Pitt State leading KSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BCSCat
    Early season game on a beautiful day against a Div II team when the Chiefs were playing. All seats are sold for the season. 25% unused maybe but 100% sold and generating income. We were there but it's not always easy to drive that far on a Sunday. Only about a 5 hour round trip from DooDah and KC but a lot of season ticket holders live in western Kansas and don't make it to all the games. Totally different from the WSU situation with a small arena of only 10K in a town of around 500K.

Excuses? Maybe but that's the reality. Even in the glory years of Gardner, Winters, Hartman, et al Ahearn was not always full. The tickets were all sold but not everyone made it. Hell Allen Field House had empty seats the other night.

Sorry to say but WSU is not the big story in our state this year. A fine Kansas team and resurgent Kansas State are what everyone outside of a 60 mile radius of Wichita is interested in. You all had your 15 minutes two years ago.
    And yet, here you are on the WSU board!
    The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock
      Classic.

Comment

Sorry to say but WSU is not the big story in our state this year.
        When the alleged "Big story" goes away, this knucklehead will go away too. Only a matter of time.

Comment

At least WSU's 15 minutes was 2 years ago. I'm afraid with KSU, you must put a "1" with that "2".

Comment

Early season game on a beautiful day against a Div II team when the Chiefs were playing. All seats are sold for the season. 25% unused maybe but 100% sold and generating income. We were there but it's not always easy to drive that far on a Sunday. Only about a 5 hour round trip from DooDah and KC but a lot of season ticket holders live in western Kansas and don't make it to all the games. Totally different from the WSU situation with a small arena of only 10K in a town of around 500K.

Excuses? Maybe but that's the reality. Even in the glory years of Gardner, Winters, Hartman, et al Ahearn was not always full. The tickets were all sold but not everyone made it. Hell Allen Field House had empty seats the other night.

Sorry to say but WSU is not the big story in our state this year. A fine Kansas team and resurgent Kansas State are what everyone outside of a 60 mile radius of Wichita is interested in. You all had your 15 minutes two years ago.

With regards to WSU

"The best is yet to come" Frank Sinatra

We intend to turn our 15 mins into "the futures so bright, gotta wear shades"

:wsu_posters: 8) 8) 8) 8) :wsu_posters: :wsu_posters:
            I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Alright, I'm still trying to figure out why anytime a KSU fan comes on here this immediately becomes a bash KSU board. And before anyone says they start it I want everyone to go back and read this forum because BCSCat definately did not start this one, he simply made a post on the game.

Also to the person who made the comment on Walker and his injuries calling him a wuss. You do realize that his injury last year was an ACL tear. Not a partial a complete tear, you don't play any sport without an ACL. There have been plenty of Shocker athletes who have had their season ended by an ACL tear. This year Walker has sat in games against Sacramento St. and Pittsburg St. Don't you think it might be possible that he would have played had they been playing somebody from say the top 20 leagues in the country?

And a final note on this thread. I think its been proven time and time again that just because when one team plays someone the score is one way and when another team plays them the score is another way it doesn't mean squat. How many times could you put an D-II/III/NAIA school down as the national champ because they beat someone who beat someone who beat someone else and so on?

I for one hope the state of Kansas can return to being a basketball power, the whole state. KU is good year in and year out, WSU has an exciting new coach that I think can take us to a Gonzaga level, if not higher considering the whole conference is better than the WCC, and KSU has possibly the best freshman in the country. He may be one and done, but having your team on ESPN every few nights can help on down the road.

I am very excited about this years for the state. As far as my predictions for the season go. KU will draw a 1/2 seed and probably make the Sweet 16 possibly a Final 4, however I really don't see them playing for the title. I think KSU will also make the tournament, probably as a 5/6, win a game over a weekling before getting taken out by someone in the second round due to their inexperiance. WSU I see starting out a little slow, being somewhat up and down at first. By the end of the season (especially if the Nigerian gets here) I see us playing as well as anyone in the Valley. Unfortunately I think the selection committee will feel our overall resume isn't strong enough, relegate us to the NIT, and we will knock off a couple of big name schools there setting the table for an exciting 08-09.

Comment

Agreed, I just like keeping the Dalonte HillCats a little humble prior to their National Championship run. They certainly wouldn't hesitate in telling WSU fans how humble they need to be.

Comment

I’m guessing by your post count you haven’t been here very long. K-State fans simply have no respect for anything WSU related (athletics or academics) or anything outside their BCS vacuum. They’ve already labeled our Sweet 16 a fluke and will tell you that MT left a sinking ship just as Ricky Martin and his GREATCOAT will take the nation by storm. And after GREATCOAT leaves for a paycheck Ricky Martin and his AAU wonderling will just keep reloading. And if you don’t know what GREATCOAT is you’ve just confirmed my first statement in this post. Plus K-State fans are absolutely horrible when it comes to supporting their team by actually attending games. They’ve got a prepared list of excuses a mile long as to why they can’t pack the house.

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock
                    Hahahaa.. :clap: Owned.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by shox8498
                      I know you all are WSU fans but if you get a chance to see Beasley, especially in person, you should. He is an amazing athlete with skills way beyond his years.
                      Maybe you should tell that to the 4,000 empty seats at the Bramlage Barn.

If I'm not mistaken, that represents 25% unused capacity.
                      Actually it's 33% empty. 12000 seats in the place.

Beasley is good, but if he goes down, KSU is right back where they were about 4 years ago. The rest can only do so much, seeing as how Beasley has pretty much done everything up to this point.

Comment

Curious, how many WSU football players were at your basketball game?

A 5-5 Big XII football team still beats not having one at all.

And if you kept up with recruiting you would know KSU is no one year wonder like some mid-majors that make a Sweet Sixteen and then fade away to nothing the next year.
                        5-5? don't you mean 5-6???
                        Oh, wait, it's not Sunday yet...

Go Tigers.
                        I had season FOOTBALL tix... did you?

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu
                          I’m guessing by your post count you haven’t been here very long. K-State fans simply have no respect for anything WSU related (athletics or academics) or anything outside their BCS vacuum. They’ve already labeled our Sweet 16 a fluke and will tell you that MT left a sinking ship just as Ricky Martin and his GREATCOAT will take the nation by storm. And after GREATCOAT leaves for a paycheck Ricky Martin and his AAU wonderling will just keep reloading. And if you don’t know what GREATCOAT is you’ve just confirmed my first statement in this post. Plus K-State fans are absolutely horrible when it comes to supporting their team by actually attending games. They’ve got a prepared list of excuses a mile long as to why they can’t pack the house.
                          It's GRCOAT. :)

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu
                            Actually I have a low post count because I rarely post unless I really feel like posting which is very rare. To imply that all KSU fans have no respect for WSU is simply ridiculous. I come from a family that bleeds purple and most of them have taken me up on my offer to come attend WSU events. Many of them now own WSU articles of clothing that they wear. My dad, who is about as hardcore of a KSU fan as they come now flies a WSU banner on bball days. I have been a student at both schools and my friends from KSU are almost all respectful of the WSU programs. Now did most of my family and friends dislike Turg? Yes. Was that because he coached WSU? NO! It was because he played at KU. Almost all the KSU fans I know would love to see KSU/WSU series in all sports on a consistant basis.

Also, if you want to question where my loyalties are, I try to attend as many KSU/WSU baseball games as I possibly can, both here in Wichita and up in Manhattan, and every time I wear the black and gold.

Btw, a majority of KSU fans know that Beasley is most likely a one-and-done. They also know Walker is most likely only going to be around one or two year. They also know that Martin has no college head coaching experiance. However, there were other players in this years freshmen class that probably will be around for a few years that could be very good players. KSU has also been in on some high profile recruits lately, something that prior to last year hasn't happened in years. If you sit back and look at things you can always find something to wonder and question. WSU has plenty of there own question marks, no need to point out other peoples.

As far as supporting the team goes. I think KSU fans that make excuses have some pretty legitimate points. Poll the crowd at the next WSU bball game and Im sure you'd find that almost everyone there drove 50 miles or less to get to that game. Poll the crowd at a KSU game and you'd probably find that nearly half (not counting the students) had to drive around 2 hours or more. KSU fans support their teams, trust me. Look at the number of KSU fans that go to bowl games, watch an important game for the basketball team (btw I saw a lot of empty seats for WSU/UAPB, so we don't have a lot of room to talk on that one), I've even seen Bramlage filled to capacity for WBB. When was the last WSU WBB game that even came close to filling the stands?

To wrap up this rant I just want to say that maybe WSU fans should be worrying about our own team getting back to the top of the MVC before we start ripping into KSU. This whole thread didn't start as a respectful thread towards KSU and as soon as anyone with KSU ties has tried to add anything everyone on here seems to try and rip them apart I really don't think any comments need to be made about KSU fans not being respectful to WSU. And finally, next time before you try and make judgements on someone because of the number of posts they have on a message board maybe you should actually find out something about them before you do.

Alright, I'm done...now that I've admitted a fondness for KSU go ahead and rip me, that seems like the thing to do around these parts :D

Comment

Thank you

Thank you Rockemschockem. You may have actually (emphasis on "may") have changed my perception of WSU fans.

When we moved to the Wichita area 22 years ago from Kansas City I really had little or no opinion on WSU fans. I did have a negative opinion about WSU track and field based on the sleazy way I was recruited by that program out of high school but didn't really care one way or the other about the fans. 22 years of hearing comments like those above have served to cause a negative opinion and hopefully your post will help change that.

But I doubt it :D

Comment

What I've come to believe is that the collective attitude of fans on message boards (leaving the fringe out, particularly when they've been provoked by a hostile guest) is the best assessment of how they truly feel, even if they wouldn't admit it.

Face-to-face encounters are likely not a true representation due to most people's desire to maintain civility and appear objective in the "real world".

And it is that belief that cured me of my dual fandom of WSU and KSU. My original internet screen name was "ShockerCat" (I grew up a KSU fan in a mostly WSU/KU/KSU nuetral household). Now I'm a die-hard, yellow bleeding, biased WSU fan!

I think rockem's personal experience is the exception. Though I also think that those with true dual fandom are much more likely to be honestly objective.

What I find most interesting is how we often accuse opposing fans of the same things we are guilty of - bias toward our school. That's one area where we ought to be able to undertand one another. Let's face it, neither side is going to be objective.

But just remember that when you're in someone else's house, act like a gracious guest, as though you're having one of those real world face-to-face" civil discussions. And expect your hosts to display their natural bias!

Comment

Working...
                                X