No announcement yet.

2020-21 Shocker Men XC and Track & Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1972Shocker - to answer your question about how Tulsa has developed such a strong XC program ... Track and XC scholarships come from the same allotment, which is 12.6 for men and 18.0 for women in D1. Tulsa, and some other distance oriented schools, put virtually all of their scholarship dollars into distance runners as compared to a school like WSU who splits up the money evenly throughout the entire track team. This is why Tulsa can win XC and be at the bottom in track. It's not really fair to the teams that try to have a balanced track team but that's the current system and some schools decide to take advantage of it and not worry much about how they place in track. It makes the feat of the WSU women placing 2nd today even more impressive since they're doing it with far less scholarships in distance.

Comment

Originally posted by goshox74 View Post
      1972Shocker - to answer your question about how Tulsa has developed such a strong XC program ... Track and XC scholarships come from the same allotment, which is 12.6 for men and 18.0 for women in D1. Tulsa, and some other distance oriented schools, put virtually all of their scholarship dollars into distance runners as compared to a school like WSU who splits up the money evenly throughout the entire track team. This is why Tulsa can win XC and be at the bottom in track. It's not really fair to the teams that try to have a balanced track team but that's the current system and some schools decide to take advantage of it and not worry much about how they place in track. It makes the feat of the WSU women placing 2nd today even more impressive since they're doing it with far less scholarships in distance.
      Great explanation. I had not thought too much about that but Tulsa does pretty much suck at track and field outside of the distance races.

Comment

Holthusen Earns Weekly Conference Honor

Joseph Holthusen was recognized as one of The American Athletic Conference's best track and field athletes over the past week, the conference announced Tuesday.

Comment

Championship at The Peak - Day 1

COLORADO SPRINGS, COLORADO—The Wichita State track and field teams opened up competition at the Championship at The Peak with multi-event competition inside of the Cadet Field House.

COLORADO SPRINGS, COLORADO—The Wichita State track and field teams opened up competition at the Championship at The Peak with multi-event competition inside of the Cadet Field House.

Director of Track and Field and Cross Country Steve Rainbolt said the Shocker men had a nice day in the heptathlon.

"Tanner Brown in particular had a really good day," Rainbolt said. "He ran the second fastest 60-meter time in school history and is in good position going in to day two to battle for a high finish."

Brown closed out the first day of the heptathlon in fourth place with a total of 2,942 points.

Brown's day included a victory in the 60 meters to start the day. He ran a time of 6.79, which is a personal best and the second-fastest time in school history. Brown followed with a top-five finish in the long jump.

Nate Vann is not far behind his teammate in the overall standings with 2,846 points. Vann also had a strong 60 meters race, running a time of 7.08 for fourth place. Vann jumped 6.63m/21-9 to finish in the top three of the long jump.

Comment

Michael Bryan Sets School Record on Day Two of Championship at The Peak

The Wichita State track and field teams competed in prelims and select field events as well as the conclusion of the heptathlon on Friday inside of the Cadet Field House on the second day of action in the Championship at The Peak.

Michael Bryan highlighted the day with a record-breaking throw in the men's weight throw. He tossed the weight 21.17m/69-5.50 to break the school record in the event. Bryan's mark was 40 centimeters better than the previous record set by Taylor Goldsmith in 2016.

Bryan's toss also earned him a third-place finish at the event in a field full of some of the nation's best. He sits at No. 19 in the country with that mark, which is just outside of the 16 that qualify for the national meet.

In the conclusion of the heptathlon, Tanner Brown secured another event victory to take fourth place overall with 5,138 points. Brown won the 1,000 meters with a time of 2:49.14. He also won the 60 meters on Thursday.

Nate Vann was close behind his teammate with 4,973 points. Vann's performance earned him sixth place in the overall standings. He took fifth in both the 60-meter hurdles and pole vault on the second day of heptathlon competition.

The men's hurdlers didn't miss a beat at The Peak. Antonio Norman and Joseph Holthusen took third and fourth in the prelims of the 60-meter hurdles to advance to Saturday's final. Norman ran a time of 7.93 and Holthusen ran a time of 7.97 to qualify.

A pair of Shockers scored team points in the men's long jump. Yuben Goncalves took fourth with a jump of 7.22m/23-8.25 and Dowdy Elazarig took seventh with a mark of 7.11m/23-4. Both Shockers earned personal bests in the event and combined for seven team points.

The men's distance medley relay squad of Jed Helker, JD Prinsloo, Josh Cable and Adam Moore were second overall wi

Comment

Shocker Men Finish 2nd as a Team at the Championship at The Peak

https://goshockers.com/news/2021/2/2...eam-title.aspx

The Wichita State men's squad was the team runners-up with 87 points.

Director of Track and Field and Cross Country Steve Rainbolt's father was an Air Force Captain and flew 175 combat missions in the South Pacific in World War II. He said it was a special experience to compete at the Air Force Academy and perform well.

"During these extremely tough circumstances due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this has been deeply meaningful for this old coach."

Joseph Holthusen and Antonio Norman etched their names in the Wichita State history books in the final of the men's 60-meter hurdles.

Holthusen ran a time of 7.74 for third place and Antonio Norman ran a time of 7.79 for fourth place. Holthusen missed the school record by just .02 seconds and Norman moved into No. 3 all-time in school history.

Holthusen's time (which will be slightly converted for altitude) is tied for No. 6 on the NCAA qualifying list. Norman's time is in a tie for 11th in the NCAA pre-conversion.

Rainbolt said the race was probably the best Shocker two-person indoor hurdling race in program history.

In the men's Mile, Bryce Merriman and Jed Helker went 2-3 to put up 14 team points. Merriman finished second with a time of 4:19.50 and Helker took third in 4:25.08.

Joakim Genereux took third in the men's 200 meters, running a time of 21.64. His time is good for No. 7 in school history in the event.

The Shockers' indoor regular season is done, but they have a couple of athletes in qualifying contention for the NCAA Indoor Championships on March 12-13.

Apparently the AAC is not holding an Indoor T&F Championship this year.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 27, 2021, 11:03 PM.

Comment

So. Joseph Holthusen Set for National Indoor Meet Appearance in the 60 Hurdles.

https://goshockers.com/news/2021/3/1...pearances.aspx

Joseph Holthusen qualified for the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships in the 60-meter hurdles. He will race the semifinals on Friday and if he advances to the final, that race will take place on Saturday. Holthusen will try to become the second ever hurdler to earn indoor All-America status. Shannon Armstrong accomplished the feat in 2004. (I think Armstrong was a senior when he earned his indoor AA honors).

The 60-meter hurdles semifinals will be at 2:15 p.m. on Friday. If Holthusen advances to the final, that race is set for 2:30 p.m. on Saturday. The meet will be hosted by the University of Arkansas and no fans will be allowed in person. Fans can follow along with updates on Twitter @GoShockersTFXC. The NCAA Indoor Championships will be streamed on ESPN3. Friday's broadcast starts at 1:45 p.m. and Saturday's broadcast starts at 12:30 p.m. Direct links to each stream will be available on GoShockers.com

Holthusen Season in Review
                Joseph Holthusen put together one of the best hurdling seasons in Shocker history during the 2021 indoor season.
                Hothusen ran the 60-meter hurdles 11 times. He ran 8.00 seconds or faster in all but two of those 11 tries.
                Holthusen placed no lower than fourth in the 60-meter hurdles at any meet he competed, including in an elite field at the Championship at The Peak.
                The Shocker hurdler qualified for the NCAA Championships with his time of 7.78 (converted from 7.74 at altitude). He ranks 12th in the nation going into the meet.

Shockers in the National Ranks
                The Shockers end the year with five athletes posting top-50 NCAA marks. A pair of hurdlers, a pair of multi-athletes and a thrower represent the Shockers in the top 50. Michael Bryan just missed out on qualifying for the national meet with his No. 20 ranking. He was 58 centimeters off of the qualifying mark for the NCAA meet.

12. Joseph Holthusen, 60-Meter Hurdles: 7.78 (converted from 7.74 at altitude)
                20. Michael Bryan, Weight Throw: 21.17m/69-5.50
                25. Antonio Norman, 60-Meter Hurdles: 7.83 (converted from 7.79 at altitude)
                43. Tanner Brown, Heptathlon: 5,284 points
                48. Nate Vann, Heptathlon: 5,251 points
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 10, 2021, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Good for Joseph Holthusen

Joseph Holthusen had one offer to run hurdles for a Division I track and field team upon graduating from Bishop Carroll High School and even that one, Wichita State, was hesitant.

Less than three years later, Holthusen has qualified for the NCAA Indoor Championships on Friday in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Now a junior at WSU, his season-best time of 7.78 seconds in the 60-meter hurdles is tied for the 12th-best mark in Friday’s 2:15 p.m. preliminaries. The top eight advance to Saturday’s 2:30 p.m. final.

“A lot of people don’t realize but qualifying for the NCAA Indoor Championships is possibly the most difficult meet to qualify for in the world, including the Olympic Games,” WSU assistant coach John Wise said. “If you look at just the standards across the world, it’s not as tough as getting in the top-16 in Division I because people all around the world are in the NCAA system.

Comment

This young man is something else. I assume the reason he was underrecruited is because he is a little shorter than most hurdlers and you wondered how he would adjust to the taller hurdles in college. I guess we have the answer to that. Good luck today Joseph.

Comment

Not his best race but great experience and Joseph is just a sophomore. I think 15th may give him 2nd team All-American honors. Not sure about that though. I expect Joseph will make his way back to the NCAA's in the future.

Wichita State T&F/XC
                      @GoShockersTFXC
                      ·
                      23s
                      Joseph Holthusen runs a time of 8.31 to finish 15th overall at the NCAA Indoor Championships. #watchus

Comment

Holthusen Earns Second Team All-America Honors

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark.—Joseph Holthusen represented the Wichita State men's track and field team at the NCAA Indoor Championships in the 60-meter hurdles.

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark.—Joseph Holthusen represented the Wichita State men's track and field team at the NCAA Indoor Championships in the 60-meter hurdles.

Holthusen ran a time of 8.31 to take seventh place in the second semifinal of the 60-meter hurdles.

Assistant Director of Track and Field and Cross Country John Wise said Holthusen was ready to run well but lost his balance off the first hurdle.

"He gained some valuable experience that will help him as he continues to get used to competing at this level," Wise said. "We are very proud of him for representing Wichita State at the national meet and earning second team All-American honors."

Holthusen's performance is good for a Second Team All-America honor. He is the second hurdler to earn All-America status in the indoor 60-meter hurdles. The only other Shocker to do so was Shannon Armstrong in 2004.

Comment

Shockers Help Open Hayward Field at Hayward Premiere

I post the article mostly because the meet will be the first meet held after Hayward Field's $200 million renovation that was completed in June 2020. Hayward Field, for those who don't know, is on the campus of the University of Oregon. Phil Knight/Nike money funding a good chunk of this along with 50 other donors. But, WOW, a $200 million renovation on a track and field facility. It looks great (should for that kind of wampum):

Director of Track and Field and Cross Country Steve Rainbolt On how special it is to be in the meet to open Hayward Field
                          "I have been feeling melancholy about Historic Hayward Field going away, but I've heard from coaches that there is talk of this being the finest track and field facility in the world. I'm certainly excited to go. I always enjoy going to Eugene, Oregon. We stay near the track. It's a beautiful place. There are trails that I use to go on my morning walk. I just enjoy going there. This is going to be a terrific track and field competition. Usually, we send our distance athletes to Stanford for a distance carnival, but with COVID, Stanford isn't having that meet. This is Oregon's response to that. They're creating a situation where the athletes have marvelous races to compete in. In addition to that, they're having a great track meet across the board. I think it's going to be neat. The three guys we're taking in the throws are really competing at a high level right now, so that's gonna be fun to watch. It'll be an upper-level setting and a fantastic venue. It will also give us a chance to get a preview of the facility for the NCAA meet."

Comment

Comment

Kung Wu can you see the above tweet. I think I am back to them not showing up for me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                                Kung Wu can you see the above tweet. I think I am back to them not showing up for me.
                                I see the pic with Bryan throwing the hammer and can click the #watchus.

Comment

Working...
                                X