Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA approves 3 rules changes

From the link

n NCAA committee has approved three rules changes intended to clarify block-charge calls, who can shoot free throws after an injury and the expanded use of replay.

The announcement Monday means secondary defenders must establish position outside the area between the backboard and the front of the rim to draw a charge call. The playing rules oversight panel said in a release that the change was based on surveys, rules forums and the coaches’ desire to reduce the amount of contact occurring underneath the basket.

The panel also addressed the perceived advantage teams can get when a fouled player is injured. Previously, the shooting team’s coach could select any player on his roster to take free throws. Now, the opposing coach must select from the four players remaining on the court.

And the committee approved expanding replay to determine flagrant fouls, which would result in ejection. If the foul is not considered flagrant, officials could still call an intentional foul or a technical foul for contact. It is the only rules change that will apply to men’s and women’s basketball.

The rules changes will go into effect this fall.
    I really like the change in having to choose someone on the court to shoot for the injured player. This will reduce some feigned injuries.

I don't appreciate the full impact of the charge/block change, but maybe because I rarely agreed with the current calls.

Notice there is nothing about using replay to review the end-of-half or end-of-game clock.
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

I don't like the block/charge rule. That just adds one more thing the official has to worry about on what is already a tough call much of the time. I do like the injured player/FT rule.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I'm all for replays for flagrant fouls. The other 2 rule changes are not good.

Why reward the opposing team for injuring your player? The rule needs to be changed, but not like this.
      Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
      Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

Does the opposing always injure the opposing player? I would venture to guess that injuries are caused by the player themselves as much or more of the time. Sometimes, contact isn't made when injuries occur.

Comment

Originally posted by capnkirk
          Why reward the opposing team for injuring your player? The rule needs to be changed, but not like this.
          I had the same thought. It would be better if an official made a random choice (e.g. by rolling a 4-sided die) of the players on the court.
          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

This also prevents someone pretending to be hurt so Blake Ahearn can come in and shoot late game FTs. And then come back in "fighting through" whatever pain he may or may not have had.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Pretending they are hurt is a different matter but do you think this happens very often. Maybe once is enough for a rule change

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster
                Pretending they are hurt is a different matter but do you think this happens very often. Maybe once is enough for a rule change
                I've seen a number of suspect injuries at different levels.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I actually like the block/ charge rules change, I thought it was a rule that needed to be made
                  Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234
                    I actually like the block/ charge rules change, I thought it was a rule that needed to be made
                    All it will do is cause MORE problems and complaints
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                      This also prevents someone pretending to be hurt so Blake Ahearn can come in and shoot late game FTs. And then come back in "fighting through" whatever pain he may or may not have had.
                      That is the very instance i was thinking of.
                      Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
                      Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

its gonna prevent big man to do more than just stand under the basket on defense and when some comes i step up and get the charge call. With this rule it should prevent that.

Comment

its gonna prevent big man to do more than just stand under the basket on defense and when some comes i step up and get the charge call. With this rule it should prevent that.
                          Good luck with that
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

The only way the block/charge rule change can make sense is if they draw a circle on the court in the same way as the NBA. That way an official, who should always be looking to see if the feet were moving on a block/charge has his reference point for being under the basket at the feet instead of trying to both look at the feet and look up to see if the player is under the basket.
                            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                              The only way the block/charge rule change can make sense is if they draw a circle on the court in the same way as the NBA. That way an official, who should always be looking to see if the feet were moving on a block/charge has his reference point for being under the basket at the feet instead of trying to both look at the feet and look up to see if the player is under the basket.
                              I guess maybe i read it wrong then, i was assuming they were gonna have the circle on the court. If that's the case then, yea its going to be pretty difficult for the officials to incorporate the rule correctly.

Comment

Working...
                              X