No announcement yet.

Why is coach being all guard happy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do know if we really want Mekel to run the team, he is much more effective as a SG. Preadom is there, but now, after last game when he threw the ball away so much, I am not so sure he is solid or not. I have doubts that Preadom will ever live up to his potential no matter how hard we all want him to.

Bret Michaels is a true PG, he's fast, handles the ball well, needs some seasoning, and I could see him getting some play. He seems to have pretty good court vision also.

Perhaps, if it is known that players have to 'earn' their scholarship on the court, it might motivate some of them more.

I think some of our players might be surprised a little this year when they find themselves on the bench for not playing hard or smart enough.

If Durley doesn't produce, he might be benched,and Burley might get some minutes, but hopefully JT will get it together on the D-1 level.

Comment

Coach made it sound like JT is doing fine. And is "getting" it.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie

I know the practice is not uncommon but I guess it just rubs me the wrong way. When a kid signs a letter of intent – I guess I view it like a contract: Provided the kid meets certain academic requirements, the university has promised a scholarship and in return the kid has promised to play basketball. If a kid signs a letter of intent, still wants to come but there is no scholarship – can the university unilaterally back out? I know the kid has to ask and be granted permission to be released from the commitment.
        If they can take away an academic scholarship for underperformance academically, why can't they take away an athletic scholarship for underperformance athletically?
        The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
          Academic scholarship?
          and/or Federal Financial Aid?

Comment

I know the practice is not uncommon but I guess it just rubs me the wrong way. When a kid signs a letter of intent – I guess I view it like a contract: Provided the kid meets certain academic requirements, the university has promised a scholarship and in return the kid has promised to play basketball. If a kid signs a letter of intent, still wants to come but there is no scholarship – can the university unilaterally back out? I know the kid has to ask and be granted permission to be released from the commitment.
            The letter of intent IS a contract, binding to both the university and the student, for one year.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl

If they can take away an academic scholarship for underperformance academically, why can't they take away an athletic scholarship for underperformance athletically?
              Under performing athletically can be very subjective, while academic performance is very objective.

I was really referring to the recruit not a player already on scholarship. There are situations were it is appropriate to revoke a student's scholarship – under performing athletically can take different forms – some worse than others.

However, I suppose you have two situations at work here so lets assume the following:

(1) A current scholarship player who has met all his athletic requirements, complies with all the rules related to basketball and is a model student athlete. However, the coaching staff doesn't think he is as good of a player as the some of the recruits they signed. The kid will be a junior and he wants to stay at WSU; and

(2) A high school kid that signed a letter of intent to play basketball at WSU this fall. He is one of a recruiting class of four players. However, WSU has only three open scholarships. No one leaves or wants to leave. It is now late spring and this kid want to plays for and get an education from WSU.

In situation #1, does WSU have a right to revoke this kids scholarship when he has done nothing wrong – they just see another incoming player as being able to make a stronger basketball contribution?

In situation #2, they recruited and signed too many players to protect against a current player leaving but that didn't happen. Can WSU simply back out?

I don't know the answers to the questions – that is why I am asking. However, when think about this I always come back to the fact that these players are 18-22 years old and are not professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog

The letter of intent IS a contract, binding to both the university and the student, for one year.
                That is what I thought. But if you enter into a contact with a kid for something that you may not be able to deliver – is that not illusory?

Comment

1. yes
                  2. not exactly

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
                    1. yes
                    2. not exactly
                    If the answer is yes to the first scenario then I assume a student athlete is treated like an employee at will. However, that just doesn't seem right considering the student upheld his end of the bargain and he is not an employee of the university.

As for the second, "not exactly" – sounds like no.

Comment

scholarship limit

I went back & reviewed this entire thread just now. It is more or less a repeat of other similar threads here over the past 2-3 mos. Somehow, you have all missed the point that came out several weeks ago that Graham Hatch is a walk-on. I also reviewed the WSU MBB roster on Go Shockers just now & it does not specificially say there that he is a walk-on, but it also doesn't say that for Brett Burley, Lance Harris & Bret Michael. With that said, WSU has 4 scholarships available for 08-09. not 3. Based on what we've seen so far, Graham Hatch looks like he may deserve a schollie by the end of this season. Thus, the roster we see on Go Shockers now shows only 12 scholarship players, not 13. OK? Comments?

Comment

Re: scholarship limit

Originally posted by xazshox
                        I went back & reviewed this entire thread just now. It is more or less a repeat of other similar threads here over the past 2-3 mos. Somehow, you have all missed the point that came out several weeks ago that Graham Hatch is a walk-on. I also reviewed the WSU MBB roster on Go Shockers just now & it does not specificially say there that he is a walk-on, but it also doesn't say that for Brett Burley, Lance Harris & Bret Michael. With that said, WSU has 4 scholarships available for 08-09. not 3. Based on what we've seen so far, Graham Hatch looks like he may deserve a schollie by the end of this season. Thus, the roster we see on Go Shockers now shows only 12 scholarship players, not 13. OK? Comments?
                        I don't recall Hatch being a walk-on......
                        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

You are entirely wrong Hatch is on scholorship. We now have 13 players on scholorship and 3 are seniors and we have signed 3. If kyles signs we are one offer. Last of conversation. Let things work out they always do

Comment

Sorry if this annoys people but I was curious about how all this really works.

Comment

I think the current players will have to "earn" their scholarship each year. It is obvious that certain players have earned their spots, and some are still trying. Mekel and Clemente are the only MT recruits that have already earned their scholarship for next year. Everyone else (WP, GH, JTD, AB) will have to prove themselves during practices/games this year if they want to be invited back. Some are closer than others.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

So as Charlie stated, and I completely overlooked, it is a one year deal – not two or four.

I suppose then – if they over sign and all the recruits want to come to WSU – then a current player regardless of their performance will be asked to leave. That's how things "work out".

Comment

Working...
                                X