Pickup Games June 11th 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Games June 11th 2009

Went and caught some games yesterday. A few comments from what I saw.

1. Clevin Hannah hates to lose. His team lost twice. Several times he threw the ball into the stands. His shot look great and he had several nice drives to the bucket.

2. Hamilton scored about 6 baskets that I remember. 2 easy put backs and about 4 vicious dunks.

3. Manigault had several nice drives and one I remember in particular. He just took it coast to coast dribbling between all kinds of players for an easy lay up. I think we should give him the nickname of Space Ghost.

4. David Kyles scored in all kinds of ways. Dribble drives, step back 3's and a couple easy layups and dunks. Man, does the dude have ups!!

5. Toure Murry had several nice drives to the bucket finishing almost all of them. He had a couple of tear drop floaters ala Tony Parker.

6. JT Durley looks to be in good shape and was a beast all the time. His turn around fade away is niiiiiiice!!!

7. Aaron Ellis hit his usual array of jumpers and was playing in your face defense.

8. Richardson didn't hit a shot that I can remember. He looks to have a good body and should fill in nicely at the 3.

9. Stutz only played about half the time and then disappeared early. Not sure if he had a class or was hurt.

10. Scholarship players missing - Hatch, Williams, Blair, and Coy.

11. Other players that stood out. There was a little kid probably 8 or 9 years old who was just draining 3's from the top of the key. It was neat. Alan Jones who was a freshman at Neosho County was probably the best all around player in the games that I watched. He was draining 3's, playing good defense, he had several drives for layup and a putback plus 2 dunks. He is a 6 foot guard. He really has some good ups. Mayes hit I think 2 threes. Not bad for a walk-on.

12. They started playing right around 5 oclock. I highly recommend you make it out if you can. Nothing like pick up ball to get the Shocker Basketball juices flowing again.
    Shocker fan since December 28th, 2005!

SPAAAAACE GHOOOOOOOST!

Love it!

Comment

re:

I noticed somehow JT, Ellis, Toure, and Kyles all ended up on the same team. Needless to say, they never lost while I was watching.

Kyles was unguardable.

Mannigault and Hamilton are a couple of pretty impressive Freshmen.

JT looks like he's ready to be the leader of this team.

Comment

I'm excited.

Anyone who goes is required to give info to the rest of us :D

I hope to get my chance soon.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I have a feeling both JT and Kyles will have vastly improved years versus last year. JT really came on strong and was a monster at that Creighton game in the tournament. It took Kyles a while to figure out his role and how to stay out of the doghouse. He's the kind of player that will make you pay if you're not paying attention.

Comment

Thanks for the updates guys...keep them coming

:good:

Comment

Re: Pickup Games June 11th 2009

Originally posted by RussDaBus
              Went and caught some games yesterday. A few comments from what I saw.

1. Clevin Hannah hates to lose. His team lost twice. Several times he threw the ball into the stands. His shot look great and he had several nice drives to the bucket.

2. Hamilton scored about 6 baskets that I remember. 2 easy put backs and about 4 vicious dunks.

3. Manigault had several nice drives and one I remember in particular. He just took it coast to coast dribbling between all kinds of players for an easy lay up. I think we should give him the nickname of Space Ghost.

4. David Kyles scored in all kinds of ways. Dribble drives, step back 3's and a couple easy layups and dunks. Man, does the dude have ups!!

5. Toure Murry had several nice drives to the bucket finishing almost all of them. He had a couple of tear drop floaters ala Tony Parker.

6. JT Durley looks to be in good shape and was a beast all the time. His turn around fade away is niiiiiiice!!!

7. Aaron Ellis hit his usual array of jumpers and was playing in your face defense.

8. Richardson didn't hit a shot that I can remember. He looks to have a good body and should fill in nicely at the 3.

9. Stutz only played about half the time and then disappeared early. Not sure if he had a class or was hurt.

10. Scholarship players missing - Hatch, Williams, Blair, and Coy.

11. Other players that stood out. There was a little kid probably 8 or 9 years old who was just draining 3's from the top of the key. It was neat. Alan Jones who was a freshman at Neosho County was probably the best all around player in the games that I watched. He was draining 3's, playing good defense, he had several drives for layup and a putback plus 2 dunks. He is a 6 foot guard. He really has some good ups. Mayes hit I think 2 threes. Not bad for a walk-on.

12. They started playing right around 5 oclock. I highly recommend you make it out if you can. Nothing like pick up ball to get the Shocker Basketball juices flowing again.
              A fine report. Thank you.

I am disappointed that Richardson had two bad days in a row.

When I said he went 1 for a lot from three (above), I was not kidding. Two data points do not make a trend, but it is troublesome.
              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Some thoughts I have from reading the Pick Up games (June 10 & 11):
                1. Where is Blair?
                2. As RdR mentioned yesterday, Williams won't be here until July
                3. Coy is probably busy with summer baseball
                4. Where is Hatch?
                . . .
                5. Stutz only played half ??? Someone should find out why
                6. Richardson had two bad days in a row

These are all negative :(

Of course, the rest is GOOD !!! :clap:
                Thanks for the reports. :bow:
                Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

Originally posted by T.VuOP
                  Some thoughts I have from reading the Pick Up games (June 10 & 11):
                  1. Where is Blair?
                  2. As RdR mentioned yesterday, Williams won't be here until July
                  3. Coy is probably busy with summer baseball
                  4. Where is Hatch?
                  . . .
                  5. Stutz only played half ??? Someone should find out why
                  6. Richardson had two bad days in a row

These are all negative :(

Of course, the rest is GOOD !!! :clap:
                  Thanks for the reports. :bow:
                  Take a deep breath. It's 2 games of summer pickup. Sure it's fun to watch and report but we've read too many reports about AJ this and oh no that!

Comment

Something that may effect a guy like Richardson is the weight room. It's not uncommon at all to see guys get to college and struggle with their shot some once they really start working out for the first time. I'm assuming he started lifting as soon as he arrived in Wichita and could need some time to adjust. Especially if he lifts before they play. I know a few years ago that had an effect on a few players who came straight from the weight room for the games.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                      Something that may effect a guy like Richardson is the weight room.
                      THIS.

Everything Tyler Richardson was missing was way short. I'm sure I would look ridiculous trying to shoot after a Kerry Rosenboom workout.

Be careful with critiques during summer pickup games, we know the players read this stuff, so just use your head a little bit.
                      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle
                        I'm sure I would look ridiculous trying to shoot after a Kerry Rosenboom workout.
                        In my case the statement would hold true even if you excluded every word after "shoot". :)
                        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I'm sure they are fun to watch, which I would certainly do if I could. I enjoy the reports, but learned they don't necessarily translate into what we will see during the season.
                          In the fast lane

Comment

Alan Jones really stood out, anyone know anything about him?

The Neosho site lists Wichita and Celina,TX as his hometown.
                            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                            -John Wooden

Comment

Allen Jones made juco all Kansas Jayhawk conference second team last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X