Something to look forward to, or not - 2008-2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something to look forward to, or not - 2008-2009

Well, this week I was told some interesting news - don't be surprised if every seat in Koch Arena is re-sat next season (for 2008-2009.) I don't know how accurate the information is, but if you value season tickets, it may not hurt to be prepared (with the $$$$) come decision time. And if you ever wanted season tickets, it might not be a bad time to get on the waiting list.

Maybe someone with better information can shed light on this - especially from the historical perspective, but I thought when they re-sat everyone with the opening of Koch they mentioned they would probably have to do this periodically. I wish I could recall exactly how it was worded. I know there were a lot of unhappy people at the time, and a lot of complaints from long time ticket holders who had "cheap" seats down low, but I guess you could say everything came up roses seeing as they've sold out nearly every home game over the last 4 years.

It wasn't surprising news - and it did not come from anyone within the athletic department - but an individual of fairly high authority - so you can feel free to take it with a bit of salt (or skepticism.) Or, you can treat it as hope, that is, if you're one of the many people who are on the waiting list for season tickets, be it ANY season tickets.

Any info confirming or denying this would be appreciated. Maybe someone could get in touch with Paul S at the Eagle?

I have no information on this but it makes sense. The team flies to games now and Gregg Marshall is getting a good salary. Volleyball flew to Hawaii, which costs money (and seems to be gaining the Shocks some respect in VB). Athletics probably needs a little more money to keep improving Shocker sports; this seems fair to me. (I only pay about $250 per ticket for season baseball tickets and $55 (?) per ticket for volleyball so I guess I'm not the best person to discuss basketball seating. :lol: )
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Can you be more specific as to what your speaking of? A little more clarity would help and be appreciated...

Comment

Originally posted by t7017s
        Can you be more specific as to what your speaking of? A little more clarity would help and be appreciated...
        I believe basically everyone will have to "re-bid" (so to speak) for their seats. In other words, pony up more $$$ or it could go to someone on the waiting list ready to pay the $$.

I may be wrong, but I believe that is pretty much what happened after the renovation. I like my seats too much, some of the best leg room in the place LOL. I'll just save the extra $$ and pay it!
        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I don't think this will happen. WSU is cominig off a 17-14 record and 8-10 in the Valley. We are now two years removed from our sweet sixteen run and have remained loyal season ticket holders. It would be economic suicide if we have another year like last and they then decide to re-bid everyone's seats. Makes no sense. Last year would have been the year to do it.

Comment

this doen't make a too much sense. I cna see them simply raising the cost of seats due to higher coists, inflation and so on. But re-bidding seems unlikely.

If the cost is raised they could simply have a waiting list of current season ticket holder looking to move to better seats paired with a list that might want to move to less expensive seats.

Comment

This would not surprise me. I doubt they would do it in the same method as KU did where they simply raised the amount EVERYONE had to pay significantly to stay where they were. However, When the arena was remodeled, I remember flying over to pick out my new seats and I noticed much of the lower bowl were corporate seats. I'm assuming these companies donated $$ to the remodel.

Some of these companies might have dropped out or refused to continue to pay the annual renewal or the yearly small increases. therefore, I could see the school allowing people to move down into these seats but you would have to re-bid for them. While this will cause some financial pain, this might be a good thing for crowd noise. For instance the 4 seats immediately to my left are paid for by a local car dealer and rarely, except for the biggest games, are their seats all full. While it's nice we get to spread out, i'd rather have the sets full of screaming shockers.

:wsu_posters:

Comment

From what I have heard JV is spot on. A buddy of mine heard this from a higher-up in the athletic dept. Mentioned that GM's neighbor who has the goods can't get tickets. So if the demand for higher priced seats is there then the athletic dept. must act on it.

I imagine this could have a trickle down affect as some displaced lower seat holders will be pushed up and the littlle folks in the nosebleed might possibly be pushed out (including me). As much as I cherish my row 29 seats there may come a day where I have to turn them over (especially with a 2nd kid along the way).

That my friends is the price of success and buying the services of the best coach possible. And fans need to be willing to make the sacrafice - either by paying higher prices or turning over their tickets.

Finally, if this day does arrive I hope they would consider offering the Shocker Channel to the displaced ticket refugees.

Comment

I hope that they keep the costs in balance. I have been attending games for almost 40 years as a young kid with my parents and then as an adult. I have a lot of loyalty for the university but I have limited funds and if I have to choose, there are a few other priorities that come before WSU. I know some other season ticket holders who were just a part of the program the past three or four years. This year (while they had more than enough money), they decided that it took away from other entertainment and travel options and they didn't have the time to do it all so they didn't renew. While I can pay a little more, and I don't mind sitting high for lower priced tickets, there may come a time that I can't afford the high price on a fixed income. I have gone to many games when WSU lost but I was loyal. Just because someone has the money, doesn't make them a good and loyal fan. Again, I am just saying that there should be balance in this equation.

Comment

I would expect all the games at Koch to be sellouts unless something goes horribly wrong in the Marshall era. Don't forget that the downtown arena is planned to open in early 09 so they may play a game or two there. If so, the extra seating capacity (15,000) means a sellout is no longer a sure thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ixiah
                      I would expect all the games at Koch to be sellouts unless something goes horribly wrong in the Marshall era. Don't forget that the downtown arena is planned to open in early 09 so they may play a game or two there. If so, the extra seating capacity (15,000) means a sellout is no longer a sure thing.
                      Against the right school, and with the super unavailability of tickets to Koch, it'll sellout.

Comment

Let's face it, if the success is sustained, WSU needs to do a RoundHouse Renaissance II. Raise the roof, add about 3,000 more seats and then put the roof back on. Oklahoma State did this very thing.

Comment

OSU has very deep pockets.

I'd be surprised if a roof raising would cost less than the original renovation of $20-$25 million.

Comment

The reseating would be done to raise more scholarship money for athletes, I believe

Right now all of the SASO contributions don't cover all of the costs of scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster
                              I hope that they keep the costs in balance. I have been attending games for almost 40 years as a young kid with my parents and then as an adult. I have a lot of loyalty for the university but I have limited funds and if I have to choose, there are a few other priorities that come before WSU. I know some other season ticket holders who were just a part of the program the past three or four years. This year (while they had more than enough money), they decided that it took away from other entertainment and travel options and they didn't have the time to do it all so they didn't renew. While I can pay a little more, and I don't mind sitting high for lower priced tickets, there may come a time that I can't afford the high price on a fixed income. I have gone to many games when WSU lost but I was loyal. Just because someone has the money, doesn't make them a good and loyal fan. Again, I am just saying that there should be balance in this equation.
                              To give you comfort, the lady, who baked cookies for the players, since the Ralph Miller days, lost her prime seat and now sits in the rafters.

Money will drive all decisions. Loyalty is never considered. For evidence, just review the last process. Before the re-seating, AD Schaus could have told each existing ticket holder the amount of money required to keep and renew their seats. He did not. Instead, he auctioned off the seats to the highest bidder.

Always remember George Fahnestock's famous quote, "There are some very good seats available, if you can write the check."

Comment

Working...
                              X