No announcement yet.

Bench Braeuer and Cooz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me clarify and back off a bit. I started with one intention in this thread and then got a bit carried away from my original thought. Losing to Monmouth can do that.

Give Griskenas or Ellis a start instead of Cooz. Maybe just for a few possessions. Make it clear that if a player - any player - doesn't perform, maybe there's someone else who should get a look.

It would be hard to the same with Braeuer. At this stage of the season there isn't a second PG on the team. Seeing what's happening at PG, it's not surprising that Marshall turned up the recruiting focus on guards. Possibly after seeing the play in individual workouts and early practices.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Say what you want, PJ is not a 2 and has not been playing the 2; he just thinks he is. Through the first 3 (official) games, MB averaged 36 minutes, GM 32, and PJ 33. Not enough minutes to go around to say he's the 2. Even with a 3 guard offense, one guard generally is more of a slasher type guy. Perhaps the problem is that he needs to be told he's actually a 3 when both Matt and Gal are on the court with him! Our strength right now appears to be in the front court, so let's get more minutes for those folks. Only have two of the three, MB, GM, & PJ, on the court at the same time, unless JP is committed to playing the 3 with MB and GM on the court with him. I want the old PJ back.

Comment

Re: Bench Braeuer and Cooz

Originally posted by Aargh
        In the game for last place in the tournament, put anyone other than Braeuer and Cooz in the starting lineup. Those guys need a wakeup call.

SIU had a start of a season like this 2 years ago. The eraly-season bad losses were enough to keep them out of the NCAA's. They got in by winning Arch Madness.

I hate to say it, but losing to Baylor and Monmouth requires a major turnaround to be an NCAA bubble team. That major turnaround doesn't appear likely.

Either WSU is going to have an unbelievable turnaround or WSU has to get the Valley's auto-bid. If neither of those happen, WSU isn't going to sniff the NIT.

Bench the Sr's other than PT. Cooz and Matt are still playing Turgeon ball and haven't adjusted to the different coaching. Let them play again when they are confident in what's supposed to happen this year instead of relying on what they've done in the past.

It's only 3 early-season games, but bad losses are stacking up. At some point it's better to build for next year than to work on this year. Cooz and Braeuer need to be aware of this and demonstrate they want some wins this year. If they don't do that, Marshall may as well work on developing next year's team.
        crack kills. speaking of sniffin, what are you on man?
        ________
        HollyAss
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

Originally posted by lawmaker
          I hate to say it, but losing to Baylor and Monmouth requires a major turnaround to be an NCAA bubble team.
          I don't really think anybody thinks (or has the illusion) that WSU could be a bubble team. Might have been hoping prior to the season starting, but that should be gone now.

If you listen to Marshall in the preseason, he's pretty much hinted that he expect to take some lumps early but grow throughout the season and be playing their best at the end - i.e. Win the MVC tournament and earn their bid that way. That's was how it operated at Winthrop.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk
            Say what you want, PJ is not a 2 and has not been playing the 2; he just thinks he is.
            I think this thought is very profound. On any team, when a player starts worrying about himself and loses sight of the TEAM, then things go downhill quickly. Take care of your team and do what it takes to win and the personal rewards will follow.

Comment

Re: Bench Braeuer and Cooz

Originally posted by Aargh
              In the game for last place in the tournament, put anyone other than Braeuer and Cooz in the starting lineup. Those guys need a wakeup call.

SIU had a start of a season like this 2 years ago. The eraly-season bad losses were enough to keep them out of the NCAA's. They got in by winning Arch Madness.

I hate to say it, but losing to Baylor and Monmouth requires a major turnaround to be an NCAA bubble team. That major turnaround doesn't appear likely.

Either WSU is going to have an unbelievable turnaround or WSU has to get the Valley's auto-bid. If neither of those happen, WSU isn't going to sniff the NIT.

Bench the Sr's other than PT. Cooz and Matt are still playing Turgeon ball and haven't adjusted to the different coaching. Let them play again when they are confident in what's supposed to happen this year instead of relying on what they've done in the past.

It's only 3 early-season games, but bad losses are stacking up. At some point it's better to build for next year than to work on this year. Cooz and Braeuer need to be aware of this and demonstrate they want some wins this year. If they don't do that, Marshall may as well work on developing next year's team.

???? Still waiting with bated breath... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

T

...8)

Comment

Too many minutes leads to tired legs, which leads to poor shooting; course, I haven't SEEN these last two games, so I'm only guessing. Or grasping, really.

Comment

forevershockerfan hit the nail on the head with his take.

A lot of Shocker fans had an unrealistic belief in how fast this team would learn GM's system.

Comment

Originally posted by wushock
                    How in the world can you bench Matt. Gal cant pass nor can he dribble. If anything happens to Matt was are in a big hurt. Cooz could use some time on the pine
                    Did you watch the games? If not, you get a pass because you are assuming Matt is playing like he did the in the home games. If you saw the games, it is obvious he is not playing nearly as well. He was mediocre against Baylor and horrible against Monmouth. Against Monmouth's zone, all he did was stand on the perimeter and pass the ball. And point. Gal penetrated the zone creating shots for himself and others. And occasionally turning the ball over. I can live with those turnovers a lot more than doing nothing, which is all Matt did.

Comment

Pinstripers, I've got to agree. I think that Matt, P.J. and Gal have all played too many minutes. when you are tired only bad things happen. Some have mentioned P.J. may be thinking about the next level. I think that has some merit, also. We're still just 3 games into a 30 + game season. It's too early to write WSU off for anything yet.

Comment

how could you possibly feel that we will get any postseason action this year if we didnt last year? Its a terrible looking team right now, and i agree that we should bench cooz and matt. (different thread). Mekel needs to stop shooting, and stop touching the ball because if he makes a shot, he'll shoot the ball til the cows come home
                        "Say it slowly and savor it..."
                        Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

Originally posted by wsushockerdude
                          how could you possibly feel that we will get any postseason action this year if we didnt last year? Its a terrible looking team right now, and i agree that we should bench cooz and matt. (different thread). Mekel needs to stop shooting, and stop touching the ball because if he makes a shot, he'll shoot the ball til the cows come home
                          I hope not, because I really don't want to see us score in the thirties.

Edit: some facts to back up my statement.

He is averaging almost 15 ppg with apr 2.5 assists per game. That is 20 ppg for which he is directly responsible. He is also shooting 47% from the field, second only to PT and much better than any other perimeter player on the team. All this anti-Gal talk is stupid beyond belief.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushockerdude
                            So who's going to shoot the dang ball?

Let's start Preadom, Michael and Hatch. That'll cure our ills for sure!

Comment

Actually, the Wendell thing confuses me. When the whole damn team is shooting like Wendell, why doesn't he get some minutes? Even he can shoot 29%........

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
                                Actually, the Wendell thing confuses me. When the whole damn team is shooting like Wendell, why doesn't he get some minutes? Even he can shoot 29%........
                                Probably because the other guys have shown the ability to shoot much better.

Comment

Working...
                                X