Suicide Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suicide Watch

Does anyone want to comment on Coach Marshall's demeanor, during the post game interview with Kennedy?

While listening, I harkened back to Coach Turgeon and his hangdog demeanor, after a demoralizing loss and how members of this very board blasted him into smithereens.

Since it is only the 3rd game, there shouldn't be the blasting that Turgeon was getting last season. So hopefully people remember that it is only his 3rd game. Now if this continues, there might be quite a bit of blasting.

Comment

It seems to me that this was very new for him to have encountered such a demoralizing loss. As he stated, "This is the worst offensive production that I have been associated with. I am going to have to dust off my psychology books." Now this is just what I percieve, but it always seemed like Turgeon's teams always had some mental toughness lacking (a fragileness about them).

I remember the pre game press conference with GM before the 1st game of the year, and he stated that putting a body on someone is foreign to a lot of these guys.

The majority of this team is Turgeon's; therefore you put a lack of mental toughness and a lack of physical toughness and you aren't going to get very far. PRAISE Coach Marshall for his tenacity in overcoming these bad habits with this team. I think after some time, practice, repetition, etc - we will have a decent season. AND then everybody better watch out - - when next year rolls around.

and by the way - I am not putting Turg down - -I think he did some AWESOME things for Wichita State basketball.

Comment

I can't help but think of "Hoosiers" while watching this team. A coach with an impressive record, a group of existing players with talent, but lacking defensive discipline, and a couple very rough losses to start the season.

I think the shots will come with rythym, and the defense will continue to improve giving them more transition opportunities (easy points for PJ to get his confidence back) and that will lead to wins.

Don't confuse mental exhaustion with lack of confidence and lack of intensity. Coach Marshall WILL get the team ready to play, the ball will go in the basket, and when it does watch out!

Comment

Coach Marshalls demeanor always sounds upbeat, positive, and smooth.
          He even handled Dennis with the upmost respect and dignity. Right now, it seems like our players are perplexed, and maybe trying so hard they are not focusing nor concentrating.

Our Offense last night was stagnet much of the evening and we were playing to the beat of the Monmouth drum, rather then playing Marshall ball. Consequently, our best players were missing chip shots and it is becoming contagious. My thoughts is the problem is right between our ears. Coach is right, get out the psych. books because we have the talent, and it just a matter of time that it all clicks. When our leaders are struggling, that can result in the domino syndrome with the other players.

I loved the analogy of the Hooiser movie by Mr. Downtown Shocker Brown. Two things made a difference for them. The players begining to understand a new style of basketball and slowly but surely bought in together and it worked. Then they had their star player play afterall. Now our situation is somewhat different. However, when AB gets well and EO gets here, we will have great depth at each position and in due time, we will start coming together and winning our fair share of games.
          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Coach could have probably destroyed Monmouth with his previous Winthrop team.... (nothing more to add about that...)

I like many others thought coach could just walk in and things would start smelling like roses and looking like gold. In many ways they have but the results on the court are still forthcoming. Times like these are best survived as a fan by disconnecting emotionally with each game until some stability begins to surface. If one approaches games mentally prepared, the loss won't be as painful. Instead of looking for a dominating performance, look for tiny improvements in different aspects of the game. Find something to hang your hat on as a fan while Marshall's system is becoming fully implemented.

I know it looks crazy to have players jacking up 3-balls all game long but there is a reason why it is happening. Coach could call one time-out and stop it instantly. The majority of the reason it looks so strange is because T$U$R$G$E$O$N wanted significantly more passing and outside shots by only a few. If you remember, all teams had to focus on was Sean and if Kyle wasn't hitting we were in trouble. I think when things get settled down we are going to be pretty nasty to defend and hard to beat.

Show support and emotional stability now and you won't look like a jacka$$ in December when Orukpe shows up and we start creaming teams..

IT'S A GREAT DECADE TO BE A SHOCKER!!!

T

...8)

Comment

So if WSU = Hoosiers then which of your are the loud obnoxious local 'necks who want to run coach out of town? C'mon there are already a few of you out there, I can smell your panic already. :)

Comment

I noticed, but I think it was exaggerated to a small degree by a voice that was almost gone. I was concerned for a couple of minutes, but I am sure he will be back to his old form once they touch down in Wichita.

He will get things going in due time -- no doubt....

:goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks:
                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Re: Suicide Watch

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
                  Does anyone want to comment on Coach Marshall's demeanor, during the post game interview with Kennedy?

While listening, I harkened back to Coach Turgeon and his hangdog demeanor, after a demoralizing loss and how members of this very board blasted him into smithereens.
                  I don't personally remember hammering Mark, RDR, but I will say I was concerned on a personal level listening to Gregg last night. I have never heard him like that and admittedly it was a bit unsettling.

It does not change my view of our program but the moment itself was a bit uncomfortable to say the least.

Comment

Suicide watch? Naaaah.

Get back to me when we've lost 11 in a row. Anyone remember enduring that during Turgeon's inaugural season?

What doesn't kill one (or cause one to kill one's self) makes one stronger.

Comment

Don't pay any attention to me. I was just stirring up trouble....sorta.

I have received information from a very reliable source that Kennedy gave a couple of Valium to Coach Marshall right after the interview.

Comment

Originally posted by shox8498

What doesn't kill one (or cause one to kill one's self) makes one stronger.
                        Except for that stuff that builds up and kills you slowly, like mercury or cholesterol, or back to back sub .500 seasons.
                        I had season FOOTBALL tix... did you?

Comment

I doplayen't understand why some people expect a coach to always immediately have answers to problems such as we are seeing with the Shockers. We are not dealing with robots, we are dealing with young kids. I imagine that he will go back to the drawing board and try many things. Some of the problem is that we probably lack some scoring talent but this is far from the only answer. Players still need to learn the system, CGM still needs to learn about the players, the players need to find out what there shot is with perhaps GM's help, players still need to learn about each other, new players need to develop confidence, and Couz, and Matt need to maintain or gain their confidence. There are a lot of other possible solutions and it all sounds easy doesn't it? No problem.

Comment

Reflect.

T

...8)

Comment

Let's enjoy the success of Coach Lamb's team and root for the volleyball team to finish the season undefeated. Then we can watch both Shocker basketball teams develop and improve while the volleyball team wins the MVC VB tourney and makes a deep run in the NCAA tourney. By March, the MBB and WBB teams will be playing much better and Gene will have the young baseball team ranked in the Top 20 like usual.

Everything will be fine. My only suggestion is in January to replace Matt Braeuer as graduate assistant with a really tough athlete - one who proven to have more heart, hustle, dedication and national attention than anybody on our MBB team (including RC) - Kelly Broussard. (OK I'm kidding but I wish the MBB and WBB teams had to go through a week of Chris Lamb's practices. Kelly could show by example what is expected and shame these guys.) :lol:
                              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Working...
                              X