2023-24 Shocker Men's Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AAC Championship - Round 2

The Shocks let another really solid round get away from them on the 18th hole. After 17 holes the Shocks were sitting on an par team score but the Shocks carded 4 bogeys and double bogey in their 5 opportunities. That dropped the Shocks to 5-over par for the round and 4-over for the tournament and dropped them into a tie for 4th place with North Texas. Host USF and SMU are tied for the lead at 8-under and Memphis is 3rd at 5-under. FAU trails the Shocks and North Texas by 6 strokes.

Lucas Scheufler made a very nice bounce back from his 79 in round 1 with an even par 70 after his bogey on 18. Bake Lorenz also card an even par 70 as a despite his double-bogey on 18. Zach Sokolosky was kind of all over the place in a 2-over round of 72 that included 7 pars, 5 birdies, 5 bogeys and 1 double-bogey. Michael Winslow and Aston Castillo both finished at 3-over 73 with one of those scores not included in the team score.

I don't thing the Shocks can catch the 3 leaders but it would be nice if the can come with great focus and confidence tomorrow edge out North Texas for 4th place.

Comment

Shocks continue to play well in this tournament. They have the best round going (and the only team under par at the moment) and are currently 7 shots clear of North Texas while only 4 shots behind Memphis for 3rd. Michael Winslow is -3 for the day and sits alone in 6th, 3 shots out of 2nd. Michael only has 3 holes remaining but that could be a good thing as the course is clearly playing tough. Our guys aren't getting much TV coverage, but I'm hopeful to see MW a least on the 18th.

Comment

One of our guys is in the water at 18....I hope it's Lucas.....but the coverage is terrible. I think it was Lucas who made an excellent chip but still it was a double bogey. Hopefully we don't need his score (at least +4 while the other 4 are +1 to -3 at last count).
        Last edited by WuDrWu; 1 week ago.

Comment

Boy, the 18th just cooking us again. Aston Castillo birdied 17 to get to -1 (even as a team) on the day and we were just 1 behind Memphis for 3rd....then he doubled 18.

Lucas' +4 is the current throwaway....If we can finish the last few holes and post a -1 or even we should be safe in 4th at worst, but there's a lot of golf to be played and the dreaded 18 looms for Michael, Zach and Blake still.

Comment

Michael slays the dragon that is the 18th and birdies to finish with a 66, tied for 4th for now. Blake went birdie birdie on the 15th and 16th while Zach also birdied the 16th to bring both players to even for the day.

Shocks now just 2 shots out of 3rd. 8 shots behind USF but nothing a couple of well placed snowmen can't overcome!

EDIT Shocks now in 3rd, only 7 out of 1st. Plenty of water holes remain for the leaders.

Zach just two putted (just missed the longer putt) on the 18th but no mention of his score. Hoping it was a par but the announcers just have no clue. It was a par, but Zach bogeyed the 17th to finish at +1 for the day. Blake is the final Shocker on the course and on 18 I believe. A par par finish for Blake probably means a top 3 finish for the Shocks.

Crap.....Blake dumped his approach in the water....short is the ONLY place you can't go there. Just a huge mistake and he was in position 1. Judd should dunk him for that.

Comment

Blake chipped to 4 feet and made the tough bogey putt.

Looks like Winslow is alone in 3rd right now.

Great round! Shocks are in the house at +2 for the tourney, 4 clear of Memphis for 3rd. SMU is 8 clear for 2nd with several holes remaining and USF is 5 clear of them. Jake Peacock for USF is running away with the individual title 6 under on the day.

SMU or USF would have to completely fall apart to give WSU a better finish than 3 but still that's a heck of a tournament.

Comment

The Shocks are the leader in the clubhouse at 2-under for the round and 2-over for the tournament. Host USF seems to be in control at 11-under followed by SMU at 6-under. The Shocks look like a very good bet to hang onto 3rd place as their closest pursuer is Memphis who is 11-over on the day and 6-over for the tournament. Memphis has a total of 13 holes to play.

Comment

Well done fellas. I’ve had my doubts Judd was the man for the job, but this is a big step in the right direction. Deserving of the first-class jet ride.
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Starting with the 13th, USF caught fire. The 4 guys whose scores will count today have made 8 birdies and no bogeys, combined as a group, to pull away from SMU (and everyone else).

Right now Michael is tied for 4th. William Sides for SMU is 1 ahead of him with a couple holes to play including the dreaded 18th. Tucker Allen for North Texas is in the clubhouse at -6, two clear of Michael.

EDIT Michael is tied with Conor Gough of Charlotte (Conor was a member of the 2019 GB&I Walker Cup team) for 4th. First and second are all but decided with Jake Peakcock playing the last at -12 under and Tucker Allen in at -6.

William Sides of SMU is -4 playing the last. A par and he'll finish 3rd by himself. A bogey and he'll tie Conor and Michael for 3rd. Anything worse he's out of the top 3.

Sides played safe and long (as you should) but will have a long difficult 2 putt to remain alone in 3rd. Tentative with it, Sides will have a delicate downhill sliding 4 footer for par. Nicely done, Sides finished 3rd, Michael Winslow ties for 4th.

Side comment. Not a fan of Jake Peacock for USF. WAY too slow. It's not the Masters and if it was you'd be penalized. Also, too often at his ball in front of other players. Poor etiquette. Pick up the pace and stay the eff behind others in your group.

And trim those sideburns Mattingly!

Comment

The Shocks lead is now 5 over Memphis with only 2 holes left for Memphis to report so the Shocks will, in fact, finish 3rd. My guess is this is the best finish by the Shockers since they joined the AAC (I will have to fact check that) made all the more impressive with the Shocks coming in as the 11th seed.

Fact check: The Shocker finishes in the AAC Men's Golf Championships:
                      2018 - 10th in a 10 team field
                      2019 - 10th in a 10 team field
                      2020 - Cancelled
                      2021 - 4th in an 8 team field
                      2022 - 7th in a 9 team field
                      2023 - 8th in a 9 team field
                      2024 - 3rd in a 12 team field
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; 1 week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                        Well done fellas. I’ve had my doubts Judd was the man for the job, but this is a big step in the right direction. Deserving of the first-class jet ride.
                        May have some holes to fill next year. Zach Sokolosky looks to be definitely done as does Aston Castillo. Not sure about Blake Lorenz as he did not play much at OU. He might have a Covid year available but I am guessing probably not.

My feelign is that Judd is at a big recruiting disadvantage in the AAC field with only Wichita State and Temple being northern climates.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; 1 week ago.

Comment

Final Scoring: https://results.golfstat.com/public/...team&tid=29039

Final Round-By-Round Scoring For the Shocks:
                          T4 - Michael Winslow 68-73-66 = 207
                          T12 - Blake Lorenz 69-70-71 = 210
                          T14 - Zach Sokolosky 69-70-71 = 211
                          T29 - Aston Castillo 73-73-74 = 217
                          50 - Lucas Schueffler 79-70-74 = 223

Comment

Wichita State Men's Golf
                            @GoShockersMGLF

??????...??????. Blake Lorenz is the new Shocker all-time leader for stroke average in a career!

image.png

Very nice work for Blake after not having played much in his time at Oklahoma where he played in only 6 tournament rounds over 4 years with a 75.17 stroke average. Blake played his final 2 years of college golf at Wichita State consisting of 60 rounds while Louis Cohen Boyer's average covers all 4 years of his college eligibility. Over his final 2 years LCB had a stroke average of 72.05 in 73 rounds of golf. Still it is difficult, if not impossible, to say whose stats are better unless you know their average score vs par, the relative toughness of the courses played, and the weather conditions.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; 6 days ago.

Comment

Roundhouse podcast with Judd Easterling on Shocker golf

Wichita State men’s golf coach Judd Easterling joins us to talk about the team’s third-place finish in the American Athletic Conference Championship, the program’s best in seven years as a member. Easterling describes Michael Winslow’s final-round 66 and how the Shockers dealt with the challenging Pelican Golf Club. We discuss how Lucas Scheufler rebounded from a tough first round and the boost Easterling felt when his phone filled up with congratulatory messages. We finish up talking about how the transfer portal helped the Shockers and how he can continue to use the portal as a recruiting tool.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X