WSU Wrestling Team Wins National Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    You're not alone Moose. When I first saw this I was like, "What the crap!!! When did this happen?"
    I saw what you did there.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      So if we see a report that the Shockers have won a Quidditch national championship we won't be surprised.
      OK. I'm old and out of touch with my younger self. But there's just something not right about guys running around holding a broom stick between their legs.

Comment

Just because something is a club sport doesn't mean it's insignificant (although Quidditch probably is), just that it isn't NCAA sanctioned. WSU bowling isn't an NCAA sport either, in its case because of amateurism issues -- the Shocker bowlers are allowed to compete in money tournaments, which the NCAA doesn't allow. But they're big time in every way, with scholarships and an international reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
          Just because something is a club sport doesn't mean it's insignificant (although Quidditch probably is), just that it isn't NCAA sanctioned. WSU bowling isn't an NCAA sport either, in its case because of amateurism issues -- the Shocker bowlers are allowed to compete in money tournaments, which the NCAA doesn't allow. But they're big time in every way, with scholarships and an international reputation.
          I get that the league we play in is much better than NCAA bowling...but we'd win the NCAA D1 title in men's and women's bowling every year considering how weak the NCAA field of teams is. It would be kind of fun to pile up all those National Title trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
            I'd really like to see the university put some serious thought into adding wrestling and soccer.
            Soccer would be a great addition. The comment about not being a revenue generator would be false. My guess is it would attract more people than when I use to attend the football games. Also, with the local and regional talent and no competition from other state schools we could compete at a national level for championships. Don't tell me a team competing for a NCAA championship would not fill the Cessna stadium. Soccer is big in Wichita and would be a great draw. Plus no drag on the other sports. One men's team one women's team and you are done.

Comment

Originally posted by KraRam View Post
              Soccer would be a great addition. The comment about not being a revenue generator would be false. My guess is it would attract more people than when I use to attend the football games. Also, with the local and regional talent and no competition from other state schools we could compete at a national level for championships. Don't tell me a team competing for a NCAA championship would not fill the Cessna stadium. Soccer is big in Wichita and would be a great draw. Plus no drag on the other sports. One men's team one women's team and you are done.
              Not to mention the numerous international students that would attend the games. I think people would be surprised at how packed WSU soccer could get.
              ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

And there wouldn't be many start up costs except for coaching and scholarships. Plus it would give us another shot at Creighton every year. Though they are pretty good in soccer.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                  Your points are valid. However, I will point out that WSU bowling is not listed as a club sport and I don't consider it a club sport. Bowling does offer scholarships. They are not huge but around 25 student-athletes receive some sort of scholarship aid each year. I think that is a primary differentiating factor from club sports.

Comment

I'm all for adding soccer, lacrosse, and wrestling as long as it's for women only. After that we will need to add one men's sport to even things out............................................... .................................................. ............................................

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                      I'm all for adding soccer, lacrosse, and wrestling as long as it's for women only. After that we will need to add one men's sport to even things out............................................... .................................................. ............................................

T

...:cool:
                      I agree cold. I think soccer actually is a sport used to fulfill title IX requirements quite often. Plus our conference actually has it as a league sport.

Comment

I'm not opposed to women's soccer if it's a precursor to something bigger!
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                          I'm not opposed to women's soccer if it's a precursor to something bigger!
                          I doubt there are many that are against it under the circumstances you are referring to. I'm certainly not.

Comment

Working...
                          X