X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021-22 Shocker Men XC and Track & Field

Shocker Men Welcome 10 Newcomers to the Track

https://goshockers.com/news/2021/9/9...the-track.aspx

"This COVID period has affected recruiting significantly," head track and field coach Steve Rainbolt said. "There were times I wondered whether or not we would be able to put together a recruiting class that was representative of Shocker track and field at the level we have established, but we did."

Wichita State welcomes four transfer athletes, including NCAA Division I East Preliminary Round discus qualifier Matt Everett, a transfer from Memphis.

"Matt had a heck of a first season as a collegiate discus thrower, and I'm excited for him to join us," throws coach John Hetzendorf said.

The throws group also added Ridge Estes.

"Really, I'm excited about all of the newcomers," Hetzendorf said. "We have athletes already trending in the right direction, and I'm looking forward to seeing where they go."

"Riley Vandaveer is the fastest miler we've ever recruited, and he can make an immediate impact for us on the track," distance coach Kirk Hunter said. "We have a lot of depth on the distance side, so he'll have people on his own team to compete with and push him."

"There are some darn good athletes in all the event areas that really ended up making this recruiting class a pleasant surprise," Rainbolt said. "I'm very pleased with how they're doing in their early workouts, and I feel like I'm seeing a lot of athletes that are really into it and excited to be Shockers."

Below you'll find personal bests for each of the Shocker track and field newcomers.

MEN
    Kolby Caster – Douglass, Kan. – Douglass HS – Cowley County CC
    CCCC: 60m - 7.36, 100m - 11.52, 400m - 53.98, 1000m - 3:05.63, 1500m - 5:01.09, 60h - 9.17, 110h - 17.57, HJ - 1.81m/5-11.25, PV - 4.46m/14-7.5, LJ - 6.38m/20-11.25, SP - 11.22m/36-9.75, DT - 29.14m/95-7, JT - 44.63m/146-5, Hept - 4288, Dec – 5807
    HS: PV - 4.44m/14-7
    Wen Clough – Prairie Village, Kan. – Shawnee Mission East HS
    HS: LJ - 6.78m/22-3
    Ryan Dreiling – Goddard, Kan. – Eisenhower HS
    HS: 100m - 10.85, 200m - 21.81
    Erik Enriquez – Wichita, Kan. – Kapaun Mt Carmel
    HS: 1600m - 4:25, 3200m - 9:13, 5000m - 15:18
    Ridge Estes – Bucklin, Kan. – Bucklin HS
    HS: SP - 16.96m/55-8, DT - 56.24m/184-6
    Matt Everett – Winfield, Kan. – Winfield HS – University of Memphis
    MEM: SP - 14.57m/47-9.75, DT - 55.14m/180-11
    HS: SP - 15.51m/50-10.75, DT - 59.46m/195-1
    Jack Mull – Winfield, Kan. – Winfield HS – Cowley County CC
    CCCC: 60m - 7.54, 100m - 12.04, 400m - 53.83, 1000m - 3:03.59, 1500m - 5:17.10, 60h - 8.65, 110h - 15.79, HJ - 1.83m/6-0, PV - 4.25m/13-11.25, LJ - 6.31m/20-8.5, SP - 11.56m/37-11.25, DT - 31.37m/102-11, JT - 44.85m/147-2, Hept - 4451, Dec - 5834
    HS: 110h - 14.34, 300h - 39.86, PV - 3.96m/13-0
    Eli Newman – Bradenton, Fla. – Lakewood Ranch HS
    HS: PV - 4.60m/15-1
    Cesar Ramirez – McAllen, Texas – Sharyland Pioneer HS
    HS: 1600m - 4:21, 3200m - 9:26, 5000m - 15:10
    Riley Vandaveer – Olathe, Kan. – Olathe South HS
    HS: 800m - 1:54.97, Mile - 4:09.35, 5000m - 15:58

Comment

This shouldn't be a surprise and if it's in the by-laws then it should have been expected. Reward those schools and communities that are committed to the conference. They're not stripping them of the ability to compete.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Comment

The Shocker men's XC team is competing in Peoria today at the Bradley Pink Classic in a field of 31 teams. This is their final warm-up prior to the AAC Championships in Tampa on October 29th.

Tulsa's men have won every AAC XC men's championship so far and will the the favorite to do so again. While this year's Shocker men's team may not have a runner that can win the individual title they do have depth to their team and perhaps, just maybe they might push Tulsa for the time title just a bit.

In 8k race at Peoria today they were 6th after 2k but were bunched nicely together. They moved into 1st at the 3k mark and were still pretty nicely bunched. They fell to 2nd at the 4k mark but regained the team lead at the 5k mark. However, it looks like one of their better runners, Jed Helker is starting to fall back. Jed had a good race two weeks ago at Mizzou where he was the top finisher among the Shocker men.

Looks like the Shockers are still going to win despite Jed Helker running a full minute behind his 8k race of two weeks ago. Jed finished 62nd out 254 runners and did not factor into the scoring for the Shocks. However, the Shocks top 5 guys still managed to finish 11, 12, 23, 28 and 30 for 104 points to edge out Eastern Illinois by 21 points. A good illustration of their depth. The Shocker's top 5 guys were all within 31 seconds of each other. Hopefully, nothing serious going on with Jed. That fact that he finished the race is a good sign. Jed does occasionally have breathing problems. I think the Shocks will need Jed's best effort to challenge Tulsa in 2 weeks,

Today's team results: https://results.shazamracing.com/mee.../379451/scores

Click on the team name for individual results.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 15, 2021, 04:39 PM.

Comment

2021 American Athletic Conference Cross Country Championships

Friday, October 29 | Holloway Park | Lakeland, Florida | WATCH ON ESPN+
            • Men's 8K Race / 8 a.m. ET, 7 a.m. CT / Men's 8K Race Map
            • Women's 6K Race / 8:50 a.m. ET, 7:50 a.m. CT / Women's 6K Race Map
            • Award ceremony to follow both races at approximately 9:40 a.m. ET, 8:40 a.m. CT
            9 of the 11 AAC schools compete in Men's XC. SMU and UCF do not field men's XC teams. The Tulsa men, who are ranked 9th nationally, are the favorites and and are looking for their 8th consecutive AAC XC Championship. Outside of distance running Tulsa is not very competitive in the Track and Field. I believe they are probably using a good portion of their 12.6 scholarships for XC/Track & Field to recruit top long distance talent and do the best they can outside the distance races in Track and Field with essntillly a non-scholarship group of athletes.

I don't think the Shocker men has any runners who will compete for an individual championship, but unlike the Shocker women, they have really good depth and consistency amont their top 6 or 7 runners. Because of that the Shockers should be in the hunt for a 2nd place finish behind Tulsa and, who knows, if Tulsa has an off day and the Shocks set a bunch of PR's maybe they can challenge Tulsa. The top 15 finishers receive All-Conference honors so hopefully we see a couple of Shockers in that group.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 28, 2021, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Did Jed compete? I just saw the tweet where the team finished 2nd but he wasn’t in the top 5.

Comment

As usual Tulsa dominated finishing 1-2-4-5-7 for 19 points. 15 would be a perfect score in XC. Tulsa has non-scoring runners that finished 14-15-16-41.

The Shocks had scoring finishes of 9-10-12-14-18 = 63 points which is very good bunching. Jed Helker did run but finished 20th. The Shocks finish 16 points ahead of Cincinnati

Earning All-Conference honors for the Shockers was Shadrack Chumba, Adam Moore, Bryce Merriman and, Clayton Duchatschek,

This actually was a very good team race for the Shocks

Comment

Wright Crowned AAC Champ, Men Take Second

https://goshockers.com/news/2021/10/...ke-second.aspx

"The men did a great job today," Hunter said. "The overall group is a heck of a good group of guys, and I'm happy with the way they competed. It was a team effort and that's what we've been doing all year."

"We had to focus on where we're at," Hunter said. "Tulsa is a phenomenal team that's ranked nationally, so you have to be realistic when you're racing them. I talked to the guys about focusing on getting Cincinnati and Memphis, which are really good teams, and they went out and executed their race plan very well."

Comment

Kind of flew under the radar. Wichita State opened the indoor season with the WSU Shocker Multi competition at the beginning of December. This is primarily an intra-squae event althoug a few athletes from Firends and Washburn also competed.

Shocker Junior Tanner Brown, out of Russell, Kansas via Cloud County CC, won the pentathlon with a PR of 5,368 points. In the process, Tanner tied the school record of 6.76 seconds in the indoor 60m dash. His total score also moved him into 10th place on the Shockers all-time pentathlon chart.

Fellow Junior, Nate Vann, finished 7th with 4,247 points. However, Nate no heighted in the pole vault which is on of his top scoring events. I think he too would have scored over 5,000 points with his normal performance in the pole vault.

Both guys should be in contention in the pentathlon at the AAC Inddoor Championships if they stay healthy and avoid disasters such as Nate had in the Shocker Multis.

I think this event is mostly a let's see where we are and what we need to focus on going into the season.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 22, 2021, 10:16 PM.

Comment

I noticed the Shocker Track & Field team is in Topeka tomorrow at the All-Kansas invite tomorrow hosted by Washburn. The competition at this meet is mostly D-II, NAIA and Juco. However, I think the Shocks like competing at Washburn because of their new indoor track facility which has a banked track which is what the Shocks will compete on for the AAC Championships in Birmignham. In fact, this is the first of 3 meets the in which the Shocks will be competing at this facility this indoor season. Makes good sense to get as much work as possible on a banked track. But I have to say I am a bit envious of Washburn's indoor track facility.

https://wusports.com/sports/2021/1/1...sportfile.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        I noticed the Shocker Track & Field team is in Topeka tomorrow at the All-Kansas invite tomorrow hosted by Washburn. The competition at this meet is mostly D-II, NAIA and Juco. However, I think the Shocks like competing at Washburn because of their new indoor track facility which has a banked track which is what the Shocks will compete on for the AAC Championships in Birmignham. In fact, this is the first of 3 meets the in which the Shocks will be competing at this facility this indoor season. Makes good sense to get as much work as possible on a banked track. But I have to say I am a bit envious of Washburn's indoor track facility.

https://wusports.com/sports/2021/1/1...sportfile.aspx

Why are you nervous? It is an incredible facility. Crossland Construction was the general contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post

Why are you nervous? It is an incredible facility. Crossland Construction was the general contractor.
                          ?? Envious?

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post

I didn't know I was?

Comment

That is one sexy facility.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                              X