Clear All

• FloTrack‏Verified account @FloTrack
    This needs to be a new track event NOW

Comment

• What were the final AAC standings?

Comment

• Found them: http://live.finishtiming.com/#/resul...01800171/score

Comment

• The AAC had 143 athletes competing in the NCAA East and West Preliminaries and will be sending 36 athletes to the NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships in Eugene. The latter ties the AAC record set in 2014. I suppose it helps having an extra team.

The Shocks have qualified 3 athletes. Aaron True and Damien Odle in the javelin and Hunter Veith in the decathlon. However, Hunter's health is a big question mark at this point.

Comment

• How the WSU men's javelin throwers became ranked No. 1 in the country

Not only does WSU have a title contender in True, who ranks No. 3 and holds the school record, but it also has the most depth of any team in the country. Most teams feel lucky if their top thrower is past 220 feet; WSU has four who are.

They all came to WSU with great potential, but they also give credit to javelin coach John Hetzendorf for developing them.

"What makes (Hetzendorf) special is that after every throw, he doesn't have to go back and watch film on it," True said. "He's seen millions of throws, so he can tell exactly what you did right and exactly what you did wrong. That helps us improve throw by throw."

Comment

• RoundHouse Podcast - Wichita State Track and Field with John Wise

This is the first of what hopefully will be more sitdowns with Paul Suellenrop and John Wise, Assistant Director of Track & Field. This is about 30 minutes long but I found it very interest although I admit I'm a bit of an outlier in terms of my interest level in the out-of-the-mainstream sports.

This a bit dated having been recorded prior to the AAC Championships a couple of weeks ago but nevertheless if you have any interest in WSU and AAC track and field or just want to learn a bit more about WSU's track and field program I think this is worthwhile viewing.

Comment

• May 30 Quotables: Coach Rainbolt, Hunter Veith, Aaron True and Damien Odle

Sounds to me like Hunter will try to make a go of it in the decathlon in Eugene but he clearly is not and will not be 100%. My expectations for Hunter in this event are pretty subdued due to his injury situation. It seems to me that the best shot to compete for a Championship would be Aaron True in the javelin. He may have to set a PR and hope a few guys are a bit below par.

Coach Rainbolt: "These are three small-town Kansas athletes that are tough, competitive and guys of high character. I love that we have built our program around guys like this, we have recruited athletes from all around the world, but it's undeniable that the foundational core of our track and field operation has been small-town Kansas athletes."

Coach Rainbolt on Hunter Veith: "For Hunter to be ranked second in the decathlon and be an 8,000 point decathlete is a high achievement. Here recently he hasn't been 100%, but I am really impressed with how he has maintained his fitness the best he can. I believe he is able to go to Eugene and get through the decathlon and compete at a high level, if there is anybody who can do it, it's Hunter Veith.

Hunter Veith: "Training hasn't been optimal, I haven't been able to do what I would like to do at this time but I have been training as hard as I can. This meet isn't going to be about the athlete that I've built, it's going to be about the experiences that I've had in track and field and applying those to the meet. Competing with my heart, even if my body is not up to the level that I want it to be."

Good luck to all 3 guys.
                Head track and field director Steve Rainbolt, seniors Damien Odle, Hunter Veith and junior Aaron True fielded questions, Wednesday, on their experience at the NCAA West Regional and the upcoming NCAA Championships on June 6-9 in Eugene, Ore.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 31, 2018, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• Four Wichita State student-athletes qualified for the USATF Junior Outdoor Championships on June 15-17 hosted by Indiana University.

Rayvon Allen (long jump), Grant Downes (decathlon), Taran Taylor (javelin) and Ben Flowers (5k) each qualified in their respected events, in order to qualify athletes had to recored specific qualifying marks and be under the age of 20.

Athletes that finish in the top-2 of their event advance to the World Junior Championships in Tampere, Finland on July 19-24.

Four Wichita State student-athletes qualified for the USATF Junior Outdoor Championships on June 15-17 in Bloomington, Ind.

Comment

• CONGRATULATIONS TO SHOCKER FRESHMAN TARAN TAYLOR - USATF JUNIOR JAVELIN CHAMPION

Wichita St T&F/XC‏ @GoShockersTFXC 118 hours ago

.@TSquared144 wins the USATF Junior Championships javelin with a throw of 71.08m/233-2. He advances to the World Junior Championships in Tampere, Finland on July 19-24.http://bit.ly/2JJGMyA

Comment

• Shocker Freshman Ben Flowers with a solid performance and 5th place finish in the USATF Junior Championship 5k. His time of 15.01.69 was about 9 seconds faster than his PR from his freshman year this past season. This time was 49 seconds faster than his 26th place finish in this past season's AAC Championship and would have been good enough for 7th place in that meet.

Wichita St T&F/XC‏ @GoShockersTFXC

#BenFlowers finishes fifth overall at the USATF Junior Championships in the 5000m with a time of 15:01.69.

Comment

• CONGRATS TO RAYVON ALLEN FOR HIS 2ND PLACE FINISH IN THE LONG JUMP AT THE USATF JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIPS AS HE WILL JOIN FELLOW SHOCKER FRESHMAN TARAN TAYLOR (JAVELIN) AT THE JUNIOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Wichita St T&F/XC‏ @GoShockersTFXC 19 hours ago

@OfficialWoodah places second (7.57m/24-10) in the long jump at the USATF Junior Championships. He advances to the World Junior Championships in Tampere, Finland on July 19-24. : http://bit.ly/2JJGMyA

Comment

• Taylor Eldgridge reports on Taran Taylor's big freshman year in the javelin and his recent USATF Junior Championship.

The championship continued the meteoric rise in 2018 of the Arkansas City native, who tacked nearly 50 feet onto his personal best from high school and landed the No. 2 longest throw in WSU history at 243-8 this season.

That type of improvement is unprecedented, even at a program like WSU, which has continually developed great javelin throwers.

But Taylor's takeoff wasn't a complete surprise to the WSU coaches.

Taylor broke 11 seconds in the 100-meter dash as a senior at Arkansas City and tested extremely well in the series of tests WSU coaches put athletes through before the season. Whether it was a 30-meter dash or a standing long jump, Taylor was far more explosive than what was typical of a freshman, especially a javelin thrower.

"Go find me other javelin throwers who can run under 11 (in the 100)," WSU coach Steve Rainbolt said. "There's just not many of them. That was an indicator of explosiveness, an indicator of speed. That speed in his legs and hips exists in his strike and throw."

Comment

• June 19 Quotables: Coach Rainbolt, Aaron True, Taran Taylor and Rayvon Allen

Head track and field director Steve Rainbolt, student-athletes Taran Taylor and Aaron True fielded questions, Tuesday, on the recent USA Junior Championships and upcoming USA Championships.

I thought this was one of the best Track & Field Q&A's of the season. Coach Rainbolt touched on a lot of different topics. The exciting thing about True, Taylor and Allen is that we get Aaron True back for one more year and we get Taran Taylor and Rayon Allen back for 3 more years.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Rochester HS‏ @RochesterHS_3A
                              Josh Cable was able to leave the hospital. What a great day!!

10:45 AM - 25 May 2018

3 weeks after leaving the hospital and 7 weeks after the fire Josh Cable runs a 5K as he continues on his road to recovery.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...g_box&sid=l128

Here is a really good article on Josh and his ordeal:
                              http://www.sj-r.com/news/20180616/ro...-burn-injuries

In August, Cable plans to head off to college and major in exercise science at Wichita State University. He signed in April to run track and cross country for the Shockers. According to Cable, Wichita State will still honor his athletic scholarship.

“We talked to the coaches, and they were really good with it,” he said. “We’re going to redshirt cross country and track, and take it really slow. I’m going to just do what I can do my first year, then come back the second and hopefully contribute.”

He’s already found inspiration in another athlete’s comeback from burn injuries.

“I heard a story about a girl runner,” he said. “She just ran at the NCAA finals. She was burned a year and a half ago. I’ve got time. That story kind of proves that.”

University of Toledo runner Janelle Noe is who he’s talking about. She finished 11th in the 1,500-meter finals last week at the NCAA Track and Field Championships.

Cable’s experience has given him firsthand exposure to a future career. He wants to be a physical therapist. That’s one of the top reasons he decided to attend Wichita State, which offers a graduate degree in physical therapy.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 20, 2018, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• Aaron True and Taran Taylor in the javelin plus former Shocker Austin Bahner in the decathlon will be competing in the decathlon at the USA Track and Field Championships this week.

The decathlon starts today and the javelin is on Friday at 2:10 pm.

Good luck guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X