Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teddy Allen 6'5 F-WVU Transfer a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    Bringing this guy in is like having a really hot date for the prom, except she's got a temper and can go completely out of control. One way or another, you're going to be the talk of the prom.
    Taking the hot, crazy, chick to the prom?!

Sign me up.
    The Assman

Comment

Teddy's 3 point shooting doesn't overly concern me. He is a 74% free throw shooter so he just needs lots of practice to extend himself another 6'.

If Willis can extend his shooting to the 3 point range, Teddy can too.

Comment

• Stickboy46
        Stickboy46 commented
        Editing a comment
        As posted in this thread. He shot 41% from 3 in High school. So the capability is there.

• RoyalShock
        RoyalShock commented
        Editing a comment
        The difference between shooting over 5'10" guards with average athleticism (HS) and 6'2 to 6'6 guards with above-average athleticism.

• WSUwatcher
        WSUwatcher commented
        Editing a comment
        Fair point, Royal -- but some guys can't shoot 41% from three even over 5-10 guards, because they have bad touch, bad aim, whatever. I could go into an empty gym and not shoot 41% from three, for example. But at least the raw potential is there from Allen, regardless of whether it's ultimately realized.

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Taking the hot, crazy, chick to the prom?!

Sign me up.
      Reminds me of the classic Crazy/Hot Matrix...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwbKYcBdVyk

Comment

Here you go for your prom date, ST -- an old favorite of mine from the wrong state, but maybe a similar general idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZKp8_jw4fw
        Looks like you're getting a lot of help from us SN wingmen today.

Seriously, the year for Teddy to sit is pretty much made to order for this situation. WSU under Marshall is from all indications not an easy program to play for, although it can be very satisfying and rewarding for those who accept the challenge. So the transfer year will give Teddy a chance to learn whether he can (and is willing to) do what needs to be done. He can also work on his shooting and his defense, benefit from Kerry Rosenboom, and learn to mesh with his new mates. If it all works, he has a huge upside for the Shocks and potentially could be a very significant player for them; if not, I suppose he could always go to a juco and become a hoop vagabond after graduating from there.

As for his shot, I'm old enough to remember that Xavier McDaniel was a threat to the rim from more than a few feet away when he started out, but he ultimately developed a very respectable mid-range game and then extended his range even more in the NBA. And Allen's already a better FT shooter than X ever became as a Shocker, so he has at least some shooting ability and touch.

I like this addition. We already pretty much know who next year's Shocks are going to be anyway, so unless Mike Daum walks into CKA one day soon (in which case I'm betting they'll find some way to accommodate him), having a player who sits for a year -- especially a guy who can put the year to good use -- is fine with me, and apparently with 3G as well.

Comment

Right now my concern is that he he may even make (black hole) Darryl Willis look like a premier passer.
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Shockm
            Shockm commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a hyperbolas pile of "crud" that I just don't understand. We haven't seen Teddy play yet so he is an unknown but Willis and Teddy sound like the same type of players. They look for their shot first, and we have no reason to believe that he will be worse than "Shotgun Willis". At least we have 4 years (1 sitting and 3 playing) to reform Teddy where Willis only had two years to play after Juco ball.

• Stickboy46
            Stickboy46 commented
            Editing a comment
            We could do a lot worse than having a 3 to 4 year Willis

Realistically 8-9 players get decent minutes.. More like 6-7 of you look at last year... But the final 4 year I believe Marshall went 10 deep... I guess if you can play his way you will get time... One way or another

Comment

Shocks, Willis ast% was 10.6; teddy 9.3. Just sayin’
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
              Shocks, Willis ast% was 10.6; teddy 9.3. Just sayin’
              I feel Willis will be missed next season. He gets lost in the shuffle, but there were many games this year where he was the only one on our team that could do anything. The firepower off the bench really added to this team. Even though he shot a lot, which he did, he was very efficient.

Comment

I keep seeing the term “stretch 4” thrown around for Teddy. Maybe I’m looking at the term wrong (pretty sure I’m not), but he’s not quite a stretch 4. He’s undersized for a 4 and doesn’t shoot a lot of outside shots. Small ball 4 maybe.

Comment

• 12eagle
                  12eagle commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Stretch 4 is more commonly a knock down catch and shoot shooter think Ryan Anderson, Patrick Paterson, Serge Ibaka. A small ball 4 is more skilled and multi dimensional and guard positions 1-4 but may not be a great shooter. Think draymond green, trever Ariza, Jae Crowder. I think teddy is a small ball 4 but not a stretch 4

• He is a middle player who stands at the top of the key and waits for the ball
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post

I feel Willis will be missed next season. He gets lost in the shuffle, but there were many games this year where he was the only one on our team that could do anything. The firepower off the bench really added to this team. Even though he shot a lot, which he did, he was very efficient.
                  When Willis wasn’t effective, he didn’t get many minutes. This may prove to be a challenge for a Teddy.

Comment

• First thing Gregg is going to do with him is dial him back. He shoots 35% from three. Cut out the bad looks and forced shots and I bet he takes it to 40%.
                    Second is passing. Passing drills for dayys. Drive and dish.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

When Willis wasn’t effective, he didn’t get many minutes. This may prove to be a challenge for a Teddy.
                      He was 3rd on the team in shooting percentage at 51%. His 38% from 3 was higher than Frankcamp. He had a higher rebounds per 40 than Kelly. Willis was under appreciated last season.

Ok, sorry. Back to Teddy lol.

Comment

• Shockm
                        Shockm commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I don’t disagree. He had some good games where he was really effective and received more minutes. Then there were other games where he was less effective and received fewer minutes, especially late in the year in league and NCAA Tournament games.

• This will be an interesting thread to look back on in 2 or 3 years.

Comment

• Teddy was here on an unofficial visit.

Comment

Working...
                        X