No announcement yet.

APP State Post-Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very impressive second half by the Shocks. Great game for Matt and another solid game for PJ. Phil wasn't bad either and Ramon had a very good 2nd half.

Now we need to get a little more help from some of the other guys and put a two good halves together and things could get interesting.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

We couldn't (and didn't) win this game last year.

We couldn't have physically or emotionally came back with confidence and performed like we did in the second half.
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

Outscored ASU 37-21 in the second half. Pretty impressive given the hill we've had to climb so far this season... :goshocks:
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

I was really proud of the guys to go on that 10-0 run to start the second half. It showed me that they are capable of digging out of a deficit very quickly. Very encouraging. ASU was shell-shocked the entire second half because of that. Best win of the season so far.

:yahoo:

Comment

Great win for the Shockers. I'm not kidding myself that this was Duke and we're ready to play the world, but this was a solid team and a solid road win. I'm in agreement with the Shizzle that last year's team doesn't come back or finish this game strong.

Other thoughts:

Can someone please remove the lid from the basket when Mantas "Stonefoot" Griskenas shoots? His mobility on "D" is not so good and his shot is not so good either. This guy lit it up in JUCO and the rims are still ten feet there, so I know he can shoot it. At some point the shots have to start falling...don't they? I'd say sit him, but he's only averaging about 15 minutes and there's no one to give those to. Maybe Durley starts getting 20 minutes? Mantas is 0 for the season on threes and with his defensive liability there's not much to like. I hope he figures it out.

Another 34 minutes for Matty and PJ. I don't have an answer for the 4-5 minutes I'd take from each of them because it's a steep drop off, but it's a long season.

Aaron Ellis' averaged 10 minutes the first five games. He got 8 against Wyoming and 6 tonight. Something's going the wrong direction there.

One more thing, PJ's pretty good.
            Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ol' Badass Balla
              Another 34 minutes for Matty and PJ. I don't have an answer for the 4-5 minutes I'd take from each of them
              I hope they each play 35 minutes every game this season. The team is more cohesive when they are on the floor. Too many subs ruin the flow, especially on offense. Concerns about them getting tired are overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShockFan
                Another 34 minutes for Matty and PJ. I don't have an answer for the 4-5 minutes I'd take from each of them
                I hope they each play 35 minutes every game this season. The team is more cohesive when they are on the floor. Too many subs ruin the flow, especially on offense. Concerns about them getting tired are overrated.
                I'm in agreement with the first part. I'm saying I don't have an answer to who I'd sub in because there's no one I'd want in right now. It would be nice if we had a player that could come in and provide a spark for 10 minutes when these guys came out. I don't think concerns about them playing 35 minutes a game over the season are overrated. However, concerns about how bad we suck when they're out are not.
                Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

The BIGGEST thing that impressed me was the way this team fought back after being down by 11 a couple times. They showed ALOT of heart and I don't care who you are playing to be down 2 different times by 11 and still pull the win ON THE ROAD is pretty darn impressive and tells me alot about this team.
                  "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Xavier McDaniel routinely played this much back in the day his Sophomore through Senior years. It just made him a bigger meaner badass than he was in the first place.....

however, it would benefit the team in the long run to get others more PT. We will need them to be truly successful...
                    :goshocks:
                    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock
                      Xavier McDaniel routinely played this much back in the day his Sophomore through Senior years. It just made him a bigger meaner badass than he was in the first place.....

however, it would benefit the team in the long run to get others more PT. We will need them to be truly successful...
                      :goshocks:
                      It will take longer on the road to develop death, just the way it works. You could tell it was alot of guys' first Div 1 road game. Ramone didn't score much, but he played pretty solid and was definately big in helping the Shox pull out the win, other than that it will take a few more road games before the "young" players start to put it together a little better.
                      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Coach Marshall is indeed developing our depth which is wise. Actually, last year I felt we lost some winnable games because Wilson, PJ, and MB did not get enough minutes. N. Iowa here was one such game we lost. Their top 3 players did get several more minutes then ours, and led them to the win on our home-court. Just my own opinion which is free of charge--no strings attached.
                        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Best I can figure is that about 20 of PJ's minutes come from the 3 position. There is no way to reduce GM, MB, & PJ's playing time unless those minutes are reduced. The problem is how. I'd like to see Ramon and Phil both get 2 or 3 more minutes a game and I still believe Mantas will come around. More minutes may go to Durley and Ellis as they gain more experience. The question is : Can GM and PJ handle the back court for short periods when Matt goes out?

Comment

It was a great win for the Shocks. What I loved about the win was when HCGM "Hi-Fived" all the players down the bench with 19 seconds to go in the game. He loves giving credit where credit is due, the players.

Comment

Nice second half, gutty win. Any win on the road with this many new faces is good. Love watching Marshall on the sideline. This was a character builder. Still need to be more consistent in the frontcourt.

Comment

I didn't get to watch or listen to this game but it seems CGM should get a lot credit for this one. The team actually executed a zone defense and had an effective press; I don't remember the last time a WSU team did both in game. Great second half adjustments by CGM and the seniors deserve praise for leading the way.

I am still not sold on this team's "toughness" but this game certainly helped sway me.

Concerns:

The PG position. I did not anticipate writing this before the season began but someone has to step in and help MB. He can't carry this team alone and the team cannot afford bad stretches when he is out. Mekel, Preadom, someone – step up please.

MG – I maintain he can shoot but this is starting to become a pattern. I don't know what this kids needs to start being successful but he has to score the basketball.

Comment

Working...
                                X