Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to those kids from Geroge Mason's Final 4 run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to those kids from Geroge Mason's Final 4 run?

Didn't they fall on hard times afterwards?

I believe they're expected to finish at or near the top of the CAA this season.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I meant will thomas, and everyone else? what happened to them after attending GM?

Comment

I believe Campbell went to Europe. Not sure about the others.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I think thomas is still on the team this year isnt he?

Comment

yep he is and so is campbell.

Comment

Jai Lewis tried to play football, and I don't kow what happened to Skin (probably in prison) or the others.

Comment

Last year FoxSports.com had an article about what the seniors from that team were up to. It was pretty negative. Talking about how these kids made the school and Laranaga a lot of money while they got nothing pretty much. Skinn was playing in Europe and I don't remember what anyone else is up to. Wish I still had a link to that article...

Comment

I wasn't sure if it was Campbell or not. He's the one I remember and thought was a pretty good player. Him and Lewis. I think Lewis got a tryout with the Giants at one point.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker4Life
                    Last year FoxSports.com had an article about what the seniors from that team were up to. It was pretty negative. Talking about how these kids made the school and Laranaga a lot of money while they got nothing pretty much. Skinn was playing in Europe and I don't remember what anyone else is up to. Wish I still had a link to that article...
                    I didn't see that that article. Do you mean the one on Yahoo Sports on Skinn, Butler and Lewis?

Interesting article. Real life is tough, especially coming off the Final Four when you beat NBA-bound players.

I'm not sure what anyone would think they were supposed to get, other than an education. I thought, for better or worse, that's how college athletics works. The system isn't fair, but that's how it is.

A year ago, George Mason made a stunning Final Four run. Three star players have found fame fleeting and fortune lacking.

Summary:

Tony Skinn went to France to play but it didn't work out. He got with the Orlando Magic for summer league play. Not sure where here is now.

Jai Lewis did get a tryout with the NY Giants. He is currently playing hoops in Israel.

Lamar Butler played in the Czech Republic. I don't know where he is right now, either.

Personally, I think that, at a minimum, college athletes should have a deal where they can have free tuition and board for a couple years after their eligibility runs out or until they graduate. I think it's the least the NCAA can do for these kids who generate many millions of dollars for the schools and TV networks.

Comment

I totally agree about giving them free tuition and room and board for a couple of years to get their degree.

Comment

Originally posted by GarH
                        I totally agree about giving them free tuition and room and board for a couple of years to get their degree.
                        Then you'll be right back to the larger schools having a built-in recruiting advantage. Smaller schools won't be able to afford the extra years of scholarships. If they do it for basketball, they'll have to do it for all sports.

Comment

If a player can't graduate in 4-5 years then why extend the payroll? Also if a player leaves school early then that is on them and they forgo the benefits of a free scholarship. We act like these kids are being abused when most of us would give our left nut to have a full ride on a D1 scholarship.

Comment

Originally posted by GoGMU
                            Originally posted by Shocker4Life
                            I didn't see that that article. Do you mean the one on Yahoo Sports on Skinn, Butler and Lewis?

Interesting article. Real life is tough, especially coming off the Final Four when you beat NBA-bound players.

I'm not sure what anyone would think they were supposed to get, other than an education. I thought, for better or worse, that's how college athletics works. The system isn't fair, but that's how it is.

A year ago, George Mason made a stunning Final Four run. Three star players have found fame fleeting and fortune lacking.

Summary:

Tony Skinn went to France to play but it didn't work out. He got with the Orlando Magic for summer league play. Not sure where here is now.

Jai Lewis did get a tryout with the NY Giants. He is currently playing hoops in Israel.

Lamar Butler played in the Czech Republic. I don't know where he is right now, either.

Personally, I think that, at a minimum, college athletes should have a deal where they can have free tuition and board for a couple years after their eligibility runs out or until they graduate. I think it's the least the NCAA can do for these kids who generate many millions of dollars for the schools and TV networks.
                            yep that's the one. foxsports, yahoo sports... same thing right?

Comment

Very valid point RoyalShock about having to do it for the other sports. I hadn't considered that.

Comment

Working...
                              X