RIP Prince McJunkins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Well, Kstate beat our ass the year we beat Ku (I believe that was one of those redshirt all the seniors years in Manhattan). Ksu really pushed WSU around that day. We were manhandled.

And that TD pass was to Donnie Dreher, not "Johnny on the spot" Reuben Eckles, who saved us a little embarrassment in the first half jumping on a late fumble when we were behind and flailing a bit.
    Yeah, I stand corrected. Probably just my memory flooded with fantasy hopes and wishes re: beating KSU the same year.

Comment

Someone posted a few more games attached to that Tennessee game, namely the Minnesota (Lou Holtz first game there I believe) where the Shocks took an early 14-0 lead before losing to the Gophers and the 16-10 win at KState in addition to the final game of the program at #5 ASU where honestly, it looked like we belonged on the same field for more than a quarter of the game before things fell apart.

It is unreal to watch the offense Coach Chismar (sp?) ran. Split tailbacks, and I bet 70% of the plays were inside the tackle runs. Just 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality. If you are young, and all you've seen are RPO and spread offenses, that's got to be like trying to read Chinese for the first time. It's just bizarre to think that's the way it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        It is unreal to watch the offense Coach Chismar (sp?) ran. Split tailbacks, and I bet 70% of the plays were inside the tackle runs. Just 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality. If you are young, and all you've seen are RPO and spread offenses, that's got to be like trying to read Chinese for the first time. It's just bizarre to think that's the way it used to be.
        Larry Beckish OC for Willie Jeffries for one year was imaginative with Prince. Ron Chismar was Old School, toughness, and stick it down their throats, and not imaginative at all. Wichita State was never going to consistently recruit Huge offensive linemen who could do what Chismar wanted, and beat good teams, but they could occasionally recruit smallish, skilled players who could run, throw, and catch like Prince, and Rueben Eckles imo. That was still hard to do.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdalt View Post
          The unfortunate truth is that if even half the numbers of those who "wished we had football" had attended games back in the day, we might still have it. And being one that did attend, getting your ass kicked year in and year out ( 2 winning seasons in the last 20 years of the program), is not as much fun as the whimsical trip down memory lane would lead you to believe.

PS Watched Prince play as much as possible, he was a special talent.
          Well, I was four years old when they discontinued the program so I didn't really have the option.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Well, I was four years old when they discontinued the program so I didn't really have the option.
            Half the numbers of those wishing, not half of those wishing.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
              Guess I'm just a bitter old fart (aka privileged white a$$hole).
              FIFY

Comment

Working...
              X