X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shockerfan
    Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
    ...to Turgeon we were just another Mid-Major
    I never heard Coach Turgeon say that we were just another mid-major. When did he say it?

I could say much more and I’m probably going to be labeled as an idiot for posting this but it’s best to respect the confidentiality of private conversations.
    What does this sentence mean?

Thanks.
    He may not have said those exact words, but that is my interpretation of how I think he felt. No one else has to feel that way, obviously some of the Turgeon appologists will challenge those feelings. I'm not against Turgeon and appreciate what he helped do for the program and wish him the best of luck, but the guy isn't perfect either.

All I was saying was that the 2 coaches obviously have a different mentality and it's a little refreshing to have a new outlook.
    I also have great appreciation for Coach Turgeon and feel no animosity toward him but I certainly agree that Turgeon viewed the WSU job as having something of a glass ceiling against which he was always struggling in his competition with BCS schools while Marshall appears to view it as an opportunity which gives him the resources he needs to beat the BCS schools.
    The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by TurFin
      shockerfan,
      You are so off base I can't even begin to debate it with you. I'll just say...Ricky is never afraid to throw criticism where he sees the need.
      Your opinion is wrong...flat wrong.
      So what? Probably half (or more) of the opinions, "facts", etc. posted here are "wrong." I think Mark is not sufficiently appreciated here by some people because he found a system which worked in spite of the MVC refs and he raised the profile of WSU basketball. I can understand people being angry that he left; these people may not have great opinions of MT. So what? What harm do these opinions cause?

How often am I wrong? ... (waiting for the avalanche of examples :lol: ).
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I suppose RDR is in a bad humor considering the baseball season is over (as am I). I don't beleive that it's fair to compare a new coach's attitude with the attitude of a coach in his "walk year". That being said, it's understandable that people's last impression of MT is that he was looking to leave and make what was a vertical move in his mind, get out of this "mid-major" town.

Comment

Larry Brown

Pin, as I mentioned in another thread, all we need to remember about MT's ability to be ultimately satisfied here is two words: "Larry Brown."

When your mentor is a guy whose picture appears in the dictionary next to the word "discontented," it's only a matter of time.

Comment

Folks,

What started as a great thread (by a poster with less than 100 posts) has deteriorated into drivel.

Can we please stop and get back to the issue at hand and ENJOY THE RIDE?????

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Originally posted by Shockair
              I remembered one other thing, it was one of the best bits of information he told us (I can't believe I forgot this!!!): He said he was in Koch Arena doing some individual player drills and the guys were just doing ok, but weren't really getting after it like he likes. He saw a couple walk in and go way to the top row of the arena, obviously to pick out their seats for the season. He stopped and watched the couple sit in two seats behind a post that would obviously have obstructed their view of the floor. Coach stopped his players and told them to look at the couple, "spending their hard earned money to buy an obstructed view seat" just to watch them play and they had better step it up! Coach then said he followed the couple out to the concourse and thanked them for being good fans and supporting the team. CGM is my hero!

Great story 'Air......it is "so Gregg". He is one of a very few who will expect and demand that you run through walls and then makes you want to do just that. A fantastic motivator.

Can I time travel into next Tuesday...........please?

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

spangler...I'm trying to gather what you're arguing against.

shockerfan said they all have opinions on that subject and no one is right or wrong. I simply stated...yes there is a right and wrong...and his is wrong. I'm not basing that off reading the board...I basing that off of talks I've had with the man concerning his thoughts on WSU.

I don't find it offensive that some think MT might have made the decision to leave due to a "glass ceiling"...that's reasonable given the circumstances. To have some feelings regarding that is perfectly reasonable as well.

To say he viewed WSU as "just another mid major job" and had a plan to leave all along is wrong...not possibly wrong...wrong.

To ask me to state all the times you were wrong is ridiculous. I may respond from time to time about things regarding MT...but it's a very small sample of what's been posted on here over the last 7 years.

Comment

TurFin: You do have a sense of humor. Right? :D
                  Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Where is the big "Just Chill Out" emoticon for SN?

PS Maybe I'll run away in Dec. & Jan.? London? :whistle:

Comment

Good bye. Dont let the door hit you in the ?

Comment

sorry spangler...been a long day at work...I was reading up on basketball for lunch (trying to escape the nut bin I work at) and let's just say I'm a little jumpy.

:oops:

Comment

TurFin: I've had days like that too. :yes: Best of luck!!

Comment

In Spangler's defense, I think he was probably referring to Turgeon's near constant use of the phrase "at this level."

Comment

Originally posted by WUs Your Daddy
                              In Spangler's defense, I think he was probably referring to Turgeon's near constant use of the phrase "at this level."
                              Perhaps Coach Turgeon may have miffed a few by the excessive use of the expression, but nevertheless, WSU is at level, which is different than say Duke, KU, Florida, UConn, Georgetown and UCLA.

I believe most on this forum will agree there is a level difference. How the difference is defined is up to the individual.

Comment

Of course there's a difference, but it's not necessarilly what you want to hear come out of your coach's mouth (especially when you can't separate the man from his alma mater). At the time it seemed both as a slap in the face and a little defeatest.

I will say that given the landscape of college basketball over the last five years, it really wasn't as truthful as it was in the past and was kind of a stupid comment to make in the first place and totally not necessary.

Marshall is just a breath of fresh air. I'm already a fan.

Comment

Working...
                                X