redshirting should be an option that is used if we bring in an additional player or two.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 27, 2021, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

That is good because I was concerned it might be his weight. Rivals and 247 list his as at 190 and both have him as a 3-Star. VC lists him at 175 and has him as a 2-star but his stock seems to be rising in terms of the schools who have inquired about him since he decomitted from Howard.

I think his skill set and quickness make him attractive. At what weight he could play at in college without diminishing that skill set is hard to say. Not sure how dated this information is on his weight but in his highlight videos he doesn't look more than 190 at most and the 175 reported by VC might be more accurate. I tried to find a roster for The Butlington School. I saw a roster on Max Preps that has him listed as a 6-10 senior but not weights were listed.

Interesting prospect who might benefit from a redshirt year to build up his bottom a little.
            I like those quick second jumpers; a couple of former Shocker greats come to mind...

“Kuluel is an extremely versatile player. The combination of ball skills and length really make him special. K’s second jump is the best I’ve seen in 10 years.”
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

https://n.rivals.com/news/suitors-li...g-decommitment

I think his skill set and quickness make him attractive. At what weight he could play at in college without diminishing that skill set is hard to say. Not sure how dated this information is on his weight but in his highlight videos he doesn't look more than 190 at most and the 175 reported by VC might be more accurate.
              Mading isn't going to get overweight. With his body makeup, he will have more problems putting weight on than he will have a diminishing skill set.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Mading isn't going to get overweight. With his body makeup, he will have more problems putting weight on than he will have a diminishing skill set.
                I would agree with that. Hard to guage how strong a slender player like this is but hard to believe he would not be pushed around and a pounded a bit by AAC level big men.

Comment

I'm not opposed to getting more lanky and athletic bigs. They seem to me the ones that give us the most problems.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Whether it's a Kevin Durant or a Bol Bol, there is always a place for long skilled basketball players of this body type. Being pushed around is obviously the challenge for them, but they pose their own unique challenges to opposing players as well. I'd be interested to know Mading's wingspan, because length is often a big way that this style of player makes up for lack of bulk (you give up deeper position, but can still effectively contest shots).
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                      Whether it's a Kevin Durant or a Bol Bol, there is always a place for long skilled basketball players of this body type. Being pushed around is obviously the challenge for them, but they pose their own unique challenges to opposing players as well. I'd be interested to know Mading's wingspan, because length is often a big way that this style of player makes up for lack of bulk (you give up deeper position, but can still effectively contest shots).
                      Valid observations. According to this information Kevin Durant was listed at 6-9, 225. He currently is listed at 6-10, 240. Oregon's bio on Bol Bol listed him as a freshman at 7-2, 235.

Mading, assuming he is somewhere between the 175-190 the scouting services are reporting is a far cry from that. Not saying he needs to be the 225 that Durant played at as a freshman at Texas but I do think he needs add some muscle. If the Shocks do reel him in I would hope he could play at 210-215 in college.

I would like to know his wingspan as well. I wish this would become a standard metric reported along with height and weight.

I do like this young man's skill set although you never know how that will translate to D-1 basketball. Most of us fell in love with Jo Bilau's skill set as well but so far that hasn't translated well. I will say that Mading looks like a more polished product at this point then was JB. But everyone seems to look good on their highlight videos.

Comment

Valid observations. According to this information Kevin Durant was listed at 6-9, 225. He currently is listed at 6-10, 240. Oregon's bio on Bol Bol listed him as a freshman at 7-2, 235.

Mading, assuming he is somewhere between the 175-190 the scouting services are reporting is a far cry from that. Not saying he needs to be the 225 that Durant played at as a freshman at Texas but I do think he needs add some muscle. If the Shocks do reel him in I would hope he could play at 210-215 in college.

I would like to know his wingspan as well. I wish this would become a standard metric reported along with height and weight.

I do like this young man's skill set although you never know how that will translate to D-1 basketball. Most of us fell in love with Jo Bilau's skill set as well but so far that hasn't translated well. I will say that Mading looks like a more polished product at this point then was JB. But everyone seems to look good on their highlight videos.
                        Coming out of high school, Durant was listed at 6'9" 204 lbs and Bol Bol at 7'3" 208 lbs, fyi. https://247sports.com/Player/Kevin-D...school-113184/; https://247sports.com/player/bol-bol-82110/
                        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                          7’3” but could be more.

Comment

Pascal Siakam (Spicy P) and Chris Boucher (I call him Bobby) - Toronto bigs (power forwards) definitely on the 'slender' side.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                              Pascal Siakam (Spicy P) and Chris Boucher (I call him Bobby) - Toronto bigs (power forwards) definitely on the 'slender' side.

Chris Boucher is a really good comparison, I think. His draft profile had him listed at 6'10" 182 lbs (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...Boucher-96177/).

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Chris Boucher listed at 6-9, 200 lb is probably a good comp for Mading.

Comment

Working...
                                X