Why is coach being all guard happy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is coach being all guard happy?

We're about to get 2, most likely 3 guards next year and a big man. Is he going to cut someone or something because aren't we going 1 over on the scholarships?

I doubt CGM knows that he is going to "cut" a current player right now. But you are correct he does seem to be going after a lot of guards: Hannah (6'0") Murry 6'3" and possibly Kyles (6'3"). If Kyles signs that would put us one over the limit and it seems there are other players out there that CGM is interested in.

I don't know enough about the dynamics of recruiting in college basketball to comment. What if all three guards and Stutz actually sign a letter of intent this week? How does that actually work when it clearly puts you over the limit? Do you think it adversely affects current scholarship players – in this case the guards? And why is he going after so many guards? The team will lose MB and PJ next year; however, they will still have Hawkins (2yrs), Mekel (2yrs), Preadom (1yr), Hatch (3yrs) along with Hannah (2yrs??) and Murry (4yrs).

Hawkins will be a good player, Mekel I'm sure will improve and Preadom is solid. Hatch is a question mark at the D-1 level but he has not had the chance to prove himself, yet. Based on Hannah performance in juco – it looks like he can step in and play PG. I have no idea about Murry but he will just be a freshman.

Gathering letters of intent over the limit is something I do not completely understand either.

Comment

It's not an uncommon practice. And considering after this year we don't really have a starting PG type I can see bringing in a couple of possibilities. Hannah may very well start there if Mekel can't figure out how to run it successfully. Murry is a CG and Kyles sounds like he could become a pretty good PG. I like having those two. If we're going to sign four I'm glad we got another guard as I think that is probably a need.

I'm not going to try and speculate on who I think will be gone. The popular guesses are Mekel, Butler, Hatch and even Durley. I like what all four of those guys can/could bring to the team over their careers.

The post looks like it could be pretty good for the next few years. We'd have Clemente for another year, the with Ehimen, Durley, Stutz and Butler we could be pretty effective.

Mantas should play mostly SF once we get healthy and when/if Ehimen gets here. Ellis is the SF of the future so there really isn't a need to get one this year. Next year I could see us going after another one.

Hawk will be a heck of a player for us. I like what I've seen. Time will tell with Hatch. Preadom is solid. Hannah is a JUCO and is a short term fix to a problem. Murry and Kyles could really do something here. Of the four recruits, assuming Kyles signs here, Kyles is my favorite pick up. I really like what this kid offers and what he may be able to do.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I think it's a bit premature to be worryin about being over the scholly limit...

it wasn't long ago that we were asking the same question for this year, look how that turned out

Comment

I would guess he is recruiting players because that's his job. He has no preconceived ideas about who can play and who cannot. He knows who might be leaving while we can only speculate.

Comment

Our former administration used to say, in times such as that which we may be facing, "the scholarship situation will work itself out."

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
              Our former administration used to say, in times such as that which we may be facing, "the scholarship situation will work itself out."
              You mean Marshall's going to leave and take all the recruits with him?!

Comment

There is also the possibility tha Gal decides not to return to play pro in europe.

Comment

Don't forget about "grayshirting".

Comment

Grayshirting no longer happens, does it? Now that the rules have changed?

Comment

I forgot about a gratshirt......That's an interesting idea if one of the recruits would be willing to do it.

I don't think the NCAA could get around that. What's to prevent a player from walking on his first year in order to get a 'ship for the next? If someone and his family would be willing to do that it'd be nice. Time will tell though.

Nick Rogers was a three year grayshirt :D
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Grayshirting was walking on first semester to get a 'ship the second semester to avoid the 5-8 rule or whatever it was. I don't think that rule still applies. Nick was a walk-on.

Comment

I had forgotten about the purpose of a grayshirt (5-8 rule). I was thinking the scholly, even if it puts you at 14 for the 2nd semester, would work. But now I'm doubting myself.

But as SubGod said, there's always the option of walking on for a year. I could see Stutz being open to that, in terms of finances since he was at private school. I don't know about the other guys.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                            It's not an uncommon practice. And considering after this year we don't really have a starting PG type I can see bringing in a couple of possibilities. Hannah may very well start there if Mekel can't figure out how to run it successfully. Murry is a CG and Kyles sounds like he could become a pretty good PG. I like having those two. If we're going to sign four I'm glad we got another guard as I think that is probably a need.

I'm not going to try and speculate on who I think will be gone. The popular guesses are Mekel, Butler, Hatch and even Durley. I like what all four of those guys can/could bring to the team over their careers.
                            I am not going to speculate about current players either.

I know the practice is not uncommon but I guess it just rubs me the wrong way. When a kid signs a letter of intent – I guess I view it like a contract: Provided the kid meets certain academic requirements, the university has promised a scholarship and in return the kid has promised to play basketball. If a kid signs a letter of intent, still wants to come but there is no scholarship – can the university unilaterally back out? I know the kid has to ask and be granted permission to be released from the commitment.

BTW – I agree with you that CGM needed to bring in some guards for next year. I am a big supporter of Mekel but he has to show he can run the offense. However, Hawkins will be very, very good and the team needs a player like Preadom. I also agree that we look good at the 3, for now, with MG and Ellis so he could wait a year to focus on that position. The 4 and 5 I am not sold on yet: (1) We still don't know if EO (assuming he shows) can play and the same goes for Stutz; and (2) I like Butler a lot but I admit I was surprised when CGM spoke so positively about the kid – this early. Butler also has a lot to prove if he is going to play the 4. On the positive side, I think Clemente will be solid and I think CGM is the type of coach that Durley needs. I think the frontcourt still has questions; however, I am optimistic.

Comment

Academic scholarship?

Comment

Working...
                              X