Most Efficient MVC Basketball Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Efficient MVC Basketball Coach

Here's the breakdown on the revenue, expenses and profits of all the Division I college basketball programs.

hat tip to DaShox for the link

Top Revenue
    1. CU 4,825,616
    2. WSU 4,139,169
    3. MSU 3,745,378
    4. BU 2,994,774
    5. Drake 2,044,433
    6. UE 1,978,179
    7. UNI 1,901,814
    8. SIU 1,805,378
    9. ISU (R) 1,525,638
    10. ISU (B) 713,768

Least Expenses
    1. ISU (B) 1,248,174 ***** MVC #5 *****
    2. UNI 1,511,228 ************ MVC #1, NCAA Sweet 16 ************
    3. ISU (R) 1,718,793 *******MVC #3 ********
    4. MSU 1,837,352 *** MVC #7 ***
    5. UE 1,978,179 * MVC #10 *
    6. Drake 2,126,455 *** MVC #8 ***
    7. SIU 2,230,041 ** MVC #9 **
    8. BU 2,970,067 **** MVC #6 ****
    9. WSU 3,187,098 ********* MVC #2 *********
    10. CU 4,036,610 ****** MVC #4 *******

Evidently throwing money at the basketball and the coaches is not the recipe for success in the MVC.

Comment

Awesome link. What the hell is Louisville doing to have revenues of 25MM? How are they raising that type of revenue?
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu
        Awesome link. What the hell is Louisville doing to have revenues of 25MM? How are they raising that type of revenue?
        I addressed this in another thread, but it has everything to do with accounting.

Most schools count most of their scholarship organization donations as non program specific, so the donation revenue for individual sports is small, but the donation revenue for the athletic department is large.

Louisville counts a way, way larger percentage of donations specifically towards basketball, so that it counts towards basketball revenue. They aren't actually getting more donations that comparable schools, but most schools don't count those donations towards basketball revenue.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

The most surprising thing from these numbers to me is how low the revenue is for Illinois St and SIU.

I assume they have more students attending their games than most of the other Valley schools so that may be what is keeping their revenue numbers down.

Comment

excerpt from the article
            "The comparison between basketball revenues and profits is interesting, but not precise. That's because schools have latitude in their filings with the Department of Education in whether they attribute some expenses and revenues to a specific sport or a more general classification for their entire athletic department."

In the information required by Equity in Athletics CU used to have expenses exactly equal to the revenues. Even the gross revenues can't be counted on as being correct.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
              I addressed this in another thread, but it has everything to do with accounting.

Most schools count most of their scholarship organization donations as non program specific, so the donation revenue for individual sports is small, but the donation revenue for the athletic department is large.

Louisville counts a way, way larger percentage of donations specifically towards basketball, so that it counts towards basketball revenue. They aren't actually getting more donations that comparable schools, but most schools don't count those donations towards basketball revenue.
              Interesting. I just did a quick sanity check. Louisville would have to average just under $70 for every single seat at every single home game to make 25MM. That's not as unrealistic as I first would have thought.

That does mean that they have a seriously steeply tiered season ticket rate, or even the nose bleeds are paying over $1000/seat for season tickets.

Comment

Well this has something to do with their monster revenue stream. Want priority seats at Louisville?

* Priority I: 4 Seats: $1,600 Annually + Minimum Gift of $150,000 (payable over 5 years); 2 Seats: $1,600 Annually + Minimum Gift of $100,000 (payable over 5 years)
                ** Priority II: $900 Annually + Minimum Gift of $25,000 (payable over 5 years)

Comment

Interesting. I just did a quick sanity check. Louisville would have to average just under $70 for every single seat at every single home game to make 25MM. That's not as unrealistic as I first would have thought.

That does mean that they have a seriously steeply tiered season ticket rate, or even the nose bleeds are paying over $1000/seat for season tickets.
                  In case you are interested, here is what I said in an earlier post:

The problem with these kind of number is that there is huge variance in accounting practices.

The biggest issue is how contributions are counted. Take a comparison of Louisville and KU from 2005.

First Louisville

They list men's basketball contributions as being $8,719,951
                  They list non-program specific contributions as being $94,561

All told, Louisville's total contributions are $11,507,810

Next KU

They list men's basketball contributions as being $166,814
                  They list non-program specific contributions as being $16,393,774

All told, KU's total contributions are $18,500,207

Louisville didn't make more money than KU, they just did the accounting differently. In fact, KU made $7.5 million more as an athletic department than Louisville did, even though on paper Louisville made $6 million more on basketball than KU.
                  "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

In case you are interested, here is what I said in an earlier post:

The problem with these kind of number is that there is huge variance in accounting practices.

The biggest issue is how contributions are counted. Take a comparison of Louisville and KU from 2005.

First Louisville

They list men's basketball contributions as being $8,719,951
                    They list non-program specific contributions as being $94,561

All told, Louisville's total contributions are $11,507,810

Next KU

They list men's basketball contributions as being $166,814
                    They list non-program specific contributions as being $16,393,774

All told, KU's total contributions are $18,500,207

Louisville didn't make more money than KU, they just did the accounting differently. In fact, KU made $7.5 million more as an athletic department than Louisville did, even though on paper Louisville made $6 million more on basketball than KU.

Yes I am interested in learning the business side of the game, thanks for sharing that post. It's a bit annoying that there isn't a consistent reporting method required across the board.

Comment

According to the numbers listed

Most PROFIT (revenue - expenses)

1. MSU 1,908,026
                      2. WSU 952,071
                      3. CU 789,006
                      4. UNI 390,586
                      5. BU 24,707
                      6. UE 0
                      7. DU -82,022
                      8. ISU(R) -201,555
                      9. SIU -424,663
                      10. ISU(B) -534,406

Comment

That's exactly what I was thinking, jdmee.

Margins are much higher for WSU than most of the Valley. But I was surprised at how well MSU is doing financially. Really? We'll see how they are doing in a few years when they have to increase Cuonzo's salary to keep the big boys at bay.
                        You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Look at WSU revenue $4,140,000

Avg ticket price $20
                          Tickets per game 10,000
                          Games per season 17
                          Total Gross $3,400,000

The other $740,000 is probably advertising, concession, MVC distributions.

This does not include the donations to SASO that are required to obtain the tickets. The Charter Guardian donation is $140 per game in my case, or $35 per ticket.
                          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                          ---------------------------------------
                          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

MSU's profit may largely be due to the fact they don't pay their men's coaches very well. They have a local Title IX activist who has been thorn in their side for the past decade plus.

Comment

Working...
                            X