No announcement yet.

MVC Men's Outdoor Track & Field Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I expected, Gooris overtakes 'Kryzsztof in the javelin.

Gooris now leads by a narrow 39 points going into the final event, the 1500.

I can imagine a lot of miserable things....running a 1500, at the end of a decathlon, in the awful weather they are experiencing in Cedar Falls, has to be somewhere in the top 10.

Slupowski's best 1500 is almost 23 seconds slower than Gooris', so it will take a supreme effort to say the least to get the title here.

However, for the team, the Shocks go into the race holding down positions 2-7.

Comment

Shocks get 3 into the finals of the 110H. A different 3 than they probably expected, but still a good position.

Comment

Continuing the meet in these conditions has to be questioned.

The high jump was barely contested, and it really hurts WSU's team chances (and maybe why they decided to do it).

Looking for big team points, the Shocks only get a height from 1 jumper, Brandon Childs who finished 2nd.

Comment

Per typical of the low dollar way UNI does things, there have been no updates to web site for some time. They are contesting the next to last event of the evening, the women's 3k steeplechase. There are at least 6 events finished with no updates.

Not surprising I guess for this 2 bit program.

Comment

Jeff Connor was the lone entry for WSU in the shot. The freshman came up 6 feet short of his season best and did not score.

Very mild disappointment, but every point is going to matter in this tight race and even an 8th place finish would have helped.

Still looking for the first placement higher than expected for the Shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by goshox74
              The Shockers are projected for 30 points in the Decathlon, 22 in the Long Jump, 12 in the High Jump, 8 in the steeplechase and 2 in the Shot Put. An obviously they need to advance folks through most of the prelims for Sunday.

Comparitively SIU is up for 12 in the Shot, 10 in the steeple, and 4 in the Long Jump with 0 in both the Decathlon and High Jump.

For UNI: Dec 9, HJ 9, SP 17, steeple 1, LJ 0.
              '74, did you mean ISU instead of SIU? Just curious because ISUB had the 2 good steeple runners.

And ISUB went 1-2 in the 3k. I think, THINK Marius Sava for WSU finished 3rd. Someone took an awful fall with a lap and a half remaining....I don't think it was Marius, but it was hard to tell with UNI's 1985 technology.

As to the projections: LJ - project 22 actual 17. HJ - project 12 actual 8

steeple - project 8 actual 6 (I hope) and shot - project 2 actual 0.

Not a great day, especially in a tight race. Indiana State appears to be in great shape.

Comment

Daniel Gooris did indeed win the decathlon.

The Shocks did take the 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 places though for a total of 28 points if my math is correct.

Down 7 points, again if my math is right, from projections for the day.

Comment

The timing system went down during the 100m prelims so the ended up hand timing the 800m prelim and steeplechase finals and will run the 100m prelim tomorrow at noon and the 400 hurdle and 200m races as "timed finals" with 2 heats of each.

For the Shocker men it was a bit of a rough day. They're not out of it but according to projections SIU probably has about a 10 point lead over WSU with UNI and Indiana St trailing. Like we thought it will probably come down to the end and at least the forecast for tomorrow looks much better than today. It was REALLY bad out there, I felt sorry for the athletes, especially the multi-eventers.

Comment

Updates hard to come by, but it looks like a bad day for the Shocks.

Dylan Hartnett is the 400 champion, and he brought home the 4X400 title after taking the baton in 3rd place and the team twice having to navigate around languishing Sycamore runners (why somebody doesn't knock these guys into next week is beyond me).

Judging from the celebratory girly dance the Trees were doing after finishing 3rd in the 4X4, they either have a big audition upcoming at the local burlesque show, or they are the champs of the Valley. Sad that such a crappy school can take the title.

Congrats to all the champion Shockers!

Comment

Wow....closer than I thought.

Indiana State won the championship by 1 point over SIU. They beat SIU by one spot in the 4X4. That was the difference.

The Shocks finished 3rd, just 5 points behind the Trees. UNI just another 6 points back.

Want to know the difference between 1st and 3rd? There are probably a dozen things that were within an eyelash of the 4 teams, but let's just glance at the 110H finals for just a moment.

Todd McKown won the race for WSU but Greggmar Swift for ISUB upset Lawson Montgomery for WSU by 1 one-hundredth of a second for the #2 spot.

Further down the list, Chris Henely for UNI and Cory Beenken for WSU both posted 14.44 times, but Henely picked up the extra point as he was timed 1 ONE THOUSANDTH of a second faster.

In other words, give me 11 one thousandths of 1 second, and WSU are champs.

Again, congrats to all the Shockers, especially the champions.

Comment

Yeah that is a great observation of how close this meet was. It was a heartbraking loss for WSU, who was up and down the whole meet. Every time the Shocks would get some momentum going something would go against them and like I mentioned earlier it would pretty much come down to the final event, just like indoor.

I wouldn't say WSU had a bad meet, it just wasn't a great meet. So many places that could have resulted in 5 points - and I'm sure SIU could say the same thing about ONE point they lost by.

Still it was a very fun meet and this is really a great conference for track and field when FOUR teams are so closely matched. I'm sure the Shockers will bounce back in 2012 and remember we host next year's outdoor championship!

Comment

Working...
                        X