National Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Championship

Does anyone else have the feeling that Marshall will take the Shox to a National Championship within the next 5-10 years?

Re: National Championship

Originally posted by melcong4
    Does anyone else have the feeling that Marshall will take the Shox to a National Championship within the next 5-10 years?
    I'm as excited and optimistic as anyone....but no.
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Ask again after we get at least two top-50 players on the same roster.

Now, had you said Elite 8, I might say yes.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock

Yeah, let's start out a little more realistic :)
        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock

Hey, once you get to the Tourny, anything can happen. EX. George Mason

Comment

And they didn't make it to the championship game either, let alone be national champs.

Comment

I heard last week on one of the radio stations....that we must remember that GM is an excellent tournament coach. I really think we might have a chance to win everything down the road. Of course, he has to RELOAD the program - - but then after that, I think the sky is the limit.

Comment

:yahoo:

Comment

I don't expect a National Championship or a Final Four by any means, but I don't see why it would be 100% out of the question. I expect to see teams good enough to make the NCAA Tourney on a somewhat consistent basis and possibly good enough for a Sweet 16, or maybe even an Elite Eight run. Why can't WSU players play the games of their lives 3-4 games in a row, while the teams they're facing play terrible?

Comment

I would like to first set our sights on being annual contenders for MVC Championships, both regular and tournament.

Once we accomplish that than perhaps we can adjust our sights upwards.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

I do believe that Gregg Marshall is a man who could coach a team to win a national championship. The question is, can Coach Marshall recruit the type of players HERE that could win a national championship. It's all about recruiting. Can Wichita State become a desirable place for "lottery-pick" type talent? Can Coach Marshall get those kind of players to come here?

If there are 50 top recruits in the country, and you're not getting any of them, someone else IS getting them. Name the last team that won a national championship without any "lottery pick" type players. Now name the last "lottery pick" player that Wichita State had. Xavier McDaniel led the ENTIRE COUNTRY in points and rebounding in his senior year here. Get us some more players like that, and then we can talk about national championships.

Comment

I think we all know one top recruit that would definatly help us....

Comment

I'd venture that most folks outside the lil' apple would consider Gregg Marshall to be the superior coach over Frank Martin. In this first year there's little chance Gregg would beat Frank's team. Currently the talent gap is too wide for Gregg's superior coaching skills to make up the difference.

Now give the man a little time to cultivate the players in the pipeline. I believe he's going to do a fine job narrowing the talent gap to the point it's apparent he can coach circles around the Frank Martins of the world.

What I'm trying to say is talent will ultimately determine the ceiling for WSU basketball. Gregg has proven he's a great coach but that is only part of the equation. The question ultimately becomes "what level of talent can he bring to Wichita?" and I would say early indicators are promising.

Comment

There's a lot of great coachs that never won a NC. I takes a great coach, great players and there's usually some lucky bounces too. I'm a tremendous fan of GM, but we're so far from talking about that. I think GM has the ability to possibly be in time the best coach WSU has had, but I know even that is premature. Lute Olson has taken the Cats to the Dance for something like 28 straight years, 4 final fours, countless sweet sixteens and still only one NC. Those last 5 or 6 games are against good teams that are on a roll. One off night by one of your best players and you're out.

Comment

The elite teams have the problem of holding on to players for all four years. That makes it much more probable for a team like WSU to surprise everybody with a National Championship. I'd say after three years it's possible but winning the NCAA is always a long shot for almost everybody.
                              In the fast lane

Comment

Working...
                              X