Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shocks771
    Originally posted by ShockTalk
    Speaking of Heights, I have another question for the folks here.

Now that Gavin is playing at Heights with Ellis, is there a conflict at the PF position? I believe both want to play the same style of game and I'm sure of who will get to play the way he wants. Perry could be more of a SF style while Gavin maybe more of a post-type. However, both are being looked at as PFs by the colleges. However it goes, other Kansas teams are going to have fits trying to guard both at the same time. Gavin may receive the most benfit of this.
    I actually think Gavin's more likely position will be as a 3 in college. I think playing with Perry will give him a chance to step more away from the basket and work on that aspect of his game. If he would have stayed at SE he wouldn't have that luxury. This will be a good move for him.

When I watched Gavin play pickup with the team this summer, he was on the wing 95% of the time. He was alright. He'd be a short PF. I don't know how tall he is. i'm guessing 6'6". I think he'll play SF in college. Will probably be a a decent 3 in college. At this point, Ede has much more skill IMO. I guess we will have to wait and see how he progresses over his senior year.

I just read he was 6'8". goodness! if he had been in the post i might have been able to compare him to other tall players better. it was clear that he was taller than just about all the other wing players, but i wouldnt have guessed 6'8" or that he's classified as a PF. Most pickup games don't use the post at all, so it's understandable that he wasn't ever down there.
    veni, vidi, vici

Comment

He's usually listed at 6-7 or 6-8 and plays in the post for his HS team. Remember too that Ede has always played SF and is two years older than Gavin. How tall was Gavin compared to Ede? I've only seen Ede listed at 6-6, so if he was marginally taller, I'd guess he's 6-7.
      Livin the dream

Comment

It's been reported several times that Gavin is between 6-6 and 6-7.
        In the fast lane

Comment

he looked maybe an inch taller than Ede. And I remember thinking Ede was a pretty much even with toure (whom I believe is every bit the 6'5" that he's listed)

I forgot Ede had gone to prep school and was two years older. It shows in his body too. Ede is pretty tone.
          veni, vidi, vici

Comment

In the game going on, Gavin is having turnover problems and Pump is down 20-6.
            In the fast lane

Comment

Offered by Colorado and Iowa.
              In the fast lane

Comment

Add an offer by Fresno State. Pump and Run 17U lost all three of their super pool games, but they were all close. I have a report that Gavin shot the ball well, but missed a couple of game winners. Spenser Gales had a couple of real good games and Craig Nicholson played well.
                In the fast lane

Comment

CollegiateHoops DeAnte Mitchell
                  Per reports, Kansas PF Gavin Thurman '12 is down to Iowa & Wichita St. Iowa offered yesterday.
                  Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Some new news and some old.
                    In the fast lane

Comment

• In the HawkeyeInsider article, Iowa and WSU are called the top 2, not final top. Gavin also wants to visit Oklahoma State (interest but no offer yet), and Colorado State (according to the article but I wonder if they mean Colorado who has offered). besides WSU and Iowa. The article also mentions there is interest by Florida State and I"m not for sure if that has previously been reported.

Gavin wants to make a decision before his high school basketball season starts. He sees himself as a SF and being recruited that way by most schools with the ability to slip into the PF against smaller players.

Stay up to date with all the Iowa Hawkeyes sports news, recruiting, transfers, and more at 247Sports.com
                      In the fast lane

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox
                        In the HawkeyeInsider article, Iowa and WSU are called the top 2, not final top. Gavin also wants to visit Oklahoma State (interest but no offer yet), and Colorado State (according to the article but I wonder if they mean Colorado who has offered). besides WSU and Iowa. The article also mentions there is interest by Florida State and I"m not for sure if that has previously been reported.

Gavin wants to make a decision before his high school basketball season starts. He sees himself as a SF and being recruited that way by most schools with the ability to slip into the PF against smaller players.

http://iowa.scout.com/2/1091526.html
                        If he really does have the ability to play the 3, I'd be a little more excited about him. He just doesn't strike me as a guy who will hold up and have a lot of success as a 4. But that's me and based off of very little actual game play. I wonder if he's quick enough or a good enough ball handler to play on the wing though. Maybe someone who's seen him a little more than I could chime in.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Oh, I have little doubt he can play the 3 if he continues to develop his skill set. He has the build to be a perfect 3, and plenty of shooting skill to be a 3 as well.

Comment

• You have an opportunity to watch Gavin play this week in the MAYB Nationals being played in and around Wichita. The tournament starts Thursday.

Gavin will be playing for a team called the Wichita Bulls. Other team members include Spenser Gales (NW), Craig Nicholson (NW), Conner Frankamp, Jalen Love (East), Larry Dennis (East), E.J. Garnes (East).
                            In the fast lane

Comment

• Hey Shockernet, I'm a long time lurker and officially a first time poster! I love how active this community is and I feel I should contribute a little. Here is some new info I gathered from my stream in Google+.

""I would say that Iowa and Wichita State are my Top 2," the 2012 Kansas Forward said. ... "Most of the schools recruiting me see me as a three. It also depends on the match-up. ... "I want to focus on my basketball season." Thurman has grown up around the Wichita State program. ..."

This comes from Scout.com, but google found the qoute by itself so I assume it's safe to post. Anyways, it looks like Gavin might just be a Shocker after all. Here's the link if you want it.

Click here

Comment

• Welcome to the Forum!
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X