Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valley games up to and including today (11-01-07)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JVShocker
    When I read some of the comments on their boards about fireturge.com, I couldn't help but think of Shocker fans. I mean, I predicted an almost 60 point win tonight, but realistically, I know there's no way in hockey sticks it'll happen. Doesn't mean I'll be disappointed. I'm just having fun.

ATM will be fine, there's not a soul questioning that (I wouldn't think, anyway.) The result of that game does show exactly how meaningful pre-season predictions are, though, even if you're name is Mark Turgeon (or Lowery, Altman, Jankovic, or even Marshall.)

Now everyone get out there and support the VB team tonight. 8) :goshocks:
    I have no time/interest to check message boards regarding previous coaches but I will say this, if they are already starting threads titled "fireturge.com" ol' Mark is going to have a helluva time. But hey, it was worth the 25% pay increase right? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

That poor, dumb bastard.. he was a king in Wichita..

I hope for his family's sake that he has a decent season..

I would imagine that right about now Turgeon isn't eating or sleeping..

P.S.

I will be at the volleyball game tonight and I am bringing 3 others with me.. :clap:

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
      I suspect that at some point in the future HCGM will eliminate one of the two exhibition games and replace that with a controlled scrimmage against a D-1 opponent.

He did not sound enthusiastic at all about exhibtions on the radio the other day. Said he prefers the controlled scrimmages against D-1 talent as a much better way to prepare his team for the season.

I have no problem at all with that.

:goshocks:
      As long as there are 10,000 seats filled for an exhibition I don't think it's Marshall's choice. Revenue drives that decision.
      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ol' Badass Balla
        I suspect that at some point in the future HCGM will eliminate one of the two exhibition games and replace that with a controlled scrimmage against a D-1 opponent.

He did not sound enthusiastic at all about exhibtions on the radio the other day. Said he prefers the controlled scrimmages against D-1 talent as a much better way to prepare his team for the season.

As long as there are 10,000 seats filled for an exhibition I don't think it's Marshall's choice. Revenue drives that decision.
        Don't be so sure.

Creighton has over 13K in season ticket sales and Altman only scheduled one exhibition game this year (we almost always have two). The other exhibition was replaced with a controlled scrimmage against Washington State.

Many other schools have done a similar thing. There does seem to be a trend toward the controlled scrimmages and I think the trend will continue now that the NCAA has eliminated the "all star" teams and international tems that seemed to fill-up exhibiton schedules. I think the coaches like the controlled scrimmages because they can schedule a better quality opponent and have the ability to stop the scrimmage at any time and coach, teach, etc.

[For those wondering, many schools are playing "all star" teams in exhibitions this year (including CU) but only because those games were scheduled before the ban went into effect.]

Comment

I like the idea of doing one of both.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum

Don't be so sure.

Creighton has over 13K in season ticket sales and Altman only scheduled one exhibition game this year (we almost always have two). The other exhibition was replaced with a controlled scrimmage against Washington State.

Many other schools have done a similar thing. There does seem to be a trend toward the controlled scrimmages and I think the trend will continue now that the NCAA has eliminated the "all star" teams and international tems that seemed to fill-up exhibiton schedules. I think the coaches like the controlled scrimmages because they can schedule a better quality opponent and have the ability to stop the scrimmage at any time and coach, teach, etc.

[For those wondering, many schools are playing "all star" teams in exhibitions this year (including CU) but only because those games were scheduled before the ban went into effect.]
            I sort of agree with this. However, if Washington State comes all the way to Wichita to play a basketball game against the Shocks, why not sell some tickets, and let the community view it. Or, put them on the actual schedule.

I don't understand all the secrecy.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
              Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum

Don't be so sure.

I sort of agree with this. However, if Washington State comes all the way to Wichita to play a basketball game against the Shocks, why not sell some tickets, and let the community view it. Or, put them on the actual schedule.

I don't understand all the secrecy.
              As I understand NCAA rules, scrimmages have to be closed to the public.

As to why not scheduling Wash St during the reg season, I'm sure CU would do it in a heartbeat if Wash St was willing. (Personally my hope is that the coaches for the two schools can hit it off during the scrimmage and that leads to a regular season match-up. But I'm not holding my breath...)

Comment

a "controlled scrimmage" sounds lame to me. meh.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog
                  I read a report that Bayler went to SMU for a scrimmage. There were three 20-minutes sessions. The first two were scripted in terms of playing certain defenses, pressing, etc. The 2nd one was more like a game situation. All sessions had college officials.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                    Originally posted by CharlieHog
                    I read a report that Bayler went to SMU for a scrimmage. There were three 20-minutes sessions. The first two were scripted in terms of playing certain defenses, pressing, etc. The 2nd one was more like a game situation. All sessions had college officials.

Sounds useful to the team, but doesn't sound that fun to watch. (I'm not saying I wouldn't be there if we had one, haha). So much of basketball, and especially college basketball, is emotion/momentum.

Comment

You wouldn't be allowed to watch anyway. By NCAA rule, these scrimmages must be closed.

Comment

I doubt the price of a season ticket will change because they drop one exhibtition game.

Comment

The way HCGM described the controlled scrimmage is that is just like a game situation, with refs, time clocks, etc.

However, the coaches are allowed to stop the action whenever they like for instruction puposes or to have a referee explain to a player why he made a particular call.

If HCGM only wants one exhibition game, I think we will have only one exhibition game, but I could be wrong. Would not be the first nor last time.

Comment

If a team is very young I can see the reasoning behind scheduling a scrimmage. However, if a team has significant experience and knows what to expect, I think you are just wasting a chance to net another half-million dollars in revenue. A team can scrimmage all day, but that doesn't equal a real game with fans, TV timeouts, bad calls, etc.

The NCAA is all about the $$$$$, so they'll do something before they let hundreds of preseason games get eliminated.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

Correction to my earlier post ----

CU's scrimmage is against Washburn. The early media reports had the opoonent incorrectly identified.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy23
                                If a team is very young I can see the reasoning behind scheduling a scrimmage. However, if a team has significant experience and knows what to expect, I think you are just wasting a chance to net another half-million dollars in revenue. A team can scrimmage all day, but that doesn't equal a real game with fans, TV timeouts, bad calls, etc.

The NCAA is all about the $$$$$, so they'll do something before they let hundreds of preseason games get eliminated.
                                Again, I would not expect any change in the price of the season tickets. No significiant revenue loss will occur. IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                                X