a&M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a&M

turgeon's team ranked #51 in collegehoopsnet.net's annual poll of the top 144 teams. you can see it virus free today!

I'm sure the TexAgs are going to nuke this one.

They're just off a Sweet Sixteen, lost one player (Law is a huge loss), and picked up a future Top 5 NBA draft pick.

Most of their posters expect them to be better this year, and will cry foul if they're not picked in the Top 25.
    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

Comment

They haven't picked up on the ranking yet, but I did pull this from a review of one of MT's speeches.

* Extremely happy and excited to be in College Station
      * First "Welcome to Texas" moment involved a water moccasin hanging out in his bbq grill. Compared the snake to Rick Barnes jokingly.
      * The Montana State game opened his eyes to what it means to be an Aggie. He didn't feel comfortable saying "Howdy" or "Gig 'em" before then.
      * Defense will look very similar to last year. Maybe a little more zone due the Jones/Jordan combo not matching up well against some other front lines, specifically the more athletic 4s.
      * Offense should be more fluid and more creative. Thought last year was too much of a structured system. Wants to let the players play a little more.
      * Prides himself on player development.

Either he's telling them what they want to hear, or he's acknowledging what went wrong here as well.
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle
        * Offense should be more fluid and more creative. Thought last year was too much of a structured system. Wants to let the players play a little more.
        Now that's rich. :yes:

Comment

I'll be rooting for MT!!! :good:
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

* Defense will look very similar to last year. Maybe a little more zone due the Jones/Jordan combo not matching up well against some other front lines, specifically the more athletic 4s.
            Has MT had an epiphany? I'd really like to know what he's thinking that that style needs to be done at aTm, but that style didn't need to be done at WSU last year.

SIU struggled against zones all year. Even SIU posters were saying "want to beat us, just throw up a zone - any zone".

Mekel was creative, but every time he created, it "wasn't in the system" and Mekel got benched. Yes, I know, sometimes Mekel created a pass into the 3rd row or off a front court player's head, but Mekel wasn't allowed any creativity or he was benched.

What happened to Turg's often stated, "I don't know how to coach a zone, but we're working on it"? Did he learn how to coach a zone this summer?

I thought Turg was pretty honest and straight-up with fans when he was here. What he's saying at aTm sounds more like what I would expect from a politician.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

im on the fence

as much as I appreciate the man and will continue to follow his career I could really care less about what he does with aTm as far as playing style goes. Because honestly it wont help him beat us!!

Comment

I know this is a bash session, but it should be noted that any zone played will be more than A&M played last year and any motion to the offense will make it more fluid than last year under Gillespie. Billy G. was not known for high octane offense and probably is farther into the belief of man to man than MT is, if that's even possible.

Comment

I'll be rooting for MT!!!
                  Ditto from here.

Comment

SIU struggled against zones all year. Even SIU posters were saying "want to beat us, just throw up a zone - any zone".

What happened to Turg's often stated, "I don't know how to coach a zone, but we're working on it"? Did he learn how to coach a zone this summer?

[/quote]

Coach Tony Barone, former head coach at Creighton and now a women's coach at Syracuse University, told me that Coach Turgeon was on campus this last summer. Coach Barone said Coach Turgeon was enrolled in Coach Boheim's annual summer course on Zone Defense. The course covers zone theory and practical application in both a classroom and on-court setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
                      Coach Tony Barone, former head coach at Creighton and now a women's coach at Syracuse University, told me that Coach Turgeon was on campus this last summer. Coach Barone said Coach Turgeon was enrolled in Coach Boheim's annual summer course on Zone Defense. The course covers zone theory and practical application in both a classroom and on-court setting.
                      You think that was a little awkward? :yes:

Comment

if its taught by boheim, then it won't be long before turgeon starts bashing the so-called mid-majors and whining that his rpi is 55 and didn't get into the tournament, but because he plays in the big 12 and doesn't go on the road, he should have.

Comment

Turgeon's system for smaller inferior athletes beat Boeheim's last year.
                          We played them man to man on defense inspite of the great indiviual mismatches. They blocked 11 of our shots but we stayed with it. It is amazing what can be accomplished when the game is played as a team.

I bet Mark went to more than just Boeheim's class on zone defenses. He'd already kicked his arse.

On the day of the game the Syracuse newspaper had a scouting report on WSU. The writer had called a coach of a prior opponent. The article went into detail about the offense, especially the secondary break. It was obvious that none of their coaches had read the article.

Comment

Originally posted by shockball
                            Turgeon's system for smaller inferior athletes beat Boeheim's last year.
                            We played them man to man on defense inspite of the great indiviual mismatches. They blocked 11 of our shots but we stayed with it. It is amazing what can be accomplished when the game is played as a team.

I bet Mark went to more than just Boeheim's class on zone defenses. He'd already kicked his arse.

On the day of the game the Syracuse newspaper had a scouting report on WSU. The writer had called a coach of a prior opponent. The article went into detail about the offense, especially the secondary break. It was obvious that none of their coaches had read the article.
                            Most coaches do not rely on the sports section for its scouting report.

Comment

It was just so obvious that the sportswriter had taken more initiative than any of their coaches. We scored repeatedly off the secondary break early in the game. Syracuse did not have a clue.

Comment

Working...
                              X