Gavin Thurman - Class of 2012 - Wichita Southeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by moshock
    SMS fans are claiming that he will be eligible.

:wsu_posters:
    They just a hoping. They have no clue.
    In the fast lane

Comment

• My thought is that when Green and Early committed, the WSU staff thought they were filled for next year. If there were any departures in spring and a scholarship opened up, and it looked like Gavin would qualify, then they'd offer.

This staff had a lot more offers out than they could possibly sign. I think all WSU's offers come with a disclaimer: If someone else commits, the offer might not still be there later on.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox
        Originally posted by moshock
        SMS fans are claiming that he will be eligible.

:wsu_posters:
        They just a hoping. They have no clue.
        No clue ? No surprise.

Comment

• Argh - With Hawkins visiting, I would question that the staff has put others on hold. If so, I dont' think that he would have visited. It sounds to me that if he is willing to commit, they'll take him too.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster
            Argh - With Hawkins visiting, I would question that the staff has put others on hold. If so, I dont' think that he would have visited. It sounds to me that if he is willing to commit, they'll take him too.
            Thurman < Hawkins, period.

And Trop is right.....in more ways than 1. MSU fans claiming to know GT will be eligible have no clue.

Comment

• Why waste a scholarship offer on a player who has a likely chance of not being eligible? It's no surprise that Thurman committed to MSU, it was only their 2nd commit of 2012. They are needing recruits, we're sitting on 4 commits, and at the time of Thurman, we were only looking for one final recruit.

So logically, why would you lock up your last spot on a kid who you don't even know is going to be eligible to play? And then on top of that, we get a commit in Cleanthony Early, who is the D-III JUCO PoY, and has potential NBA talent. Seems like a no brainer that we take Early over Thurman any day of the week.

Don't be fooled to think that Thurman choosing MSU is a loss for WSU. It's not even close. I wouldn't be surprised if Thurman went Prep next year, or JUCO.
              ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• we have a great class so missing out on Thurman wont hurt us. I really wish we could keep more local talent but I think Green and Early will be stars in the Valley

Comment

• Originally posted by vtshocker
                  we have a great class so missing out on Thurman wont hurt us. I really wish we could keep more local talent but I think Green and Early will be stars in the Valley
                  Thurman to SMS was my biggest fear. Anyone see a little Kyle Weems in GTs game?

Either way I will wish him luck and root him on as a Wichitan, except when he plays the Shockers.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• Well, after he plays a year or two at MSU, he's welcomed to come back home and walk on.

Comment

• Really folks?

The kid was interested in Wichita State. We were interested in him, and everyone would have been happy to have him as a Shocker.

His grades are a question mark, and as we learned the hard way with Ejike Hart, you cannot count on kids getting done what they say they will get done. Not a knock on Thurman, but just reality.

Lets not go overboard with our comments here. He is still going to get a college education, will be able to play ball at some point, and may very well go above and beyond to try to stick it to WSU every time he plays us for not taking a chance on him. So what. Wouldn't you do the same.

Lets just be happy for the young man, and set the example of exactly which fan base has the higher standard instead of lowering ourselves to the bear bottom of the barrel.

Comment

• take a chance on him? we tried to sign him before the July evaluation period and he didnt want to sign with us then. he wanted wait til after the AAU circuit

Comment

• I am not surprised he went elsewhere.

I have no special knowledge of the situation, however it has always been my feeling that WSU was a fallback choice to KU or some other BCS school.

When the cards started falling, we exercised other options and Gavin was not our choice. Apparently MSU was willing to take a chance on Gavin that the BCS schools or WSU weren't at this point, or maybe he just wanted to be away from home.

Steve Woodbury is a good guy, and I hope he is good for Gavin. I hope he succeeds....except against us!

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
                            Really folks?

The kid was interested in Wichita State. We were interested in him, and everyone would have been happy to have him as a Shocker.

His grades are a question mark, and as we learned the hard way with Ejike Hart, you cannot count on kids getting done what they say they will get done. Not a knock on Thurman, but just reality.

Lets not go overboard with our comments here. He is still going to get a college education, will be able to play ball at some point, and may very well go above and beyond to try to stick it to WSU every time he plays us for not taking a chance on him. So what. Wouldn't you do the same.

Lets just be happy for the young man, and set the example of exactly which fan base has the higher standard instead of lowering ourselves to the bear bottom of the barrel.

Well said. If Gavin does turn our to be eligible MSU get's a good one and has made a good move. Sometimes circumstances just cause things to work out this way. I'm not sure how much of a risk SMS is taking in offering Gavin because I don't know anything about their 2012 recruiting efforts or needs. If he does become eligible he should be a very solid MVC player and hopefully succeeds in getting a college degree.

I certainly don't blame 3G and staff for not wanting to wait on Gavin considering the alternatives they were able to attract and obtain commitments from.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                              Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
                              Really folks?

Well said. If Gavin does turn our to be eligible MSU get's a good one and has made a good move. Sometimes circumstances just cause things to work out this way. I'm not sure how much of a risk SMS is taking in offering Gavin because I don't know anything about their 2012 recruiting efforts or needs. If he does become eligible he should be a very solid MVC player and hopefully succeeds in getting a college degree.

I certainly don't blame 3G and staff for not wanting to wait on Gavin considering the alternatives they were able to attract and obtain commitments from.
                              I think that's it in a nutshell. When WSU was pushing to get local product GT, he wasn't ready to pull the trigger (which might have been a sign to WSU of his interest as well). Then, while there was question of GT being a qualifier as well, WSU was able to nail down kids, not from Wichita, who wanted to be here, to be a part of this program, and are, most likely, just as good of talent. Sometimes, timing is everything.

I hope GT has good success at MSU and will be happy there. However, in the Eagle, I noticed that he chose MSU over Colorado State, not a BCS program (they may have shyed away as well) or WSU.

Comment

• Wish him well wherever he goes, except when he may play WSU. I think he had a early offer at WSU and declined so if he does end at MSU, if he can make grades so be it.

Comment

Working...
                                X