Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$5 million to bring back football at WSU!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndShock
    Originally posted by TNMSUFAN
    Anyone hearing any talk of you guys getting contacted by CUSA...I have heard some things from very reliable people and surprised there isn't any talk on your board about it. The timing of the football talk is interesting though...
    Toying with us isn't very nice... :whistle:
    Not toying...everything but football with a 5-8 year plan to get DI football going

Comment

Originally posted by TNMSUFAN
      Anyone hearing any talk of you guys getting contacted by CUSA...I have heard some things from very reliable people and surprised there isn't any talk on your board about it. The timing of the football talk is interesting though...
      There is now ... share!
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I will say this ... If Beggs is having a change in heart based on the realignment talk and his interview is a way of testing the waters out there ... Man! What a legacy!

You guys want to meet at Beggs stadium for the football game? I hear the grass is green down on Mrs. Beggs Field. And if you get there early there is decent parking on Beggs Drive where we will be tailgating, eating some Beggs burgers, and toasting who else but Don Beggs!

Comment

I read something about that on the MSU board and maybe one other one during basketball season. Supposedly there were CUSA reps at the WSU/MSU b-ball game to talk about it?

If CUSA is talking about adding WSU, Beggs/Sexton would be stupid if they aren't at least kicking the tires on the idea, including if it means restoring football.

Comment

Someone I trust who is up there in the food chain says there has been talk and if anyone would know he would. Guess we will see how it plays out but I thought it was interesting that I hear something about a package deal with WSU and MSU to CUSA around the same time there is talk about you guys bringing football back.

Comment

I wouldn't classify the recent TV news series as talk of bringing football back. They were just bringing to light the efforts that have been going on for the past several years.

Comment

“Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

I'm game. But I loved the rumor I heard this weekend from someone who said he heard from a reliable source...Not sure I believe him but it was fun to listen to. He said there were some local millionaires who'd already committed to funding football early and there was talk of the Big 12 bringing in Wichita State and Houston down the road. He said something about a couple of the big money guys were actually KU and KSU grads. Now, while I don't really believe that to be the case as I don't think KU or KSU would want us in the same conference, especially KSU, it was a nice thought and would be a dream scenario.

With all that said, I find the CUSA talk more believeable. Both WSU and MSU could bring something to the table in basketball and baseball. I still think the potential for WSU is pretty decent in football. Especially with the Jayhawk Conference in the neighborhood. Get into a legit D1 football conference and it becomes even better. Oklahoma and Texas aren't that far away and Kansas has its fair share of talent.

Either way, I'd love, LOVE to see football back at Wichita State!
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                    Now, while I don't really believe that to be the case as I don't think KU or KSU would want us in the same conference, especially KSU, it was a nice thought and would be a dream scenario.
                    I think recent events have shown that their opinion doesn't matter one bit. If Texas wants us in, we're in. Simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu
                      Originally posted by SubGod22
                      Now, while I don't really believe that to be the case as I don't think KU or KSU would want us in the same conference, especially KSU, it was a nice thought and would be a dream scenario.
                      I think recent events have shown that their opinion doesn't matter one bit. If Texas wants us in, we're in. Simple as that.
                      Fair point
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Bringing back football to play in the MVC seems like a bet the program move for questionable benefits. Bringing back football to gain entrance into Conference USA seems to have a much better reward-to-risk feel.

As far as football being a big enrollment draw at Wichita State I can't really say yeah or nay for sure. However, IF football was, in fact, a big enrollment draw where were all those students during the last few years of the program's existence. They sure weren't with me at Cessna Stadium on game days in those final years.

Like any sport, build and WIN and they will come! Build it and lose and they will snooze!

Comment

The upside is that we already have a stadium in good condition, and a great athletic department. We just need to go big or go home on this. And we also need to understand that it might be 10 years before we're even deciding to go D1 FBS. We might go MIAA like Emporia and Pitt, and we'd still probably get our asses waxed for a few years.[/quote]

$5 Mill will get us Div III Football. And sorry kai, but the stadium is not in good condition. My sons play some of their High School and Youth football games there. If you stand on the walkways and look up at the seating, you can see light shining through where the concrete has crumbled away. And if you're there when it rains, water puddles-up on the walkways because it runs through the holes in the seating and there's no drainage. Concessions may be fine for 1,000 people, but for 30,000, forget it. And the restrooms, well we shouldn't talk about those, as some people may be eating breakfast. And even after you fix all those problems, The place is still butt ugly.

OK, I'll admit it. No matter what, bring back football and I'll be there. :clap:
                          "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but here's an article outlining Charlotte's journey to starting a football program. It gives an idea of what their budget is expected to be and how much in fees the students are paying.

Finding their own space in the crowded urban markets is tough enough for schools. The Charlotte 49ers are trying to do it from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound
                              Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but here's an article outlining Charlotte's journey to starting a football program. It gives an idea of what their budget is expected to be and how much in fees the students are paying.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/column...ark&id=6699612
                              From the article on the budget and fees:

Additionally, students will pay football operating fees -- freshmen will pay $50, sophomores $100, juniors $150 and seniors $200 -- to help the school pay for its increased athletic budget. Rose estimates the school will spend between $5 million and $6 million in football operating expenses annually.
                              This is for a student body of ~25,000 and for FCS level football expenses.

This would suggest that the $5 million number is a per year number, not the start-up cost number.
                              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I was checking out SIU's sight and their stadium. Noticed the city raised sales tax 1/2 percent to help pay for it.

I think I've mentioned this before but would it be possible for sedgwick county to have a vote to have a temporary sales tax increase like what they did with Intrust arena.

Over a 1-2 year period they could raise a lot of money. I know in these times it would be a hard sell. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried. I think sedgwick county would benefit from WSU having a new stadium and football program as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X