Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019-20 Shocker Men's Tennis

Shocker Men's Tennis Announces Fall Schedule

The schedule includes six tournaments which is an increase from last fall where the Shockers competed in four.

WSU's enters fall play with four returners and five newcomers on the squad, with two of the returners being Murkel Dellien and Marius Frosa who are both coming off a fantastic junior campaign as doubles partners. The duo reached the NCAA Championship quarterfinals and were honored as All-Americans in the spring.

The Shockers are scheduled to kick off their fall season with trips to Des Moines, Iowa for the Drake Invitational (Sept. 20-22) and Omaha, Neb. for the Bluejay Invite (Sept. 27-29). After this, they will make two visits to Tulsa, Okla. for the ITA All-American Championships (Oct. 5-13) and the ITA Central Regional Championships (Oct. 24-28). Finally, to conclude the fall campaign, WSU will travel to Dallas, Texas where they will compete in the Ralston/Neufield Coaches Challenge (Nov. 1-3) and Minneapolis, Minn. to participate in the Minnesota Invite (Nov. 9-11).

Frosa and Dellien Ranked No. 5 in the Nation

The ITA announced their preseason rankings which had the Wichita State University doubles pair of Marius Frosa and Murkel Dellien ranked at No. 5 in the nation. This is the second highest ranking for a doubles pair in Shocker men's tennis history behind Roberto Saad and Paul Smith who were ranked No. 2 during the 1982-83 season.

From what I can find there are 256 D-1 men's tennis programs. Assuming each program has 3 doubles teams the guys are ranked 5th out of 768 teams.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 17, 2019, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Ovil and Frosa Lead The Way at the ITA All-American Championships

Singles Pre-Qualifying:
      Sophomore Orel Ovil led the way making it all the way to the round of 32, picking up wins against Keshav Chopra of Georgia Tech, 6-0, 6-2, Jacob Bullard of Texas, 7-5, 7-6(5), and Christopher Edge of Middle Tennessee State, 7-6(9), 6-3.

Singles Qualifying:
      Marius Frosa made a run to third round of the qualifying draw defeating Bjorn Thomson, 7-6(5), 7-6(5), and Stefan Milicevic of Minnesota, 6-4, 4-6, 6-2, before falling to Aditya Vashitaha of St. Johns, 6-1, 6-2. Meanwhile, Murkel Dellien picked up a win over Mateo Julio of Purdue, 6-2, 7-5, in the consolation draw.

Doubles Main Draw:
      Shocker senior duo of Marius Frosa and Murkel Dellien fought hard but suffered losses to the 17th ranked pairing of Yuya Ito and Christian Sigsgaard from Texas, 6-1, 6-4, and to the team of Raphael Lambling and Daniel Rodrigues from South Carolina who are ranked No. 27, 3-6, 6-4, 1-0(8).

So much for the #5 doubles ranking for Marius and Murkel. But they have a lot of time left to work there way back up if they can.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Shockers Wrap-Up Fall Season in Minneapolis

Comment

Men's Tennis Adds Two Signees For Spring Season

Comment

Comment

The Shockers' 4-match winning streak came to an end in Knoxville as they lost to #16 ranked Tennessee 4-3 in a hard fought match as the Shocks fall to 5-3 on the season.

Wichita State 3, Tennessee 4
                  Singles Competition:
                  1. #23 Adam Walton (UT) def. Murkel Dellien (WSU) 6-2, 6-0
                  2. Martim Prata (UT) def. #122 Orel Ovil (WSU) 6-4, 7-6 (10-8)
                  3. Elio Lago (WSU) def. Luca Wiedenmann (UT) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
                  4. Giles Hussey (UT) def. Marius Frosa (WSU) 6-2, 5-7, 7-6 (8-6)
                  5. Stefan Latinovic (WSU) def. Mark Wallner (UT) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
                  6. Andrew Rogers (UT) def. Alex Richards (WSU) 6-1, 7-5
                  Doubles Competition:
                  1. Murkel Dellien/Marius Frosa (WSU) def. Andrew Rogers/Mark Wallner (UT) 6-4
                  2. Martim Prata/Adam Walton (UT) def. Benjamin Niv/Stefan Latinovic (WSU) 6-4
                  3. Elio Lago/Orel Ovil (WSU) def. Giles Hussey/Finn Stodder (UT) 6-4
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 3, 2020, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

The Shockers' 4-match winning streak came to an end in Knoxville as they lost to #16 ranked Tennessee 4-3 in a hard fought match as the Shocks fall to 5-3 on the season.

Wichita State 3, Tennessee 4
                    Singles Competition:
                    1. #23 Adam Walton (UT) def. Murkel Dellien (WSU) 6-2, 6-0
                    2. Martim Prata (UT) def. #122 Orel Ovil (WSU) 6-4, 7-6 (10-8)
                    3. Elio Lago (WSU) def. Luca Wiedenmann (UT) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
                    4. Giles Hussey (UT) def. Marius Frosa (WSU) 6-2, 5-7, 7-6 (8-6)
                    5. Stefan Latinovic (WSU) def. Mark Wallner (UT) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
                    6. Andrew Rogers (UT) def. Alex Richards (WSU) 6-1, 7-5
                    Doubles Competition:
                    1. Murkel Dellien/Marius Frosa (WSU) def. Andrew Rogers/Mark Wallner (UT) 6-4
                    2. Martim Prata/Adam Walton (UT) def. Benjamin Niv/Stefan Latinovic (WSU) 6-4
                    3. Elio Lago/Orel Ovil (WSU) def. Giles Hussey/Finn Stodder (UT) 6-4
                    Still an impressive showing against a ranked opponent!

Edit side note: I wondered about how you had the names. I couldn't see the match scores on ShockerNet Dark, but now I can with the dark gray quote.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Still an impressive showing against a ranked opponent!

Edit side note: I wondered about how you had the names. I couldn't see the match scores on ShockerNet Dark, but now I can with the dark gray quote.
                      I just copies the match scores from the Shocker.com article.. But I use the Default vB5 Style because I find it much easier on my eyes.

Comment

I just copies the match scores from the Shocker.com article.. But I use the Default vB5 Style because I find it much easier on my eyes.
                        Understand! That's why I like the Dark because the vB5 is too much white and bright. So, Kung Wu has us both covered.

Comment

The trick is just to select all of the text and then change the color to Automatic. Then it looks good on both.
                          Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            The trick is just to select all of the text and then change the color to Automatic. Then it looks good on both.
                            Okay ShockTalk I tried this trick on the post in question. Does that make a difference for you.

Comment

Okay ShockTalk I tried this trick on the post in question. Does that make a difference for you.
                              IT DID!!

Comment

Working...
                              X