Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There won't be an arc drawn.

NCAA News Release

On the men’s rules side, the committee made two significant alterations. After discussing adding a restricted area arc at length, the committee instead decided to define the area under the basket and prohibit a secondary defender from establishing guarding position in that area. In the rules proposal, a secondary defender must establish position outside the area from the front of the rim to the front of the backboard.

Comment

Now you will see that Matador defense that the NBA plays.

Comment

they should really go with the arc under the circle.

Comment

Without an arc on the court clearly deliniating the no block/charge area, the officials are going to have a hard time telling if the player was standing there or not, and the fans are going to have a hard time determining if they should lay into the officials or not... it's going to be ANARCHY!!!
          The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Bad rule
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I'll be interested to see how the block/charge call goes, I think it is a good change. I seem to remember Ramon getting a lot of charges called on him when the defender was directly under the basket.

But then again it changes the status quo which automatically makes it a bad, stupid, butt face rule...

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye
                I'll be interested to see how the block/charge call goes, I think it is a good change. I seem to remember Ramon getting a lot of charges called on him when the defender was directly under the basket.

But then again it changes the status quo which automatically makes it a bad, stupid, butt face rule...
                I don't have a problem with the rule change in a general sense. In fact I like not allowing defenders to draw charges when they have failed to establish defensive position to keep the offensive player away from the basket. However, my complaint, and that of most people here, is that it adds one more judgment call to an already difficult call to make.

What is worse is that there is an approach to this problem (having a arc like the NBA) which makes it an objective call rather than a judgment call, but the rule committee opted against it.
                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

However, my complaint, and that of most people here, is that it adds one more judgment call to an already difficult call to make.

What is worse is that there is an approach to this problem (having a arc like the NBA) which makes it an objective call rather than a judgment call, but the rule committee opted against it.
                  Good point. It does seem strange to implement the rule but leave out the arc. Hopefully the rule has some success this year and they decide to do it right and draw the arc.

I'm glad they're finally starting to take a look at this call, it's long overdue.

Comment

all i know is if i were a player i would start fouling everyone very, very hard.

Comment

Coach Marshall likes the rule change on the block-charging call, but think there should be a line.

Incomplete -- WSU coach Gregg Marshall likes the NCAA rule change regarding the block-charge call. He wishes the committee would do more.

The change states a secondary defender (or helping defender) can't stand under the basket to draw a charge. The player must get position outside the area between the backboard and the front of the rim.

"I think once you get to a certain point, there is no charge," Marshall said. "Give it a block or an and-one (basket and free throw), fine. There should be no charge right under the basket."

NBA courts mark a restricted area with an arc with a four-foot radius measured from the middle of the basket. Marshall thinks that is a needed step for the college game.

"How are you going to do it otherwise -- use your judgment," Marshall said. "I'm not crazy about that. Let's have a line."
                      Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

"NIT to have experimental rules similar to quarter-style play" - AP College Basketball

Read the latest college basketball news. Keep up with college basketball rankings, scores, and stats of your favorite players and teams, all on AP News.

"INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — This year's NIT will experiment with rules, incorporating elements of playing four quarters while staying with a two-half format.

The NCAA announced Monday its rules panel has approved resetting team fouls to zero at the end of 10-minute segments in each half, as well as doing away with the 1-and-1 free throw in favor or two foul shots on many fouls.

Instead, teams will shoot two free throws after teams have reached four fouls during each 10-minute segment and three fouls during overtime. The fouls will reset at the 9:59 mark of each half.

The rules panel also approved resetting the shot clock to 20 seconds instead of going back to 30 when a team inbounds in its frontcourt after a foul."

Comment

Working...
                        X