No announcement yet.

USBC Intercollegiate Team Bowling Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I refreshed the window that showed Wichita State with the winning scores and it now shows the names reversed so my guess is that I reported everyhting exactly backwards and Webber International apparently was the winner. Bummer, if that is really the case.

Comment

From Bowl.com (what else?): Webber International became the second school ever (by the way, WSU is the other, having done it twice) to win both the men's and women's titles in the same year.

So it was indeed Webber 2.5, WSU 0.5; as 1972 said, a bummer -- but a great year for the WSU bowlers in any case. Just not quite as great as they would have hoped.

Comment

I was so excited for a few seconds. That is too bad, but at least Mr. Young won the singles title and the team did finish 2nd in the nation. GO SHOCKS!

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
          From Bowl.com (what else?): Webber International became the second school ever (by the way, WSU is the other, having done it twice) to win both the men's and women's titles in the same year.

So it was indeed Webber 2.5, WSU 0.5; as 1972 said, a bummer -- but a great year for the WSU bowlers in any case. Just not quite as great as they would have hoped.
          Yes, I reported exactly brass backwards, but I swear the live scoring screen I was using had it backwards. I opend a new window and sure enough it was the opposite of the window I was viewing. I checked this multiple times. In any case, my apologies for the misleading reports. I will now be checking into a mental insitution.

Comment

I wasn't really familiar with Webber International so I did a little checking.

Webber Intl is strictly a Business School. It was found in 1927 initially for women only with the missions to educate women in business. It began admitting male students in 1971. It is located in Babson Park, FL which looks to be in the Center of Florida about 60 miles east of Tampa.

It is an NAIA school with an enrollment of around 750-800. Interestingly, it is now a male dominated school with 78% of its enrollment men. Tuition is $18,000 per year for both in-state and out-of-state students, 90% of which receive some type of financial aid.

Comment

Shouldn't they be golfing instead if bowling?

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                Shouldn't they be golfing instead if bowling?
                Same thought crossed my mind. In their defense they do have men's and women's golf and they also have men's and women's beach volleyball.

Comment

Truly the sport of kings.

Comment

Can someone explain to me why there is this USBC Intercollegiate Championship and the actual NCAA Championship? I saw the NCAA Championship the other night with the women playing, Vandy against Nebraska. Is it because the NCAA-sponsored one provides scholarships? If that's the case, has there ever been an idea of the WSU team joining up with the NCAA or would it simply be not financially feasible? I'd really like to see a program like this compete with known schools like Nebraska or Vanderbilt, rather than Weber International and St. Ambrose.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      Can someone explain to me why there is this USBC Intercollegiate Championship and the actual NCAA Championship? I saw the NCAA Championship the other night with the women playing, Vandy against Nebraska. Is it because the NCAA-sponsored one provides scholarships? If that's the case, has there ever been an idea of the WSU team joining up with the NCAA or would it simply be not financially feasible? I'd really like to see a program like this compete with known schools like Nebraska or Vanderbilt, rather than Weber International and St. Ambrose.
                      That's it exactly. Due to title 9, the big football schools started giving ncaa scholarships to women bowlers to help offset all of their football scholarships.

Men's bowling is still a non-ncaa sport only. But many of the big football schools like UNL and Penn State have made their women's teams ncaa sports.

If WSU were to ever bring back football we could do the same thing to cut down on the new women's sports that would need to be added.

Comment

They don't want it to be an NCAA sport because then they can't play for money in the off season. Amateur status, iirc, isn't a factor in the level they play now.

Comment

Very true, rr. There's much less money in the women's game, so it would not be out of the question for WSU to have an NCAA women's program -- but it would be very surprising if the men ever joined the NCAA and subjected themselves to the amateurism rules, because over the years some of the WSU men have picked up nice tournament paychecks while still in school. Can't do that in the NCAA, but in the ACU (Association of College Unions) or USBC (US Bowling Congress), money is no problem. Outside the NCAA, eligibility rules are different in other ways, too. Back in ancient times when I was in school, I spent four years as an undergrad and then another three in law school, and I competed in varsity intercollegiate bowling during both (although never at WSU, which I didn't attend). I was also still apparently eligible -- no one ever kicked me out of a tournament, anyway -- as a third-year law student (thus, in my seventh year after I started college, which is longer than even Nate Funk was allowed to stick around in his sport of choice).

By the way, WSU does indeed give bowling scholarships. I'm not sure exactly how many or how they're divided up, but they definitely exist, both for men and for women, and probably the same for each -- Title IX is from Uncle Sam, not the NCAA, so I can't see any reason why WSU's spending on bowling wouldn't be covered (although if anyone actually knows for sure differently, please enlighten me).

Comment

Working...
                          X