Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wufan
    Originally posted by ShockTalk
    Given Trop and wufan's posts, anyone concerned about his July performance among his peers compared to others at his position that we may have a decent shot at getting (or not, if he has given a verbal)?

I think Gavin would be a good get, particularly being a local product, so don't take what I'm about to say wrong. Was his performance (or actual talent) an indicator that he is concidered by others as an "at our level" player?
    Well, I know as much about his AAU performance as I do about his college selection...just rumors. I think Gavin played "Okay" this July and did not show huge strides in his game that some expected based on his talent. If you look at who he's playing with, however; Heild, Ellis, and a pretty good PG, he just happened to be the "loser" stat-wise/attention-wise.

IMO, he's a talented Wichita kid that can provide help at a position of need. There is NO WAY we change our mind based on his July performance. If he wants to be a Shocker, he's a Shocker.
    Gavin plays with Kansas City Pump and Run. Ellis, Hield, Williams and the Jenkins twins are with Kansas Pray and Play.
    In the fast lane

Comment

correct me if im wrong but Thurman doesnt play with Ellis and Hield...I believe he plays with KC Pump N Run

Comment

My mistake.
        Livin the dream

Comment

My only concern with Gavin is his work ethic, and I am not saying he doesn't have a great one.

It takes a lot to succeed at the D1 level, even for the best of athletes and skilled players.

One needs to look no further than P'unk to see a monsterously talented and skilled individual that couldn't put together the other aspects (discipline, studies, game management, temper, synaptic activity etc).

Gavin has all the tools. If he pushes himself to EXCEL, not just get by, and listens to those around him, including his next level coaches, then he will be a very productive D1 basketball player.

Comment

Got word from 2 different sources.

No truth to the rumor.

Comment

I'm torn on Gavin. I'd love to get some of the better local talent, but what Doc talked about for some reason concerns me with him. I want to say I've heard talk in the past but honestly can't say if that's true or not.

I just want to land at least one good PF in this class.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I want to clarify what I said....or re-word at least.

Work ethic might not be the fairest description, although it applies to everyone. From what I have been told, Gavin believes, and is being told by some around him, that he is a high major player, and that's what he wants.

If he looks at it as "settling" at WSU, the outcome is likely to be disappointing. He needs to embrace whatever his decision he makes and look to be the best Gavin he can be.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                  I want to clarify what I said....or re-word at least.

Work ethic might not be the fairest description, although it applies to everyone. From what I have been told, Gavin believes, and is being told by some around him, that he is a high major player, and that's what he wants.

If he looks at it as "settling" at WSU, the outcome is likely to be disappointing. He needs to embrace whatever his decision he makes and look to be the best Gavin he can be.
                  Hammer on the nailhead.

Comment

If Gavin doesn't sign until the spring, there is a good chance that some BCS schools will come knocking to try and grab that last big. He has a high ceiling.

I think we all want Gavin to succeed where ever he goes, but we'd all be thrilled to see him succeed at WSU!

I just watched some clips from the Heights/Southeast game played at Kock last January. Wessel and Thurman both looked pretty good. Ellis looked fantastic! He was taking it to the hole and dunking!
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Speaking of Heights, I have another question for the folks here.

Now that Gavin is playing at Heights with Ellis, is there a conflict at the PF position? I believe both want to play the same style of game and I'm sure of who will get to play the way he wants. Perry could be more of a SF style while Gavin maybe more of a post-type. However, both are being looked at as PFs by the colleges. However it goes, other Kansas teams are going to have fits trying to guard both at the same time. Gavin may receive the most benefit of this.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk
                        Speaking of Heights, I have another question for the folks here.

Now that Gavin is playing at Heights with Ellis, is there a conflict at the PF position? I believe both want to play the same style of game and I'm sure of who will get to play the way he wants. Perry could be more of a SF style while Gavin maybe more of a post-type. However, both are being looked at as PFs by the colleges. However it goes, other Kansas teams are going to have fits trying to guard both at the same time. Gavin may receive the most benfit of this.
                        I actually think Gavin's more likely position will be as a 3 in college. I think playing with Perry will give him a chance to step more away from the basket and work on that aspect of his game. If he would have stayed at SE he wouldn't have that luxury. This will be a good move for him.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks771
                          This will be a good move for him.
                          Considering he'll win a state title, I say it's a hell of a good move for him.

Comment

Gavin Thurman sounds like Cortez Barnes to me.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker
                              And D1 talent transferring within the GWAL reminds me of the glory days down south.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker
                                And D1 talent transferring within the GWAL reminds me of the glory days down south.

Comment

Working...
                                X