Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Esports Milestone for WSU

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Esports Milestone for WSU

    WSU - WSU Esports varsity team marks a milestone for the program

    After winning the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) Championship, the Wichita State Varsity Esports Valorant team qualified for a direct bid to compete in the Collegiate Esports Commissioners Cup (CECC) at the Gateway Center Arena in Atlanta, Georgia, May 7–8. Winning the direct bid to compete allowed the team to bypass the normal qualifier system which includes live and online invitationals.

    Although the CECC hosts tournaments for multiple games, WSU Esports competed only in the Valorant tournament. WSU Esports placed ninth out of the 16 teams competing in the Valorant games. WSU upset University of Central Florida, lost to Texas A&M University, and won against Sam Houston State University

    Qualifying for the CECC marked a milestone in the advancement of the WSU Esports program.

    “CECC was a great overall experience, and one of the best collegiate esports events I’ve personally attended,” said Travis Yang, WSU Esports director. “Unfortunately, there was a three-way tie in our group, and we narrowly missed out on playoffs by a margin of five rounds.”
    The program continues to grow.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

  • #2
    Goin’ for a natty…

    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

    Comment


    • #3
      Pretty cool!
      Kung Wu say, man who go through airport turnstile sideways is going to Bangkok

      Comment


      • #4
        Help me out. So what skills do Esports develop?

        Can a person weigh 400 lbs. and be an top notch esport athlete?

        Even Table Tennis, Bowling, Equestrian, and NASCAR requires a person to be coordinated, in shape, and contain muscle strength in certain areas. Why is Esport considered a sport?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Shockm View Post
          Why is Esport considered a sport?
          It's not considered a sport. It's considered an esport.

          Off the cuff ...

          Things exactly similar to sport:

          High level game sense is required, exactly same as sport
          Communication is critical, exactly same as sport
          Muscle memory is surprisingly critical
          Practice is just as critical in esport as it is in sport

          Things unique to esport:

          Reaction time
          Super fast critical thinking
          Mental endurance
          Manual dexterity (small muscle, eye hand coordination)

          Things unique to sport:

          Physique
          Large muscle memory
          Large muscle motor control
          Physical endurance
          Physical speed
          Physical power
          Kung Wu say, man who go through airport turnstile sideways is going to Bangkok

          Comment


          • #6
            Table Tennis, Curling, Luge, Equestrian, Archery, Sailing, Shooting, are all Olympics sports.

            Comment


            • #7
              You can be 400lbs and make a nice living dominating in esports. You can be dumber than an ox and have a great NFL career.

              But it helps to be fit in esports, on top of being mentally top class. And it helps to be smart in football, on top of being a physical specimen.
              Kung Wu say, man who go through airport turnstile sideways is going to Bangkok

              Comment


              • #8
                Well for anyone to consider Esports to be a sport, they can’t be very smart imo. Activity, maybe. Equivalent to gaming, billiards, etc. Eat potato chips while doing it. Not a sport.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                  Well for anyone to consider Esports to be a sport, they can’t be very smart imo. Activity, maybe. Equivalent to gaming, billiards, etc. Eat potato chips while doing it. Not a sport.
                  Does that apply to the "sports" I listed above? I'm pretty certain these guys do not eat potato chips while competing. They also probably have as many qualities as the sports you listed and 2 of the 3 attributes you listed plus the other attributes that Kung Wu listed, some of which other sports need as well.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                    Well for anyone to consider Esports to be a sport, they can’t be very smart imo. Activity, maybe. Equivalent to gaming, billiards, etc. Eat potato chips while doing it. Not a sport.
                    Uhhh, no esport pro is eating potato chips while they are playing against other top players in the world. Very naive. But we did have a Shocker eating a hotdog during a game once.
                    Kung Wu say, man who go through airport turnstile sideways is going to Bangkok

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

                      Uhhh, no esport pro is eating potato chips while they are playing against other top players in the world. Very naive. But we did have a Shocker eating a hotdog during a game once.
                      Wienergate

                      Wienergate II - after a horrific call, a guy in row 30 attempted to hurl a loaded wienie towards the floor… can’t recall the year, but it was well worth the price of admission.
                      Last edited by WstateU; 1 week ago.
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        JMHO from an old man. We have lots of mental health problems in our world today. Esports not a sport and I have no respect for those who spend a great deal of free time in front of a television with a joystick. Kids. Do your homework, get outside, and play with others to live a healthy life, both mentally and physically.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                          JMHO from an old man. We have lots of mental health problems in our world today. Esports not a sport and I have no respect for those who spend a great deal of free time in front of a television with a joystick. Kids. Do your homework, get outside, and play with others to live a healthy life, both mentally and physically.
                          You have a very strange mental image of everyone that plays. There are some high level gamers that are also fitness fanatics. Tons of people you'd consider athletes play quite a bit as well. It seems like you envision all gamers to be 300lb slobs that never leave mom's basement. I'm sure they exist, but they're not the norm.

                          And to be honest, the best of the best make more money than most of us could only dream of.

                          Also, most of these kids are probably some of the best students when it comes to academic scores as well. I'm not sure why you seem to think it's simply a bunch of losers with no ambitions or hopes for anything beyond sitting in front of a screen and playing games. And by the way, there have been a lot of studies done that actually say that gaming and the community can be very beneficial to mental health and it actually has shown some benefit to the academic side as it helps foster the ability to problem solve and calculate things quickly. I believe it was Kung Wu that laid much of that out previously.

                          Video gaming can benefit mental health, find Oxford academics

                          Why gaming is better for your mental health than you might think

                          Video Games Could Hold Untapped Potential in Treatment of Mental Illness

                          The Surprising Mental Health Benefits of Video Games

                          Why playing games is good for you

                          How Video Games Can Help Older Adults

                          Benefits of Video Games For Kids & Adults

                          Now, for those who have a video game addiction, there are negative impacts to their mental health, though that's pretty much the case for all addictions. Which makes it less about the actual gaming and more about the underlying issues that are going untreated or undiagnosed.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

                            You have a very strange mental image of everyone that plays. There are some high level gamers that are also fitness fanatics. Tons of people you'd consider athletes play quite a bit as well. It seems like you envision all gamers to be 300lb slobs that never leave mom's basement. I'm sure they exist, but they're not the norm.

                            And to be honest, the best of the best make more money than most of us could only dream of.

                            Also, most of these kids are probably some of the best students when it comes to academic scores as well. I'm not sure why you seem to think it's simply a bunch of losers with no ambitions or hopes for anything beyond sitting in front of a screen and playing games. And by the way, there have been a lot of studies done that actually say that gaming and the community can be very beneficial to mental health and it actually has shown some benefit to the academic side as it helps foster the ability to problem solve and calculate things quickly. I believe it was Kung Wu that laid much of that out previously.

                            Video gaming can benefit mental health, find Oxford academics

                            Why gaming is better for your mental health than you might think

                            Video Games Could Hold Untapped Potential in Treatment of Mental Illness

                            The Surprising Mental Health Benefits of Video Games

                            Why playing games is good for you

                            How Video Games Can Help Older Adults

                            Benefits of Video Games For Kids & Adults

                            Now, for those who have a video game addiction, there are negative impacts to their mental health, though that's pretty much the case for all addictions. Which makes it less about the actual gaming and more about the underlying issues that are going untreated or undiagnosed.
                            The swatters that I saw, a couple from Wichita, were flat out Losers. I know quite a bit about Research, and a lot of the Research sucks. Just look at the New England Medical Journal on Masks, and Racism. It’s trash.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It's okay if you wish to live your life with your head buried in the sand.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X