Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
    Originally posted by WuDrWu
    Hate to tell you Cold but the crowd last night was better, and louder.
    I agree. However, last night's match was in doubt for most of the 2.5 hours and was a very significant match. I'm just thrilled that Cold was actually there.

Tonight's game was really never in doubt IMHO. The only question was how many the Shocks would win by.

Completed my Shocker Trifecta tonight.

Volleyball was best of the three events by far. Both of the Exhibition Games were relatively mundane affairs. However, it was interesting to see the new systems and new players.

I'm not really concerned about the atmosphere at the Men's Basketball games when it really counts and is really important.
    I agree but we needed to impress a recruit we really want
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by shockpower10
      He liked the signs :yahoo:
      Could you provide a little more detail for those who couldn't be there? Where you sitting close by?

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu
        Could you provide a little more detail for those who couldn't be there? Where you sitting close by?
        I glanced over at him when they flashed the "sign here Stutz" sign up on the board and he looked like he got a kick out of it. He was sitting about 15 rows up in section 113 (I think that was the section).

Comment

Originally posted by Tasmanian Devil
          I glanced over at him when they flashed the "sign here Stutz" sign up on the board and he looked like he got a kick out of it. He was sitting about 15 rows up in section 113 (I think that was the section).
          He was sitting with his Mom in Row 12, Section 123, Seat 1. Directly behind the Shocker bench. That would have been directly across the aisle from where Dave the Rave sat last year. However, the Rave was either not there tonight or his seats have been moved.

He had a big smile on his face when they flashed the sign on the Video Board.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
            Originally posted by Tasmanian Devil
            He was sitting with his Mom in Row 12, Section 123. Directly behind the Shocker bench. That would have been directly across the aisle from where Dave the Rave sat last year. However, the Rave was either not there tonight or his seats have been moved.

He had a big smile on his face when they flashed the sign on the Video Board.
            That's right 123, not 113.

Comment

I sat directly across from Stutz and glanced his direction frequently. Here are a few observations:

1. He's very tall... duh!
              2. He clapped with his family at the start of both halves.
              3. He enjoyed the "left, right, left, right" chant when the AT player fouled out.
              4. He enjoyed the "sign here" sign.
              5. His mom seemed to enjoy herself (not sure if his dad was the guy sitting behind him wearing a gray long sleeve Wichita State shirt?)... I sure hope he's a mommy's boy... it increases our chances.
              6. He seemed to enjoy his jumbo sized hot dog.
              7. Did I mention that he looks like a giant?
              8. He and his mom (family) applauded several of the good plays... recruits typically don't show much emotion sitting in the stands... maybe a good sign?
              9. We need Stutz and he needs us... hopefully he and his family make that decision this weekend.

It's time to put this game and lack of atmosphere into perspective. In the end it was only an exhibition game and a glorified scrimmage. When it doesn't count, it's more difficult to get a crowd fired up... unless it becomes a dunk-a-thon. I can only recall a handful of exhibition games during the past 30 years that had a regular season type atmosphere... one was in the early 80's against the Russians. Sure, many of us (me included) sat on our hands tonight and were somewhat disappointed in not beating this team by 30+ points... the game lacked flow unless you enjoyed watching the opposing team make 23 of 25 foul shots. I now see why coach Marshall prefers a scrimmage with another division 1 team... hopefully (in the future) we can add one regular season home game and eliminate at least one of the exhibitions... we just can't afford to lose any annual revenue.

P.S. Kudos' to the student section and cheer squad... I thought they were great considering the lack of crowd enthusiasm. Oh, and I could understand everything Don Hall said tonight!

:good:
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

If there was a benefit to our inconsistent post play tonight, it was that Garrett saw first hand he will compete for playing time as a Freshman.
                "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle
                  If there was a benefit to our inconsistent post play tonight, it was that Garrett saw first hand he will compete for playing time as a Freshman.
                  I had the same thought on more than one occassion.

Comment

Could the fact that our perimeter players didn't look hard enough inside hurt us? There were a handful of times when I was thinking 'what the hell are they looking at?'
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Maybe he is noticing our lack of inside play, and that will also show him he can compete for time.

Comment

No only him and his mom were at the game. The guy in the grey t-shirt is a family friend and a shocker fan.

Comment

No news? No announcement? I was hoping for today.........

Comment

Me too pinstripers. Me too.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                              Me too pinstripers. Me too.
                              Here's my .02 cents and possible scenario.

Stutz says... "OK, Mom and Dad, I want to play for coach Marshall at Wichita State. I'll get more playing time there than at Kentucky... I don't want to wait while they recruit several big men... I can see where I fit in at Wichita State... they need me! I can help take them to greater heights."

Mom says... "Son, that's awesome news... we'll be able to watch most of your games... son, you just made my day... we're going to love being Shockers."

Dad says... "Son, that's great news, however you need to first call the SMU coach after school today and tell him of your decision... thank him and tell him you want to play closer to home. Also, you need to call coach G. at Kentucky... tell him how much you appreciate their interest and how honored you are to have been recruited by one of the all-time top 5 programs. Oh, son... don't forget to call coach Marshall and give him the good news."

People, we're all on pins and needles and it takes time for good things to happen. If it's meant to be, it will happen... as has been mentioned many times before, Kentucky's interest would cause a young man to not want to make a rushed decision.
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                                A LOT of empty seats tonight. Many of them up higher....
                                thats funny i always see more lower. the up high ones go to the poeple dying for tickets and not just regular rich season ticket holdrs
                                "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
                                CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

Working...
                                X