No announcement yet.

Fred VanVleet is a Shocker!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think you pretty much answered your own question when you said you know how college basketball works.

That said, it is difficult to say whether or not Marshall still has interest in the S. Carolina job, should it come open. He grew up a fan and I think even had football season tickets. There are a lot of reasons why WSU is a better job, but if he still dreams of coaching the Gamecocks I'm sure he would go there with the right offer. Other than that job, I'm not seeing any other potential opening that would be a great draw. I could see Illinois going after him, particularly with Dana Ford in tow. But does he really want to try and get into the mess that is Chicago recruiting?

I could be wrong, but he has gushed so much about this recruiting class that I think he's excited to see what he and the staff can do with them. Combine that with how selective he's been in the past and I put his chances of leaving at about 30%.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrclove4 View Post
      First let me say, everybody on this board has been great to me and I am becoming a WSU fan..:) I do know how college b-ball works with coaches coming and going. With that said, WSU is having a very good year and your coach, I think is very good and will be a high demand. Do you think he would leave for a bigger program?? I just hate to see FVV go there and the coach and staff jet for another school... Any thoughts???
      Not that he might not leave for a super-terrific made-to-order opportunity, but he has said in public and in private, at various times:

WSU is a major program in a conference that doesn't play BCS football.

Wichita has tremendous support, 10,000-plus per game, EVERY game.

I'm paid substantially more than $1 million. "How many hamburgers can one guy eat?"

We have charter flights to EVERY game. We're home in two to two-and-a-half hours after the final buzzer.

I have access to a substantial number of private flight hours for recruiting.

"I left a lot-- I mean, a LOT -- of money on the table last year."

The decision was a family decision. Wichita is a terrific place for the family.

My favorite part of the job is hands-on teaching. I'm not certain that the higher level of athlete is conducive to what I like to do.

"I'm very very happy in Wichita."

"The administration has responded to my every wish."

The current contract escalates automatically by $150,000 every year through 2018.

That said, could he leave? Of course, but there aren't a lot of BCS programs that offer all these things, and another $500,000 is , perhaps, not that important. He is KING in Wichita. AS long as the he can be secure thinking that he can get an at-large bid in the Missouri Valley, I believe he will stay a long time and create a dynasty here.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
        Not that he might not leave for a super-terrific made-to-order opportunity, but he has said in public and in private, at various times:

I'm paid substantially more than $1 million. "How many hamburgers can one guy eat?"

We have charter flights to EVERY game. We're home in two to two-and-a-half hours after the final buzzer.

My favorite part of the job is hands-on teaching. I'm not certain that the higher level of athlete is conducive to what I like to do.

The current contract escalates automatically by $150,000 every year through 2018.

That said, could he leave? Of course, but there aren't a lot of BCS programs that offer all these things, and another $500,000 is , perhaps, not that important. He is KING in Wichita. AS long as the he can be secure thinking that he can get an at-large bid in the Missouri Valley, I believe he will stay a long time and create a dynasty here.
        Well said... Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          I think you pretty much answered your own question when you said you know how college basketball works.

That said, it is difficult to say whether or not Marshall still has interest in the S. Carolina job, should it come open. He grew up a fan and I think even had football season tickets. There are a lot of reasons why WSU is a better job, but if he still dreams of coaching the Gamecocks I'm sure he would go there with the right offer. Other than that job, I'm not seeing any other potential opening that would be a great draw. I could see Illinois going after him, particularly with Dana Ford in tow. But does he really want to try and get into the mess that is Chicago recruiting?

I could be wrong, but he has gushed so much about this recruiting class that I think he's excited to see what he and the staff can do with them. Combine that with how selective he's been in the past and I put his chances of leaving at about 30%.
          You hit it on the head about chicago recruiting..LOL... But, I do think Dana Ford is key here he is a big reason FVV is going to WSU

Comment

• It really will take a lot for Marshall to leave. With his pay, incentives and recruits he has coming in he would have to be presented with something really special.

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

4's post above is extra well stated and in my judgment, it is factual.

I still believe Coach Marshall is far more like Coach Few than Coach Turgeon in this regard.

I believe Fred will be very happy and satisfied here. This is a classy program for a classy kid.
              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                4's post above is extra well stated and in my judgment, it is factual.

I still believe Coach Marshall is far more like Coach Few than Coach Turgeon in this regard.

I believe Fred will be very happy and satisfied here. This is a classy program for a classy kid.
                Thanks for the input... FVV is a local kid "home boy" if you will.. Just want to see him in a good situation, and I think now WSU will be a great fit..:)

Comment

• And if that job comes up that 3G would leave for, I'm not too worried about a replacement. Wichita is a very desireable job and we'd land a good one. There's a chance a member of the current staff would be that man.

However, I'm not worried.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    And if that job comes up that 3G would leave for, I'm not too worried about a replacement. Wichita is a very desireable job and we'd land a good one. There's a chance a member of the current staff would be that man.

However, I'm not worried.
                    And that is key. Former AD Schaus made WSU an attractive job again with the arena renovation and hires of Turgeon and Marshall. If Marshall were to leave, even if Jans didn't take over I don't think there would be a lack of quality candidates.

But we're getting way too far ahead of ourselves. The Shocks have a college basketball world to take by storm first!

Comment

• FVV and Auburn won there regional championship tonight 56-40... FVV had 13pts and 8 dimes, he facilitated and controlled the offense. His teammates stepped up big for him tonight. FVV will play Tuesday night in the sectional semi-finals...
                      Last edited by Mrclove4; March 3, 2012, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• I also saw on twitter that he set the all-time scoring record in Rockford!

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                          I also saw on twitter that he set the all-time scoring record in Rockford!
                          Yes he did. He now has 1,620pts... FVV pretty much holds all Rockford public schools records... Scoring-Assists-Steals..See my posts 647 & 648
                          Last edited by Mrclove4; March 3, 2012, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• It is times like these that I relish going in this room and reminding myself that we have some very solid recruits incoming. We also return some fine players with 3 solid walk-ons. Guess what? I doubt we are done. If that be true, let's sign Wiggins and the very best big man we can find that can come in and contribute right away if positions open up.
                            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• FVV and Auburn got a 62-48 win in there sectional semi-final game tonight. FVV was OUTSTANDING!! 35pts with 5-3's...He will play friday night for the sectional championship. Side note... Auburn is not a very big team at all, they lost there tallest stater(6'2) in the first 2 min's of tonights game. This is why FVV is so great he dominates and does whatever it takes to win, despite not having a teammate over 6'0.. If he takes this team to state, IMO they have to give him Mr Basketball... Stay tuned....

Comment

• If they win Friday, are they in the State playoffs, and is that the final 8?

Comment

Working...
                                X