No announcement yet.

National Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes its possible! Unlikely though. Wel wil get good recruits, eventually make the tourney and hopefully have some good runs. But you must get lucky with seeding and be playing at your peek. It will be gun to see our future unfold! :posterwsu: :( :( :(
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Yes, it is entirely possible. Look at the recruits that CGM has got for us already, beyond what I think MT would have gotten. CGM doesn't put limits
      on his expectations, and his actions show it.

He is doing his job, and it will show up in the future, but it does take some time to reach milestones. This is a 'work around' year for the coach, in that some players were already solid in the program, and the new players he brought in. His system and players need time to gel, but I have faith in the Coach, and I don't think he will settle for being 'middle of the road'.

He took at 7-21 team, and went 21-8 his first year at Winthrop will mostly the same players, that there is a testament to his coaching abilities.

I have no doubts about us making the Big Dance, within 1-3 years, and I can envision as Sweet 16 without much trouble, and maybe a Final Four, after that, well we will just have to see. How many of you thought before the season was over, that our previous team that made the Sweet 16 would do that? That game against Tennessee was postively electrifying, and a great finish. I see more games like that in our future.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
        I can envision as Sweet 16 without much trouble, and maybe a Final Four, after that, well we will just have to see.
        No sweat just be sure to order an Easy Button from Santa. :yahoo:

Comment

If either of the big men can play, we might have a shot at S16.

While it would be teriffic to achieve better, it is not a realistic expectation for me. Maybe for others, just not for me.

Comment

Re: National Championship

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
            Originally posted by KC Shox
            Originally posted by melcong4
            Does anyone else have the feeling that Marshall will take the Shox to a National Championship within the next 5-10 years?
            Does anyone else have the feeling that this guy must have been smoking crack when he posted this topic? First, GM won't be here for more than 5 years (assumming his plan works out, makes this team a consistent 20 game winner every year and makes the NCAA Tourney as well).

If his plan works, BCS programs will be a callin'. Lastly and more important, no matter how well we do, WSU will never be able to recruit the 4/5 star atheletes National Champion Teams do.
            This post wasn't necessary. You are not a real Shocker fan (and have no grasp of Shocker history) to let these words cross your lips.

T

...8)
            Oh my goodness. Don't question my loyalty to Shocker athletics please. You can call me every name under the sun, but don't go there. I am a proud graduate of WSU. My wife is a proud graduate and also works for the university. I'm free to express my opinion. If my opinion struck a nerve or what probably took place, slapped you in the face and woke you up from your Shocker Homerism trance, then so be it.

I think your the one smokin crack!

Comment

[quote="WuShockFan"]I do believe that Gregg Marshall is a man who could coach a team to win a national championship. The question is, can Coach Marshall recruit the type of players HERE that could win a national championship. It's all about recruiting. Can Wichita State become a desirable place for "lottery-pick" type talent? Can Coach Marshall get those kind of players to come here?

Did our previous coach post this?

Comment

If you want to play the Coulda-Woulda-Shoulda game - Consider that if the 1982 Shocks weren't on probation, we would have had three future NBA players on that squad. Certainly plenty of experience and talent to have gone all the way.

Does GM as a coach and Wichita State as once again a fledgling basketball power, TODAY, possess the overall experience and respectability to attract the talent needed to get close to or to the national championship game?

Of course not. But with sustained success and longevity at WSU (5-10 years), GM is young enough and has proven he is talented enough to build and maintain the Shockers as a major basketball power. Once that happens, he'll get his fair share of top recruits. From there on he will need to make his own luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                  Originally posted by WuShockFan
                  I do believe that Gregg Marshall is a man who could coach a team to win a national championship. The question is, can Coach Marshall recruit the type of players HERE that could win a national championship. It's all about recruiting. Can Wichita State become a desirable place for "lottery-pick" type talent? Can Coach Marshall get those kind of players to come here?

If there are 50 top recruits in the country, and you're not getting any of them, someone else IS getting them. Name the last team that won a national championship without any "lottery pick" type players. Now name the last "lottery pick" player that Wichita State had. Xavier McDaniel led the ENTIRE COUNTRY in points and rebounding in his senior year here. Get us some more players like that, and then we can talk about national championships.
                  Maryland in 2003/04 didn't have any McDonald's all-americans. To my knowledge they had/have just 2 players to make it in the NBA, Steve Blake and Juan Dixon, neither of which was a lottery pick. But they are the exception.

lonnie baxter and chris wilcox. I think one plays for the Oklahoma City Sonics..or Seattle for a little longer. The other one is in jail now on a gun charge but he played too.

Comment

Anything is possible but I would go with No.. it's not realistic.

And I share the opinion that it's very possible Marshall may not even be here in 5 yrs if he wins. People need to stop getting attached... this is about business now days. You can't blame guys anymore now days if they leave for better oppurtunities and more $... WSU is a great school but some people need to wake up and realize this isn't a "BCS powerhouse" and very likely never will be

If Marshall takes us to 3-4 NCAA's in the next 5 years and leaves I will wish him well.

Comment

A long, long time ago some suggested that he intended for the WSU baseball program to contend for a national title. People thought that fellow was a little crazy too. As for basketball, WSU is not and will never be classified as a BCS school. Does that mean the program can never compete for a national championship? Of course not.

If CGM wants to say he is here to win a national championship – more power to him. If CGM can convince recruits that a national championship is his vision for the program and convince them to sign on – super. But winning the NCAA tournament is extremely difficult. In my opinion, it is one of the most difficult championships to win in all of sports.

Do I have a feeling that CGM is going to win it all in 5 years or so? Not right now. I'll tell you what I feel about CGM: (1) He seems to have a lot of energy and by all accounts is an engaging person. So I have a feeling that CGM might be able to land a player that Turgeon may not have (I think Turgeon had a little inferiority complex); (2) he did a good job filling holes with recruits this year -- especially jumping on Ellis after he failed to qualify at South Carolina; (3) I really like the type of players he is recruiting; and (4) he has shown himself to be a good game coach while at Winthrop.

Do I think about WSU winning a national championship under CGM? Not at all – at this point I just want to see what his teams do on the court.

Comment

Anything is possible. Isn't the seven-footer with range (a la Keith Van Horn) taken care of?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

I agree that while a long shot at this point (who isn't it a long shot for anyway?) a national championship isn't impossible. Personally I just think it's cool that our coach instills so much enthusiasm from the fan base.

Probably a more 'realistic' yet challenging goal would be to try and follow the Gonzaga blueprint... if I'm not mistaken, they've become a regular contender, and their recruiting has probably been boosted too. If WSU could reach that level of success, I think our recruiting deficit to larger 'BCS' schools would be narrowed. HCGM seems to be the coach that could get us there.

Not knowing a lot about Gonzaga's history, I assume they were pretty unknown 10-15 years ago, or have they had a tradition for longer than that??? Am I alone in thinking a 'new Gonzaga' could indeed be established here with our coach?

Comment

Originally posted by shockar25
                            I agree that while a long shot at this point (who isn't it a long shot for anyway?) a national championship isn't impossible. Personally I just think it's cool that our coach instills so much enthusiasm from the fan base.

Probably a more 'realistic' yet challenging goal would be to try and follow the Gonzaga blueprint... if I'm not mistaken, they've become a regular contender, and their recruiting has probably been boosted too. If WSU could reach that level of success, I think our recruiting deficit to larger 'BCS' schools would be narrowed. HCGM seems to be the coach that could get us there.

Not knowing a lot about Gonzaga's history, I assume they were pretty unknown 10-15 years ago, or have they had a tradition for longer than that??? Am I alone in thinking a 'new Gonzaga' could indeed be established here with our coach?

Known for john Stockton!
                            I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I haven't really read through the thread but there is no way in hell that we are winning a national championship. I mean, no way in the nicest of hells.

The way I look at it is, if we get in the NCAA tourney, the rest is gravy, house money. I love the shockers but we have to admit, we aren't a real major, we don't get the best recruits. Gregg Marshall is here to do a great job and move on, these are the facts. What Turgeon did in 05-06 is as good as it gets...... buuut, that year was GREAT. A sweet 16 is great for us, you have to be willing to accept that that is as good as it gets, if you don't you're delusional.

At best, the very best we can become is Gonzaga, and they hit BIG on Morrison, Stepp, Turiaf, Heytvelt, Dickau, etc. yet didn't reach a final 4. I just don't see us getting that far, let alone recruiting guys as good as them, there is just no way. It would be like getting 12 Cousinards on our team. Not happening.

Also, the guy that started this thread is a troll. Thanks for making me talk bad about my favorite team.

Comment

To add to what I said, you want to get coaches in here that do a kick ass job and move on. I'm praying to God that HCGM is built in the mold of Mark Few and wants to truely build something here, that would be great but odds are if Marshall shows himself to be a stud then he's the next coach of Missouri. Then we hope the next guy we hire is the next up and comer, it's not a bad thing to be a springboard to the BCS as long as WSU keeps KTFO of the hires. Beggs is 1 for 1 so far, and I have a feeling it will be 2 fer 2 before long.

Enjoy the ride.

Comment

Working...
                                X