Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ricky Torres 6'3 PG 2018 JUCO a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is a replay of the announcment for anyone who may have missed it.

http://www.ozarkradionews.com/video/...-wichita-state

Not sure what the story is behind Ricky not playing his last two years of high school ball.

Comment

• Definitely not a fit for a grand program and institution like Butler with an announcement like that......

Not that they would have ever wanted him in the first place. I mean, he committed to a mid-major for crying-out-loud
      The Assman

Comment

• Rlh04d
        Rlh04d commented
        Editing a comment
        I honestly forgot Butler had a basketball team after the guy that was their entire program left.

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Can he hit a curveball?
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• I get goosebumps watching these young men put on the Shocker cap and call our name. Welcome aboard Ricky! Welcome aboard! I get a really good feeling about this kid. It's gonna be a fun ride. Just a cool, calm confidence he has. Nice!
        Last edited by Shocktoberfest; April 25, 2018, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Here is a replay of the announcment for anyone who may have missed it.

http://www.ozarkradionews.com/video/...-wichita-state

Not sure what the story is behind Ricky not playing his last two years of high school ball.
          According to a deleted tweet, he dropped out of high school and got a GED later.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like a hell of a good backstory of redemption and a kid taking advantage of a 2nd chance to resurrect a dream. Sounds like he probably made some questionable choices when he was younger. But as they say good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement. Seems to have his head screwed on quite well at this point.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 21, 2018, 04:24 PM.

• Originally posted by Windiwu View Post
          Who is the other shocker the radio station there was talking about being on there?
          I am not sure who they were talking about. Missouri State - Western Plains only sponsors 2 sports. Men's Basketball and Women's Volleyball. I don't think Lambo has ever signed a Juco player in his time at Wichita State and I don't think this was a volleyball player from West Plains.

The gentleman who made the comment said that's 2 Shockers...within a 30 mile radius----'somebody' Francis and someone else said oh yeah on the women's team. The radio guy was kind of talking over him so it was difficult to hear. I am assuming the guy who made the comment is the local newspaper guy since the radio guy made the comment that he should write about it.

That is not anything I have heard of but could be a high school player for either the Class of 2018 or 2019. The information flow for signings and commitments to the women's team is pretty hit or miss and often you don't hear anything for sure until a signing of a LOI is announced, if it is announced.

I've done some initial surfing on this but haven't gotten any hits yet.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 25, 2018, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
            Could be Torres and Burton with Alvarez the odd man out. You snooze you lose.
            Nice call, Dan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Windiwu View Post
              Who is the other shocker the radio station there was talking about being on there?
              Found her. 5-8 Jr. Guard Piper Francis out of Liberty High School in Mountain View, Missouri. Class of 2019 verbal commitment.

Link to WSU Women's Basketball Class of 2019 recruiting thread.

Comment

Found her. 5-8 Jr. Guard Piper Francis out of Liberty High School in Mountain View, Missouri. Class of 2019 verbal commitment.

Link to WSU Women's Basketball Class of 2019 recruiting thread.
                As always, leave it to 1972Shocker to have or find all the answers for all things WSU athletics.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Seems like a pretty good get if she follows through on her commitment. Has scored a lot of points in her 3 years of high school ball.

• Welcome Ricky!!!! You're gonna love ShockerNation!!!!
                We got us an AWESOME PG!!!
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And vice versa.

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                Definitely not a fit for a grand program and institution like Butler with an announcement like that......
                Made me like him even more. But I guess that is what a Wichita State education will do for you. I guess I need some remiedial work on my snootiness.

Comment

• BOBB
                  BOBB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Irony.

• Just a FYI, Chris Popp was the coach of Ricky the past two year. Coach Popp is from Wichita, was a assistant at Newman and his wife played at Wichita State.
                Professional gas passer.

Comment

• Sam Axe
                  Sam Axe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  good piece of info

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Coach Popp's wife is the former Dianne L'Ami. She is a native of New Zealand who came to the United States and played two years at Casper Junior College where she was an NJCAA 1st Team All-American before finishing at Wichita State in 1996-97 and 1997-98. She played for the New Zealand National Team from 1997 through 2000 and played for New Zealand in the 2000 Summer Olympics. Here her bio at the time Chris was coaching at Ft. Smith, Arkansas: https://www.greenwoodk12.com/Domain/596

• Really like Ricky and can't wait to see him next year. Love how his coach said he could switch on screens and guard much bigger players...DD and JB were also described as guys that really get after you on D (one was called a "pit bull" by his coach). I didn't know Ricky didn't play most of his high school career - sounds like his best is certainly yet to come!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Nice call, Dan.
                  I don't think he was snoozing, I think he was told to wait.
                  "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                  -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

As always, leave it to 1972Shocker to have or find all the answers for all things WSU athletics.
                    1972Shocker is the ****!

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                      1972Shocker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh yeah, well same to you fella!

That should cover me either way.
                  Working...
                  X