Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MVC Predictions

Originally posted by newshock1234
    I know media day is monday i think, and i know the media will give their predictions. So i was wondering what everyone elses on here are.

1. SIU (wont miss a beat from last year run)
    2. Bradley (got so nice talent coming back)
    3. Creighton (Dana Altmans teams never have a down year)
    4. Ill State (They have lots of talant)
    5. Wichita State (Remember the last time we were picked 5th)
    6. UNI (Coleman will keep them competive)
    7.Missouri State (They are gonna struggle)
    8. Indiana State (new coach will struggle)
    9. Drake (i feel for them)
    10. Evansville ( i am happy we are not in this position)
    If you 'remember the last time we were picked 5th', just pick the Shocks to do the same this year. Why not pick them to win the Valley? Several D1 programs have new players come in each year. This is just a feel good exercise to make sure everyone isn't feeling all doom and gloom about the upcoming season. This is the MVC, the Shocks have a legitimate shot at winning the conference hands down. It's time the fans in the Valley stop thinking about who's going to win the league and start thinking about who in the Valley is going to make a run at the national championship. Everyone bags on the BCS schools but I'm quite sure Duke fans aren't concentrating on winning the ACC.

Comment

1. SIU
      2. ISU
      3. BU
      4. CU
      5. WSU
      6. MSU
      7. UNI
      8. ISU
      9. DU
      10. EU

I will say I believe we have a realistic shot at getting much better than 5th and possibly as high as 2nd. Im looking for 16-18 wins and an NIT bid or tourney win and NCAA.

Comment

I've said it before on several boards and I'll say it again here. I think it may be something like this:

1. SIU
        2-6. ???
        7. UNI
        8. InSU
        9. DU
        10. UE

2-7 is going to be up for grabs, however if I had to pick a 7th, I'd say UNI, but they could finish higher. MSU has lost a lot but they will still be competitive. CU will be CU and you cant ever count out an Altman team. I like a lot of the players you guys have and GM is a proven winning coach so you'll be in the mix as well. A lot of fans are putting stock in BU for a top-2/3 finish, but they have a ton of new faces. They are in a position not unlike where we were at last year with lots of talent, but question marks as to how/if/when it will gel. Nevertheless, I think the 3 teams from Illinois have a legit chance to all be in the top-5, maybe even top-3, who knows.

No matter what, I think there may be a helluva fight for 2nd-5th between CU, BU, WSU and ISU. (I hope so anyway...us 'Bird fans are sick & tired of being on the outside looking in. It's been way too long since we were a legitimate threat in the league.) Plus, I think we can all pencil in the 2 annual battles between the Shox and the 'Birds. Should be another couple tough games between our teams this year. 8)
        I am a diehard Illinois State Redbird fan first, and an MVC supporter, diplomat, and ambassador of good will second.

Comment

I agree with tdog, let's focus on getting as many teams in the tourney as possible so we can compete for a championship.

A rising tide floats all boats!

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
            I've said it before on several boards and I'll say it again here. I think it may be something like this:

1. SIU
            2-6. ???
            7. UNI
            8. InSU
            9. DU
            10. UE

2-7 is going to be up for grabs, however if I had to pick a 7th, I'd say UNI, but they could finish higher. MSU has lost a lot but they will still be competitive. CU will be CU and you cant ever count out an Altman team. I like a lot of the players you guys have and GM is a proven winning coach so you'll be in the mix as well. A lot of fans are putting stock in BU for a top-2/3 finish, but they have a ton of new faces. They are in a position not unlike where we were at last year with lots of talent, but question marks as to how/if/when it will gel. Nevertheless, I think the 3 teams from Illinois have a legit chance to all be in the top-5, maybe even top-3, who knows.

No matter what, I think there may be a helluva fight for 2nd-5th between CU, BU, WSU and ISU. (I hope so anyway...us 'Bird fans are sick & tired of being on the outside looking in. It's been way too long since we were a legitimate threat in the league.) Plus, I think we can all pencil in the 2 annual battles between the Shox and the 'Birds. Should be another couple tough games between our teams this year. 8)

This prediction is about as good as it gets but that's not surprising given the source.

I do think SIU is vulnerable with ZERO proven guard scoring ability, but their system and track record deserve the top pick.

Drake and Evansville seemed destined for the 9-10 spots.....ISU blue is going to be hard pressed to make it out of the play in round and UNI is most likely to join them but also most likely of the bottom 4 to sneak into the top 6. Everything else is totally up for grabs.

Comment

I have my doubts about SIU because:

1) Conference is taller overall, be harder for SIU to guard.
              2) Losing Tatum and Young takes away 60% of their offense.

general effects: defense for SIU won't be as effective.
              They will struggle with Offense like years past before last year.
              I am not convinced that Lowery is that good of a coach as
              the accolades he seems to get.

Comment

He may not be a great Xs and Os coach, but he gets the guys to buy in to what he wants them to do and he has high expectations and demands results and now everyone in the system (except the first year players) have the same beliefs and expectations.

It's not like 1 guy (Coach Marshall) has to teach 16 kids what it is going to take to succeed.

Comment

Working...
                X