No announcement yet.

Out of conference schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont think anyone is holding anything near a cliff at this point. But if the Aztecs play anything like last night you can go ahead and pencil in a loss. Will a loss to the Aztecs kill our chances at the dance or ruin our season... In no way shape or form.

Comment

I just sent an email to ADES and begged him to cancel the Saturday, December 4th game at SDSU because some SN's just know we will get slaughtered. I wrote that SDSU's performance last night at Gonzaga was just too much for us to attempt to handle. Because, of course, it's guaranteed that the Aztecs will play every game exactly the same as they did last night. I mean Billy White will score 30 and haul in 9 rebounds every game. And don't forget the great Kawhi Leonard will get 18 points and 12 rebounds every game. Reserve James Rahon will score 12 points and go perfect from the 3-point line game-in and game-out...PLEASE.

I know they were impressive last night, but let's not give them the key to the emerald city just yet. I, too, looked at the Shockers schedule when it came out and predicted December 4 was probable going to be a loss. But if we play well, we should be in any game this year against anybody on our schedule.

Remember, Tulsa lost at home against Appalachian State last week, and by all accounts, looked bad. They rebounded and beat ORU soundly. ORU is supposed to contend for the Horrizon league title, so they are no push-over. By the rationale of some SNers Tulsa would play like s#%t and lose every game.

So when t7017s says things like "honestly after watching them last night I think they could play poorly against us and still handle us fairly easily," I get a little grumpy...sorry! :goshocks:

Comment

I was very impressed with SDSU last night. They are definitely a top 25 team. That doesn't mean I'm penciling in a loss. I welcome the fact that we will be playing a darn good team on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by GarH
          I was very impressed with SDSU last night. They are definitely a top 25 team. That doesn't mean I'm penciling in a loss. I welcome the fact that we will be playing a darn good team on the road.
          Now that's the spirit... :wsu_posters:

Comment

Uconn up 1 with 6mins in the first half against Vermont. Is showing on Espn3.com
            Shocker fan since December 28th, 2005!

Comment

UConn is down 3 to Vermont at the half.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                We will have to find a way to contain Kemba Walker. He has, I think, 21 of their 33 first half points. If we can do that, we will be very successful on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by shockerofandover0943
                  Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                  We will have to find a way to contain Kemba Walker. He has, I think, 21 of their 33 first half points. If we can do that, we will be very successful on Monday.
                  Then again, if Walker being on pace to score 42 still results in his team being on pace to lose and score less than 70 points, maybe it is less about stopping him and just making sure no one else gets going.
                  "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye
                    San *Diego State's win against Gonzaga was impressive. The Zags have lost only 7 games on that court.

However, I'm not ready to mark December 4th as a loss already (although I did predict a loss there when the schedule came out).

We've yet to see the Shockers play against any meaningful competition. Everything changes when you're playing a quality opponent, especially one with a ranking. We'll learn a lot about the team in the next week when we finally (or abruptly) face 2-3 quality opponents which will force us to play our starters and core backups more minutes than they're currently logging.

We've played one game and already people are poking one toe over the cliff...
                    There may be some who are "poking one toe over the cliff" while there are others who have the exact opposite viewpoint and that's the beauty of these message boards. You get to hear from all sides.

With that said, I can see where some would think our guys are another year older, another year to develop more physically and another year of having more experience automatically translates to more wins and better outcomes for this program. Wrong.

Sometimes your opponent has players that are simply more athletic and skillful than your own despite what you are carrying over from the previous year. SDSU looks just like that type of team. Some of the baskets that were made from moves those guys displayed last night were very impressive. UCONN is the same way. Yeah, they are inexperienced but they simply recruit more gifted players than we do - that's no secret.

This season will be quite simple. We win the non-con games we are supposed to, we lose to non-con teams in the toss-up games and we dominate the piss poor valley and punch our ticket to the NCAA's and win one game before going home.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                      This season will be quite simple. We win the non-con games we are supposed to, we lose to non-con teams in the toss-up games and we dominate the piss poor valley and punch our ticket to the NCAA's and win one game before going home.
                      At least you are consistent.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

One thing to consider is Steve Fisher had all five starters returning. When you have five starters returning you should come out of the gate strong. HCGM is still trying to figure out his starting five. The Shockers should have a higher curve of improvement over the next month or so than SDSU. SDSU is pretty close to their potential now. The Shockers have much more room for improvement.

Comment

Hey KC...buy Rollie Massimino a cup of coffee and get his take on your idea.
                          :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by wufan
                            Originally posted by fuball7
                            Originally posted by t7017s
                            Did you watch the game? Zaga was lucky to get it to within 5 the few times they did. Everytime they did SDSU had answers from every position. SDSU has no weakness that I saw. The only reason it wasnt a blowout was because Gray for Zaga was out of his mind and single handedly willed his way to keep the zags in it. SDSU is the real deal and then some!

I would like to point out that I did say that if they play like last night that we are gonna get spanked. I didnt say if they play poorly we get handled. Honestly after watching them last night I think they could play poorly against us and still handle us fairly easily.
                            wow. i dont give any team in the country that much credit. let alone san diego state. not saying were better than them but to say they flat out handle us easily is a little much
                            If you watched them last night, you'd know what he meant. They look like a top 10 team! They look final four ready. We'll see if they maintain that level, but they matched up well with anyone in the country last night.
                            I did watch a little last night. now i didnt get to see a whole lot but parts i saw were two teams jacking up bad shots towards the end of the 1st half. wow top 10 and final four ready after one game. thats an impressive showing. i never said they arent impressive but its one game. i dont pencil in losses to anyone. no one should. anyone heard the saying "THATS WHY THEY PLAY THE GAME!"

Comment

And one other thing KC, while you & Rollie are shootin the s%#t over the Debbie Downer coffee, ask him what Jimmy V told him about the 'Pack win in '83.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                                Originally posted by pie n eye
                                San *Diego State's win against Gonzaga was impressive. The Zags have lost only 7 games on that court.

However, I'm not ready to mark December 4th as a loss already (although I did predict a loss there when the schedule came out).

We've yet to see the Shockers play against any meaningful competition. Everything changes when you're playing a quality opponent, especially one with a ranking. We'll learn a lot about the team in the next week when we finally (or abruptly) face 2-3 quality opponents which will force us to play our starters and core backups more minutes than they're currently logging.

We've played one game and already people are poking one toe over the cliff...
                                There may be some who are "poking one toe over the cliff" while there are others who have the exact opposite viewpoint and that's the beauty of these message boards. You get to hear from all sides.

With that said, I can see where some would think our guys are another year older, another year to develop more physically and another year of having more experience automatically translates to more wins and better outcomes for this program. Wrong.

Sometimes your opponent has players that are simply more athletic and skillful than your own despite what you are carrying over from the previous year. SDSU looks just like that type of team. Some of the baskets that were made from moves those guys displayed last night were very impressive. UCONN is the same way. Yeah, they are inexperienced but they simply recruit more gifted players than we do - that's no secret.

Wow, you make it sound like so much fun! GO SHOCKERS!!! I'm so fired up right now!

/sarcasm

Comment

Working...
                                X