Majors visiting Mids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Majors visiting Mids

USC at The Citadel. Texas Tech at Sam Houston State. Alabama at Mercer. No, these aren't typos. Some of college hoops' big boys are swallowing their pride and heading out on the mid-major road this season, writes Kyle Whelliston.

An article on espn.com about teams from major conferences visiting mid-majors. Mentions LSU coming to WSU. Do you think that in the future we can get more majors into Wichita?

Not if the Shocks keep winning their games against the so-called Majors :yahoo:
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Actually the cost of buy in games will help the Shockers in getting teams to come here. Yes, we might have to take a 2-1, but I believe they will come to Wichita. KSU might be the best candidate (maybe even a 1-1) with a young coach and a talented team, they would probably be willing to take their show down the road from Manhattan. Maybe KU will feel the same some day.

Syracuse will keep paying out the bucks, but alot of other programs that used to take buyouts are asking for quite a bit more now. And with conferences frowning upon schools getting bought, the trend might continue. Plus the NCAA tourney comittee basically telling schools that they have a better shot in March if they actually left their own arena before January, will help as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
        Actually the cost of buy in games will help the Shockers in getting teams to come here. Yes, we might have to take a 2-1, but I believe they will come to Wichita. KSU might be the best candidate (maybe even a 1-1) with a young coach and a talented team, they would probably be willing to take their show down the road from Manhattan. Maybe KU will feel the same some day.

Syracuse will keep paying out the bucks, but alot of other programs that used to take buyouts are asking for quite a bit more now. And with conferences frowning upon schools getting bought, the trend might continue. Plus the NCAA tourney comittee basically telling schools that they have a better shot in March if they actually left their own arena before January, will help as well.
        So your advocating a 2 for 1 with Kansas State???

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock
          Originally posted by rrshock

So your advocating a 2 for 1 with Kansas State???
          Not KSU or KU, even though that's how I typed it. But if the right situation arises with a powerhouse in the ACC or SEC or even Pac 10, then I'd be for it. The committee is gonna make Syracuse and the rest of the Big East travel someday, so they'll need to be looking for these things too. I think the top level of the MVC is also getting to a point where these bigger conferences will be looking at 1-1 deals.

Comment

I hate 2 for 1 deals but there are a few schools I'd probably be ok with. KU and KSU are not on that list. I'd still like to work something out with Texas or Baylor. Even Rice or Houston (not gonna happen) or whoever else down there would have a not too killer RPI.

I may consider a 2 for 1 with Texas just so we could play down there and possibly get some good coverage. I'd take it with Duke or maybe Kentucky. And if we wanted to get some left coast exposure maybe the likes of 'Zona or UCLA.

But I'd like to get 1 and 1 with just about anyone and I'd love to see something with 0U or OSU. Arkansas or Mizzou.

It'd be nice if we could get some kind of deal with southern teams as well. GT and SC wouldn't suck.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I'd take a 3-2 with KU.
              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                I hate 2 for 1 deals but there are a few schools I'd probably be ok with. KU and KSU are not on that list. I'd still like to work something out with Texas or Baylor. Even Rice or Houston (not gonna happen) or whoever else down there would have a not too killer RPI.

I may consider a 2 for 1 with Texas just so we could play down there and possibly get some good coverage. I'd take it with Duke or maybe Kentucky. And if we wanted to get some left coast exposure maybe the likes of 'Zona or UCLA.

But I'd like to get 1 and 1 with just about anyone and I'd love to see something with 0U or OSU. Arkansas or Mizzou.

It'd be nice if we could get some kind of deal with southern teams as well. GT and SC wouldn't suck.
                Texas would provide good exposure, and especially in an area that WSU recruits heavily.

The OSU deal we had in the past was a 2-2. That was great. I don't understand why it can't be done again. Having OSU, Mizzou, and Arkansas on a non-con schedule would be great. It might be tough, but would help an RPI and also get rid of the Maryland-Eastern Shore type teams. Maybe after the tourney this year, HCGM can get some of these type of schools lined up.

Comment

I have no problem with a 1-1-1 with KU: One in Lo-rents, Koch, and KC. We could do a 1-1-1 with KSU as well with the 3rd game in a "neutral" site.

T

...8)

Comment

If this kid at Brooks is as good as we all believe would it not seem likely that some of the bigger names would be willing to do a one for one. This would allow him to see how they would be willing to play in his hometown, or do coaches not think this way?

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                      I have no problem with a 1-1-1 with KU: One in Lo-rents, Koch, and KC. We could do a 1-1-1 with KSU as well with the 3rd game in a "neutral" site.

T

...8)
                      Absolutely.

Personally, I'd never agree to a 2 for 1 with KU or KSU. It's a matter of pride. We play in the same division with them and we live in the same state. There is no reason either of them should look down their noses at lil 'ole WSU.

Comment

I think you guys are in good position to get BCS teams to consistently play in Wichita.

Comment

Originally posted by MSNSaluki
                          I think you guys are in good position to get BCS teams to consistently play in Wichita.
                          Hear! Hear o'wise Saluki! :D

Comment

Originally posted by MSNSaluki
                            What about SIU? Or have they scared everyone away?

Comment

I'd guess that the key is national television exposure.

If a BCS team can come here and play a game on national TV, they'd probably be a lot more likely to do it.
                              The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Working...
                              X