Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to those kids from Geroge Mason's Final 4 run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RoyalShock
    Originally posted by GarH
    I totally agree about giving them free tuition and room and board for a couple of years to get their degree.
    Then you'll be right back to the larger schools having a built-in recruiting advantage. Smaller schools won't be able to afford the extra years of scholarships. If they do it for basketball, they'll have to do it for all sports.
    Good points.

I admit I haven't thought through all of the ramifications of such a proposal, but it just seems wrong that, in many schools (particularly big schools), they do the bare minimum to keep revenue-producing (hoops and football) athletes eligible and when the eligibilty runs out these often young and immature athletes who dream of the NBA and NFL are 40 credits short of a degree with no idea how to finish.

Maybe my proposal isn't the answer, but unlike most college sports, much money is made on these kids and it seems there has to be a way to at least help get them their degrees (for those who are motivated to do it).

I know life ain't fair, but maybe in this area something could be done.

I'll get off my soapbox now. :)

Go get 'em this season, Shocks! :goshocks:

Comment

I think the answer is that a full-ride scholarship is tied to the credit hours required to obtain a 4-year equivalent degree.

If a player wastes his credit hours on "general studies" courses instead of a degree program, that's his or her own fault.

If a player was working toward the degree, but was 12 hours short after his 4 years, then he should be able to redeem those hours after his eligibility is up.

This type of plan would require schools and players to be more judicial in issuing redshirts or transferring. But I'm sure reasonable modifications could be made to accomodate these occurrences.

Comment

RS, always the voice of sane reason.

Comment

Ben Uzoh is doing fine at Tulsa.

Comment

Working...
          X