Omaha World Herald Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omaha World Herald Predictions

Didn't know if anyone saw this in the Omaha paper. Talk about expecting nothing from the Shockers. It will be great to email this writer at the end of the season about his predictions.

wow, what a pessimist

Comment

He MUST be on crack
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Ok, we have a LONG way to go and luckily we have time to get it together before the Valley starts. But even so 8th is kinda crazy LOL.

Gotta remember though, of course he's going to be a CU homer and pick them that high, but he can't pick Indiana St TOO low since it's a former CU coach LOL. No bias in that article at all... :roll:
        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

The only outrageous thing is the order of finish.....

Even Marshall says PJ cannot be hurt.... and we need EO to show up and contribute. And we will expect MUCH of him... (both PJ and EO)

All the rest of the guys, especially the new guys have to live up to there potential on the floor, which I totally expect them to do..

I do expect this guy to eat his words.... :yes: :goshocks: :yes:
          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

8th seems a bit ridiculous, but we've still got to prove to them that we haven't fallen off that far.

I trust CGM and his system, but it's honestly difficult to have high expectations yet. The recruiting season was too short, we lost some promising players, and don't have everyone in the stable yet.

After last night, I don't feel like we did a lot to dispel the writer's notions.

Cut down on the turnovers, and get to the line more than our opponents, and I'll feel a little bit better about this season.

Comment

We pretty much looked like an eighth place team last night. But I don't think it will take much time for RC and MG to become forces. AE looks like he will really contribute this year. Gal will get PT and will have a very good year. If EO plays, I still will go with my 2nd place prediction.
              In the fast lane

Comment

The guy is just being realistic.

Turgeon left this program in shambles. The MVC is down this year so that will help. But realistically there is no reason for anyone other than a Shocker fan to think that we will finish any higher than 7th or 8th this year.

I think Marshall is a great coach (much better than Turgeon) and he will right this ship.

I am hopeful he can pull out a miracle and get us into to the top 5 of the Valley this year but it would be foolish to predict that before the season starts.

His assesment appears to me to realistic and on the mark at this point.

Comment

You know, it would be nice if 'sports analysts' were held accountable for their assessments in some way, like if more than 2 mistakes, they lose a digit.

I have no doubts that we will be in the top 5 of the MVC, just how high, I am not sure at this point. We have the talent, we have the coach and staff, and you can't measure 'heart' in a coach or team, that's why analysts have to eat their words much of the time.

CGM took a 7-21 team, and went 21-7 his first year coaching them. What makes anyone think he can't take a 17-15 team and improve on them, especially with 5 regular playing members of the team from last year.

Simple fact: CGM likes to play the game well. His 70% win rate reflects that. To say that the 2nd winningest active coach is going to go 8th in the conference is an oxymoron.

Any noticeable errors committed in the 1st exhibition game can be corrected in short order with good practices, and that's what a good coach does.

Sure, we may be a little short in the post now, but we still have 3-4 6'7" guys going up for rebounds, and when Orukpe gets here some of the rebounding problems will go away.

I just think this particular sports analyst is selling CGM short!

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                    You know, it would be nice if 'sports analysts' were held accountable for their assessments in some way, like if more than 2 mistakes, they lose a digit.

lol! Nobody would predict anything, ever.

fans should learn to take stuff FWIW.

Comment

I hardly see how picking ISU above us is realistic.

Even on paper 7th is about the worst you could pick and that's a stretch. I can accept 6th even though we won't end up that low. Most have us picked 6th. A few 7th. When it's all said and done we'll be in the top 3 and these clowns will be shown to be the fools they are.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Look, I think we're going to do better than 8th also. But I really can't blame anybody for predicting us to be terrible, just as I can't argue against picking us to be great. We have very very little idea how a lot of new players under a new coach are going to perform. I for one am not going to expect anything, and I'll be pleasantly surprised if we do really well. Clemente, Griskenas, Ellis, Orukpe and others could be great or they could be awful. So, for that matter, could coach Marshall. They're all in a new situation with new players around them. We've seen enough flops and enough overachievers over the years to know that past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

Comment

Who cares, it'll be good bulletin board material. Pre-season doesn't mean squat. 5th, 9th, or 1st in November is moot.

Go Shockers!
                          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Pretty accurate assessment - for November. Other than PJ, MB & Gal, there are a lot of unknowns with this bunch. A 7' center nobody has ever seen; a couple of Juco All American's that have yet to play a D-1 game; a couple of Freshmen, one who hasn't played organized ball in two years.
                            Right now, it sounds pretty accurate to me. Now let's see what happens in the next 4 months. 8)
                            Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog

lol! Nobody would predict anything, ever.

fans should learn to take stuff FWIW.
                              Thats very good advice.

I'd much rather have WSU being overlooked during the preseason.

I don't claim to know how this season will turnout, but I don't see how WSU can be any worse than last year in what looks to be a volatile MVC.

Comment

Working...
                              X