2010 Memories from the Lou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Memories from the Lou

Share your favorite memory of this years MVC Tournament. Mine is a no-brainer:

Crieghton fans on Saturday morning...bags packed!!!

That picture just made me feel a lot better

Comment

Winner of the 2010 ShockerNet photo contest.

Nicely done.

--'85.
      Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

A ray of sunshine comes out on an otherwise gloomy day. :good:
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I couldn't make it to STL this season for the 1st time in several years, but just wanted to say you guys had a great run and although today didn't go your way theres nothing to hang your heads about. You will be in the postseason 1 way or another and we hope you make a big run no matter what.

As for STL...it may not be this year but if I could make a mention of 09 it would definately be watching a sizeable Shocker contingent rise to their feet & go berzerk the second my Redbirds ran out of the tunnel during the intros in the semis vs. CU last year. Then, as if that wasnt enough, the Shox fans continued to go nuts & cheer for the 'Birds ALL GAME LONG. That was very cool and I don't think many ISU fans will forget that for a long time. I know I wont.
          I am a diehard Illinois State Redbird fan first, and an MVC supporter, diplomat, and ambassador of good will second.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Phantom.

There literally is nothing about your fanbase that anybody could hate. You guys traveled really well as well and you supported your team greatly. I have never ran into a bad Redbird fan. Never. Every other fanbase in the Valley has some bad eggs or are a-holes. But Illinois State? Nope. Haven't encountered one.

I think it's a mutual respect thing between the two schools. It would be great to see both of us take over the Valley.

Good luck in the NIT as well.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I was able to spend some time with my father and brother for the first time in a very long time. I know those times are now fleeting, and the memories I will always treasure.

The fantastic play by both teams, on both ends, at the MSU game.

Garrett Stutz dropping Ricks like 3rd period French.

Watching Stutz and Williams develop into real players.

Seeing the pride in the eyes of the parents.

Coach Marshall at the pep rally.

My dad heckling an ISU fan who failed in his first attempt at an anti-Wichita sign (signs were big in his family.....unfortunately they were all bad). I will add that ALL the other ISU were polite, well informed and gracious at all times.

Comment

I'd say one of my funnier moments was getting into the elevator at my hotel...on the way down it picked up 4 older Bradley fans probably in their 60's or 70's. They looked at my shirt and one of the old ladies said "he looks friendly"...and her husband said "At least he's not an a*$hole Creighton fan". I told them that I thought Bradley fans didn't like ISU fans. They said yeah, but as of a couple years ago they had added CU fans to the list.

Comment

Two funny moments...

1) The InSU fox almost got into a fight with a drunk ISU fan after their game ended.
                  The irony was the ISU guy was about 6'5" 250 lbs and would have killed the varmint.
                  The fox wisely thought better and followed the cheerleaders into the tunnel.

2) We mostly sat with the Drake contingent.

Right before the Championship game started a 70 year young Drake lady in front of me made what I thought to be a non-complimentary comment about UNI fans.
                  I leaned forward to ask her opinion about UNI fans.
                  Her response - "They're nothing but a bunch of douche-bag, a$$holes."

We got along well with Drake fans. 8)
                  Above all, make the right call.

Comment

My top seven memories:

What a great turnout by the shocker nation! I heard we had 4000 plus.

The growth of D. Williams & G. Stutz.

G. Stutz blowing by Egghead and dunking with authority.

D. William hitting big shots all three games.

Toure's game on Saturday. He came to play.

Sitting right behind Cliff and watching the way he interacted with the fans. His speech at the Sunday pep rally was really great. Talking basketball with him during the crucial minutes of all the games. He was really into the games. He high fived all the surrounding fans after our two victories.

No Creighton fans on Sunday.

This was the best tournament yet. I can't wait until next year. :wsu_posters:

Comment

Seeing this teams growth!

Met a lot of cool people from all over the Valley Nation!

Not letting the Creighton dance team onto the elevator even though there was room.

Getting to hear the Mike Tyson impersonator give the students instructions before entering our section.
                      Bobby T

Comment

Top Thrills: (not really in any order)

1. The "coming of age" of Garrett Stutz and Demetric Williams. Much to look forward to in the future because these young players learned what they can do in big games against tough competition.

2. Seeing Toure Murry totally dominate Osiris. His defense was awesome and he played offense with aggressiveness and confidence.

3. Sitting across the aisle from Cliff Levingston. What a joy he was and we truly enjoyed talking with him, his daughter and his finacee. I shared my memory of the game when he was on a breakaway and just as he was going up for the dunk, a defender grabbed him and held him down. He swung around and knocked the defender on his butt then was headed after him when Antoine grabbed him and held him back. Cliff remembered the situation and got a great laugh from it. He said AC told him "don't get kicked out". One thing that only the fans close by saw was that when he won the trivia contest during the time out, he immediately handed the prize to his opponent. The opponent tried to give it back, but Cliff insisted that he keep it.

4. Any time we spent around Clevin Hannah. What a wonderful young man. Also, his family. We got acquainted in Carbondale last year and renewed some of that this year. A really classy family.

5. Coach Marshall's interactions with the fans. He is a joy to know.

6. Toure standing on the last step before getting off the bus and taking a picture of the fans lined up to greet the team at the hotel after the Saturday night win. He was fired up.

7. All the player's reactions to the fans coming off that bus. They were pumped.

8. Seeing no more than single digit Creighton shirts in all of St. Louis Saturday and Sunday. All the years we've gone, sometimes losing during the play in game, we have always stayed to support the tournament and can always see many Shocker fans throughout the weekend while when Creighton loses early, their fans completely disappear.

9. Constant great dealings with Illinois State fans. We have found them to be great year in and year out and have never had a bad experience with any of them. This year, while out to dinner after we beat them, some ISU fans spoke to us as they were leaving, then came back in and gave us their 4 front row, center court tickets complete with club passes and told us to enjoy and to beat UNI. It turned out that we chose to pass the tickets on (we kept the club passes) so we could continue sitting in the midst of Shocker fans where we belong, but truly appreciated their kindness.

10. The best thing is that the team fought with all they had and broke the curse. We finally made the championship game for the 1st time in St. Louis. I am certain it will not be the last.

Saddest moment: Seeing little Maggie crying her eyes out after the loss. She's a precious little girl.

Comment

The pep rallies were VERY well attended. Five years ago you could have swung a dead cat and not hit anyone at the pep rally. One particular play in the WSU/ISU game in front of the Shocker bench a ball is up for grabs and all I see is the bottom of GH's shoes as he is diving for the ball and just as he is trying to bring it in an ISU player and another Shocker diving over the top of Hatch. Nothing but ***holes and elbows on that particular play. Both teams played with a lot of heart. Another great memory is being able to walk around St. Louis and not have to look at a bunch of smug self rightous creighton fans. I thanked every Bradley fan I saw.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo
                            The pep rallies were VERY well attended. Five years ago you could have swung a dead cat and not hit anyone at the pep rally. One particular play in the WSU/ISU game in front of the Shocker bench a ball is up for grabs and all I see is the bottom of GH's shoes as he is diving for the ball and just as he is trying to bring it in an ISU player and another Shocker diving over the top of Hatch. Nothing but ***holes and elbows on that particular play. Both teams played with a lot of heart. Another great memory is being able to walk around St. Louis and not have to look at a bunch of smug self rightous creighton fans. I thanked every Bradley fan I saw.
                            Yes, the pep rallies were insane. I stopped by the one Friday night and it was so packed you couldn't even get in the door. I managed to squeeze in, but it was by far the largest pep rally I've ever seen from any Valley school in St Louis. As we started to clear out and head over to the game, a few Bradley fans started trickling in...they received a standing ovation.

Comment

You guys covered it really well. I don't know what Cliff Levingston does for a living, but he and his soon to be wife should be brought to Wichita and employed as a good will Ambassador for the University. He is that special. "Two dribbles and a ham sandwich" is my new all time favorite quote. The officiating against us was terrible, but was not as bad on Sunday. On Friday and Saturday it was unbelievable. I could have cost us the wins Friday and Saturday, but did not have a big influence on Sunday. We loved the pep rallies. Hell, 5 beers for $20. What's not to love! Gregg Marshall is a special guy and he needs a contract extension, just to show that we love him! I give props to Eric Sexton. This was his first big time show as AD and he handled it really well. He is a class act!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
                              "Two dribbles and a ham sandwich" ~ Gregg Marshall
                              Wichita State, a team long on grit, made everything it shot. ~ Normal, Ill. newspaper 2/19/13

Comment

Working...
                              X