No announcement yet.

2020-21 Shocker Men XC and Track & Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I miss dunking," Palen said. "My favorite dunk is between the legs and I've only done that in practice. My favorite dunk in a game was a reverse windmill."

Comment

Our two young men from Beloit starting competition in the NCAA West Regional right now.

Starting height is at 6-7 and both Davis and Brady are over. Davis on his 1st attempt and Brady on his 2nd attempt. Only 2 guys in the field did not clear 6-7 and 10 guys passed at that height. The bar is now at 6-9.

Davis and Brady have both missed on their first 2 attempts at 6-9. One more attempt to stay in the competition remaining for each.

Both Davis and Brady miss on their final attempt at 6-9 and are out of the competition. I'm sure both are bit disappointed as 6-7 is well below their best jumps of 7-0.25 and 6-11 respectiveley. Both will return next year so perhaps both will be motivated for another bite of the apple.

11 guys cleared 7-2.25 and all 10 retired. Nothing to be gained at that point and they weren't close to any records. No sense risking injury with a trip to the NCAA Championship finals secured. 5 of those guys cleared this height on their 3rd and final attempt. 2 guys cleared 7-1 with the 12th spot decided by the fewest misses tiebreaker.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 28, 2021, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Shocker senior Ethan Kossover knocked 4 seconds of his previous PR finishing in 8:53 in the 3000m steeplechase but that won't be good enough to advance to Eugene. Good effort by Ethan in his final race as a Shocker.

Ethan finished 7th in the 1st of 3 heats of 16 runners each. Top 3 of each heat and next 3 fastest times will advance.

Overall Ethan finished 17th in the 48-man field. Just a little short of making the NCAA Championships in Eugene but closes out a very find senior season for Ethan.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 29, 2021, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Michael Bryan in the Hammer Throw will be the lone Shocker traveling to Eugene, Oregon for the NCAA Championships.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Michael Bryan in the Hammer Throw will be the lone Shocker traveling to Eugene, Oregon for the NCAA Championships.
            Antonio Norman also qualified in the 110m hurdles by placing 7th with a time of 13.63 - 3rd fastest in WSU history.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                That was great piece. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Antonio Norman, Michael Bryan Take On NCAA Championships

The final two Shockers still competing for the 2020-21 year.

Michael Bryan looks to cap off his tremendous season in the hammer throw with All-America honors. The men's hammer throw finals will take place at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday. There are 24 men in the field (2 flights). Michael has the 13 best throw based on personal bests.

Antonio Norman has proven he is excellent over the 110-meter high hurdles in just his first collegiate season running the event. That is really pretty amazing to have that kind of success in your first year at it. The semifinals of the 110-meter hurdles start at 8:02 p.m. on Wednesday. Should Antonio Norman advance to the finals of the 110-meter hurdles, he would compete at 7:42 p.m. on Friday. 24 men competing in 3 heats on Wednesday. Top 2 from each heat plus next 2 best times advance to the finals on Friday. Antonio has is ranked 27th nationally so not likely to advance but you never know.

Director of Track and Field and Cross Country Steve Rainbolt on the Meet
                  On the goals and expectations for the NCAA Championships in Eugene, Oregon
                  "The goal is to go up to Eugene, Oregon, and get All-American awards. First Team All-Americans are the top eight finishers. Second Team is the next eight spots. The rule of thumb is if you do what you did to get there, you'll be an All-American. Does that always work out? No. But it's usually pretty close. Go there and do what you did to get there, you'll probably be an All-American. To do that, you have to try to treat it like any other competition. That is so hard to do because there's a heightened sense of anticipation and atmosphere. There's a lot of pageantry of it all and that can be overwhelming. The mindset is to treat it as any other competition. It's about trying to maintain the same focus. That's not an easy task."

On how big of an honor it is to qualify for the NCAA Championships
                  "This time of year is always really exciting. These two guys are just wonderful young men and fabulous athletes. I was thinking of how big of a celebration it was to see Antonio Norman run a huge personal best and realize he qualified for the NCAA Championships. Then I thought about how Michael Bryan's whole season has been great. He had a rough go around at the Regional meet and threw three meters less than normal, but he has become so good that less than his best is still good enough to make it to Nationals. His whole season has been unbelievable. He has broken the school record numerous times and it's something special we're seeing from him. This is a hugely significant season of hammer throwing for Michael Bryan. These guys are tremendous teammates. I'm excited to head up to Eugene, Oregon, with these guys."

Good luck gentlemen!

Comment

Comment

"You can hear the crowd cheering and everything," he said. "More energetic. It hypes me up a whole lot. I've been training my whole life for it."

Antonio Norman runs on Wednesday (8:02 p.m.) on ESPN2.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X