No announcement yet.

Pitt State leading KSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand the hate towards K-Who or K-Suck? Just kidding, KU and KSU. We have no conference affiliation with them, we don't play each other on a regular enough basis to even be considered as in-state rivals in basketball, obviously football is a moot issue and although college baseball popularity is growing and we do play each other, the fan interest is not high enough to sprout high emotions.

WSU fans probably emotionally invest more in baseball than do our in-state brethern when we play each other, but KU and KSU fans have already forgotten the game a couple days after we met up. So the in-state rival feeling just isn't there in my opinion when it comes to baseball.

Sure, I get on KSU and KU's case from time-to-time. Has nothing to do with the universities, rather some of the funny and weird comments they make about WSU. Some of it is deserved because there are some truely horrible flamers here on Shockernet when it comes to bagging on KU/KSU.
    But the same goes for some of their posters as well.

I'm a resident of the State of Kansas. I see nothing wrong cheering for KSU/KU in any sport as long as it is not against us. What they do on the court/field does not impact WSU in any manner so what's the deal with giving them grief?

I visit their boards from time to time and will often stick up for WSU if I find something that has been written to be in error. Can't we all just get along?

Comment

Since it is shocker.net, I think it's ok to rib on K-State, KU, or whatever school that isn't WSU whenever we want..well on occasion anyways. I've been to both boards numerous times, and there's just as much hate for WSU there as there is for them here. So it works both ways..

BCSCat brought this to our attention:

Curious, how many WSU football players were at your basketball game?

A 5-5 Big XII football team still beats not having one at all.

And if you kept up with recruiting you would know KSU is no one year wonder like some mid-majors that make a Sweet Sixteen and then fade away to nothing the next year.
      It's stuff like this, lack of respect for whose board it is, that gives me little respect for them. I don't care what they say about us on THEIR boards, but when they can't take a little ribbing, and then post stuff like that here, on OUR board, with such arrogance, is where I think it crosses the line.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
        I don't understand the hate towards K-Who or K-Suck? Just kidding, KU and KSU. We have no conference affiliation with them, we don't play each other on a regular enough basis to even be considered as in-state rivals in basketball, obviously football is a moot issue and although college baseball popularity is growing and we do play each other, the fan interest is not high enough to sprout high emotions.

WSU fans probably emotionally invest more in baseball than do our in-state brethern when we play each other, but KU and KSU fans have already forgotten the game a couple days after we met up. So the in-state rival feeling just isn't there in my opinion when it comes to baseball.

Sure, I get on KSU and KU's case from time-to-time. Has nothing to do with the universities, rather some of the funny and weird comments they make about WSU. Some of it is deserved because there are some truely horrible flamers here on Shockernet when it comes to bagging on KU/KSU.

I'm a resident of the State of Kansas. I see nothing wrong cheering for KSU/KU in any sport as long as it is not against us. What they do on the court/field does not impact WSU in any manner so what's the deal with giving them grief?

I visit their boards from time to time and will often stick up for WSU if I find something that has been written to be in error. Can't we all just get along?
        no until they grow a sack and play us, i will not ever respect a those 2 programs.
        Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234
          Originally posted by KC Shox

no until they grow a sack and play us, i will not ever respect a those 2 programs.
          I'm not as bent out of shape for KSU or KU not playing us as I am with not being able to get other regional programs like OU, OSU, Tulsa, Oral Roberts, and NU to play us. I can understand a little bit the economic and recruiting considerations our in state brethern have as the reason for not playing us, but damn, it's really a darn shame we can't get at least Tulsa and ORU to revive the match-ups.

We can't continue to hold grudges against KU and KSU for not playing us. Heck, it's been so long with KU, I figure there is no difference between them and Duke as far as the possibility of ever getting them scheduled. KU is as distant in terms of scheduling them as the chance of getting games with UCONN, Duke, Kentucky etc.

As far as KSU, I'm not convinced yet that they have turned the corner in reviving their b-ball program. I'm banking on a 2-year wonder type program and once Walker and Beasely are gone, so is their turnaround. The question is, do we need to play K-State?

By the way, are you a Brodie Croyle fan? I think that guy is not the answer for KC, but's that's far another topic.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
            Since it is shocker.net, I think it's ok to rib on K-State, KU, or whatever school that isn't WSU whenever we want..well on occasion anyways. I've been to both boards numerous times, and there's just as much hate for WSU there as there is for them here. So it works both ways..

BCSCat brought this to our attention:

Curious, how many WSU football players were at your basketball game?

A 5-5 Big XII football team still beats not having one at all.

And if you kept up with recruiting you would know KSU is no one year wonder like some mid-majors that make a Sweet Sixteen and then fade away to nothing the next year.
            It's stuff like this, lack of respect for whose board it is, that gives me little respect for them. I don't care what they say about us on THEIR boards, but when they can't take a little ribbing, and then post stuff like that here, on OUR board, with such arrogance, is where I think it crosses the line.
            I'm not "ribbing."

I think it's sleazy for fans of a school - or a series of schools from the same conference - to condescend and flaunt their "alleged" superiority to fans of another school - or group of schools from another conference - while AT THE SAME TIME PURSUING AN UNWRITTEN POLICY OF SYSTEMATIC AVOIDANCE ON A LEVEL FIELD OF ATHLETIC BATTLE.

Comment

Originally posted by shox8498
              I'm not "ribbing."

I think it's sleazy for fans of a school - or a series of schools from the same conference - to condescend and flaunt their "alleged" superiority to fans of another school - or group of schools from another conference - while AT THE SAME TIME PURSUING AN UNWRITTEN POLICY OF SYSTEMATIC AVOIDANCE ON A LEVEL FIELD OF ATHLETIC BATTLE.
              Actually KSU and WSU play every year in all sports but bball. Last year KSU/WSU could have met in bball, unfortunately we didn't hold up our end of the bargain. Can anyone honestly say they know what is going on in the KSU/WSU bball scheduling? I think at this point its a bad situation for both schools to play. Both are trying to improve the teams and losing to the other wouldn't help. If WSU/KSU played and KSU lost the media would immediately jump on them for losing to a inferior conferance team. Because whether we like it or not that is the medias perception of us. If WSU loses they immediately lose any ability to say, see we are on the same level as the big boys. No, I don't think either side is wanting to play right now.

As was mentioned before it is rather easy to maintain a dual-fandom of KSU/WSU because they don't have the same conferance affiliation and WSU doensn't compete in the main sport at KSU.

Comment

I don't know, I have never understood the ingrained hatred some posters on here have for KU or KSU, it's like little boys playing my Daddy is bigger than your Daddy.

I am a 3 time Vietnam Veteran, and where I grew up, it was family first, your neighbors, your town, your state, and your country next. If you don't understand the 'bigger picture' then you need to get a grip on reality.

Maintaining 'petty, non important' grudges is not healthy for anyone.

Comment

The dislike (to put in mildly) that older WSU fans, especially, have toward KU has a history that I don't have the time to fully explain. My grandfather hated KU with an absolute and total passion – he never missed a moment to tease my brother-in-law – who is a KU grad.

I won't root for KU on any level at any time. For me it's not about having a grudge or being petty. While I do respect the accomplishments of the KU basketball program in the broader picture, I have always had issues with the KU fan. It is only on rare occasions that I have ever had an intelligent basketball discussion with a KU fan. And this doesn't just apply to discussion about KU vs. WSU basketball – it is the entire basketball world. The majority of KU fans believe that their basketball program is vastly superior, not only to WSU, but to Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky – you name it. When KU doesn't win a game – there is always is an "excuse" – KU never gets beat by a superior team they beat themselves, the opponent was lucky or it was the refs fault.

The level of arrogance (because that it exactly what it is) carries over to everything the university does – KU has best academics (in every discipline), the best facilities, etc. Talking to a KU basketball fan is like arguing with a religious zealot – useless.

It is, in part due, to this arrogance that I can't stand KU and will never "root" for them. For the record, I could care less if WSU ever plays them during the non-conference.

As for KSU, I am indifferent. If they do well – that's super. And I write off those KSU fans that mouth off because of the conference they happen to be associated with as ignorant young bucks. They simply don't know any better. Besides, I find it ironic that they occasionally get cocky because there has been no student support for that basketball program since Mitch Richmond left.

Comment

on a sad note, did you guys read in the paper where the PSU coach's son was found dead in his apartment? He was 28 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                      I don't know, I have never understood the ingrained hatred some posters on here have for KU or KSU, it's like little boys playing my Daddy is bigger than your Daddy.

I am a 3 time Vietnam Veteran, and where I grew up, it was family first, your neighbors, your town, your state, and your country next. If you don't understand the 'bigger picture' then you need to get a grip on reality.

Maintaining 'petty, non important' grudges is not healthy for anyone.
                      Just read up on the history of what KU and KSU (especially KU) has done in the board of regents to try to keep WSU from competing with them academically or how KU co-opted the Medical School here in Wichita that was supposed to be a joint effort between WSU and KU.

There are plenty of people whose dislike of the two schools goes a lot deeper than sports rivalry.
                      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                        Just read up on the history of what KU and KSU (especially KU) has done in the board of regents to try to keep WSU from competing with them academically or how KU co-opted the Medical School here in Wichita that was supposed to be a joint effort between WSU and KU.

There are plenty of people whose dislike of the two schools goes a lot deeper than sports rivalry.
                        TMH is right. It just goes onto the sports side, because that is what is most easily associated with a school. KU has tried to keep WSU a "Second Rate Institution" for a long time. And their alums up in Topeka at the capital building sure seem to try and help it too.

Comment

You are both correct – there is a long, long history and most younger fans probably are not aware of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
                            You are both correct – there is a long, long history and most younger fans probably are not aware of it.
                            I'm only 29, but have picked things up when I was in school at WSU and from my parents and others. Plus, not everything that the media says is incorrect either. The Wichita Media tends to tell it like it is when it comes to KU and it's alums trying to hold back WSU.

Comment

Working...
                            X