No announcement yet.

Hutchinson and Butler JuCo recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DW would have to have some kind of finish to the year I think to not go after another PG...but honestly hes made some nice strides the last few games....
    1/16/2010 on the "Screw at the Q" HCGM... " Ive never seen a foul parade like that...If you would of let me know it was going to be a foul parade I would of brought a different team" .... "dont talk to me about fouls....Ive got to go back and look at some tape... I have some thoughts but I need to look at the tape and then I will have something very strong to say"

Comment

The more I watch this team the more I think it needs a SG that can actually, well, shoot, almost as much as it needs a PG.

Murry's game is starting to resemble that of a slightly less explosive version of PJ Cousinard, a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none type of player. He handles the ball decent, shoots OK, passes and defends well, turns the ball over a bit much, and has some ability to get to the basket.

Right now, the 3-pt shooting abilities of Hannah, Hatch and to a lesser extent Durley, are covering up Murry's shooting from that position. Without Hannah next year, I'm concerned about games where we struggle to establish an inside presence.

I'm not sure there is a short-term solution, as I'm not convinced Hatch is consistent enough to be effective as a 2-guard and Richardson isn't likely to be ready to shoulder that burden for what we hope is a MVC-champion team next year. Williams could possibly be good there but that means moving Murry to PG and dealing with his turnovers.

No matter who we bring in next year, I still see an exploitable weakness.

Comment

Good post as always Royal.
        We need some shooters. I think the loss of Hannah's shooting ability hurts almost as badly as the loss of his ability to run the team on offense.

Comment

agreed

Comment

Ellis started out the year by being able to hit the 10-12 foot jumper and I thought that that was the component we were missing the year before. As the season has progressed his little jump shot has disappeared and we struggle to score in many instances. We need someone that can shoot the 3 as well as the intermediate jumper.

Comment

I believe Cousins would be a worth replacement for Hannah. Murry will step it up next year. He is going to be MVC MVP. DM will be a great guard year after next. He is doing just fine for a freshman!

Isn't it nice to be at a school where you can mostly count on having the kids around for four years? It's a real plus for coaches too, one more reason GM is not going to leave anytime soon!
              "Two dribbles and a ham sandwich" ~ Gregg Marshall
              Wichita State, a team long on grit, made everything it shot. ~ Normal, Ill. newspaper 2/19/13

Comment

GM was at last years Hutch @ El Dorado game if my memory serves me right. Plus he attends the national tournament in Hutch.

Comment

Paging ICT316..
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

We DO need a SG that can shoot, as was pointed out by Royal. I am hoping Hatch, Murry, and Kyles make strides in that category. They only need to hit one more out of every ten (maybe two) in order to be considered good 3 point shooters. Also, Richardson is said to be able to shoot, so hopefully he'll step up and contribute. In the end, a PG that can provide 25 minutes per game and be a floor general is what this team needs.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Can anyone think of some of the top players that have come out of Butler or Hutch the last 5 years or so that have gone on to have a successful playing career at a high calibre school? Of these individuals, did we try to recruit any of them?

Does anyone else think we really need to work on/step up our recruiting efforts with these schools? It seems to me a shame to have such convenient, quality talent nearby and not be taking advantage of it....

It would certainly be nice if we could do more "green recruiting"...(i.e. no plane trips necessary!) :good:
                      KU fans are the most arrogant while KSU fans are the most delusional. ~BostonWu
                      Criticizing this team is like criticizing one of Jerry's kids. ~DaShox

Comment

The Jayhawk Juco conference does not have the quality D1 talent currently that it had ten years ago. New rules, one and done, and prep schools have all contributed to this. This year is an exception and I hope the Shox are in the mix for one of the good players. I think Cousins from Butler has good D1 potential as a replacement for Hannah.
                        :yahoo:
                        "Two dribbles and a ham sandwich" ~ Gregg Marshall
                        Wichita State, a team long on grit, made everything it shot. ~ Normal, Ill. newspaper 2/19/13

Comment

I attended the Hutch v. Barton game Wednesday night. Though I've attended several games since I attended Hutch back in 89-90, I was amazed at the drop in level of play since then. Prep schools have siphoned off much of the high-level juco talent. They are also smaller, playing with 6'7" to 6'8" centers and 6'5" to 6'6" PFs. Much like a D2 team.

That said, I wasn't overly impressed with anyone on the court, and Hutch is currently ranked 12th. They do have a FR shooting guard named Dylan Frantz from Phillipsburg who had a nice game and is coming on strong. 6'6" freshman F Bruce Reed from Olathe is decent, as well. 6'8" F Elhadji Wade only played 4-5 minutes and is awfully thin, but I liked his game while he was in. He originally committed to Utah St. but being from Senagal by way of Japan, the NCAA didn't clear him academically.

Comment

As for players coming out of Hutch in the last five years, the two that come to mind are Bobby Maze (Tennessee) and Darius Johnson-Odom (Marquette).

Comment

Bobby Maze, now doing very well at Tennessee was at Hutch. There was some Maze-Wichita State interest.

I think the Jayhawk conference now restricts the number of out of state players it's teams can have. But there are still plenty of players going on to D-1 ball. I don't think we need to step up efforts. We've been doing all we can with the one's we want or have any chance of getting.
                              In the fast lane

Comment

Jayhawk has always restricted the number of out of state guys; puts them at a big disadvantage to Three Rivers, Vincennes, the Texas schools, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X