Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rrshock
    Originally posted by MSNSaluki
    I think you guys are in good position to get BCS teams to consistently play in Wichita.
    What about SIU? Or have they scared everyone away?
    We've only got Indiana at home this year as part of a deal to switch dates last year for a football game (which we got $250,000 and won ... :) .

Indiana was the last BCS school to play at the Arena (in 2001 during our first Sweet 16 season) and that only happened because Bob Knight made the deal before he went to Texas Tech. Mike Davis complained about the game and if he was still the coach, I'm pretty sure IU wouldn't be coming this year.

We can't get anybody to come to Carbondale except for Charlotte.

Comment

Interesting trade b/t sports.

I've always wondered if there was a way to leverage baseball.

Based on past history, apparently not.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC

We had agreed on a date for the football game and IU came back and asked us to move the date. We agreed. IU then wanted to move the date again. Our football coach said he'd do it if they'd do a home-and-home with the basketball team. That sealed the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC

We had agreed on a date for the football game and IU came back and asked us to move the date. We agreed. IU then wanted to move the date again. Our football coach said he'd do it if they'd do a home-and-home with the basketball team. That sealed the deal.
          Yet another thing football comes in handy for. It just seems weird to me that the football coach did that.

Comment

Why would a 'Big' in Basketball want to play a 'Mid' if they perceived that there was more than a slight chance of them getting beat by the Mid????

Most are concerned more by their rank and file in the Basketball world, than
            the opportunity for a good matchup against a 'lessor' in their eyes.

Exactly the reason KU will never play us.

I am sure that Syracuse and LSU have had a few regrets, and yes, although our program may be more on equal standing than originally thought, most power houses in Basketball just don't want to be too risky with their schedules.

Comment

well if we are so inferior to them *bigs* then thats more motivation to come here and play.

Since the RPI is rigged to grant more points for road wins then thats a guaranteed road win for big brother.

somebody help me here math was never my strong point.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
                well if we are so inferior to them *bigs* then thats more motivation to come here and play.

Since the RPI is rigged to grant more points for road wins then thats a guaranteed road win for big brother.

I think the ESPN story this thread was started with is bad news for MVC teams. BCS schools aren't gonna come to Wichita or Carbondale if they can get the same RPI boost by playing at Alcorn State and the Citadel.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone

I think the ESPN story this thread was started with is bad news for MVC teams. BCS schools aren't gonna come to Wichita or Carbondale if they can get the same RPI boost by playing at Alcorn State and the Citadel.
                  Yeah I know its just.... well screw it I think we all feel the same way haha

Comment

Look at Gonzaga. How long has it taken Mark Few to get the "Bigs" to his place? For what they have accomplished the past few seasons, the "bigs" are still trying to hold them back by not playing them unless it is a road game for Gonzaga or at a neutral site.

Comment

Last year, early on, WSU was a giant killer with some big upset road wins. Even the game with the Cuse at the Dome that offfered us no return game, was productive for both our Program's pocket book but quite a shot in the arm for some positive National exposure. Young recruits also watch these games and see that WSU is now for real.

The last 2 years were very productive for the Valley with banner victories and for WSU. Last year did not result with the text-book ending WSU wanted, but I feel great that we are moving forward.
                      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan
                        Last year, early on, WSU was a giant killer with some big upset road wins. Even the game with the Cuse at the Dome that offfered us no return game, was productive for both our Program's pocket book but quite a shot in the arm for some positive National exposure. Young recruits also watch these games and see that WSU is now for real.

The last 2 years were very productive for the Valley with banner victories and for WSU. Last year did not result with the text-book ending WSU wanted, but I feel great that we are moving forward.
                        You're exactly correct. And if UNC or Duke ever called up HCGM and offered a buyin game, I'm sure he'd take it in a heartbeat. You can't buy what WSU got last year at the Cuse. (They did, but that's another thing all together).

Comment

Unlike other folks around Valley message boards, I had no problem with Wichita State taking a guarantee game at Syracuse last year. I think SIU should take one every now and then, especially if it's televised. There's incredible value in that kind of exposure.

That being said, there's 100 ways to skin a cat. SIU's scheduling philosophy is different from Wichita State's, which is different from Creighton's, which is ... etc.

That diversity is what makes the basketball world go round. :)

Comment

Working...
                          X